My first 30 gal salt water been going for 1 week now if this works looking for bigger tank?

coopejam000

Im new to salt water fish so looking for some info or some advice where i should go or what i should be looking at doing next. any help accepter. 30 gal hex tank with 2 ocilaris clown fish, 1 domino damsel, 1 blue coral beauty, an anenome, and 4 hermit crabs for sand aeration. about 25 lbs of live rock bout 10lbs of live sand as substrate, tank has been running bout 3 months prior to the fish. using a marineland penguin 200 bio wheel filter for 50 gallon tanks, propellar type water circ. im using a 200 watt lcd display heater, and as of right now a actinic 420 coral light. on delivery is a protein skimmer, along with a 70 watt metal halide light system, and a set of 4 blue led light for moon light, simulation. tank temp is always 82 F. sal. is at 1.022ph is at 8.4 ammonia is 1.5 ppm, nitrite is 0, nitrate is at 40 ppm, i am using ammonia treater right now and just did a 25%water change to try and lower the nitrates in the water. feeding them frozen brine, but today picked up.. OCEAN NUTRITION- formula one marine pellets for food also. Any good at all? any and all comments welcome!!!!

flower

Welcome to the site.
LOL..you need to turn your pictures around before you post them. Looking sideways..it looks pretty good, I think you could use a nice background and clean the water spots off..
Next...ditch the pellets and the brine shrimp get some frozen mysis shrimp. The pellets and brine are a waste of money and no good for your fish.

lion_crazz

]I would do larger water changes if you are dealing with that high of an ammonia issue. More live rock in place of some of those decorations will help majorly as well. Just make sure you get cured live rock since you already have live stock in the aquarium.
Also, what kind of water are you putting in the aquarium?

btldreef

I agree, bigger water changes and more live rock are a must.
Stop feeding pellets, your fish would benefit much more from frozen foods such as Mysis Shrimp, Emerald Entree and Marine Cuisine. Most local stores sell these products and they are readily available online as well.
IMO, the fake plants and decorations are collecting detritus which is keeping your ammonia and nitrate readings higher that they should be. Ditch the decor and get more live rock.
Your tank is very new for an anemone so keep an eye on that.
You may find that a smaller powerhead lower in the tank helps as well.
I think you need a larger CUC, add some Nassarius and Cerith snails as well as Astrea and Trochus. A pair of skunk cleaner shrimps would be nice as well.
best of luck :)

sweatervest13

What kink of rock is the red one?? I am glad you took the fake plants out, it looks a lot better with out them. How is all the live stock doing? How's your water paramaters? Good Luck!!! And Welcome.

meowzer

YES, much better w/o the fake stuff.....Where did you get the rock? also curious as to what typs of rock it is