My first order at SWF.com

jgonier

Well I finally got the nerve to buy online without looking at what I was buying first. I am very nervous about buying before seing, but I will see how it goes.
Here is a list of what I got today.
Code:
[pre]Order information
Product Name Quantity Price Per Unit
Duster Cluster 1 $14.99
Shaving Brush - Group of 5 1 $19.99
Cerith Snail - Group of 5 1 $9.99
Orange Linkia Star 1 $19.99
Urchin Combo 1 $14.99
Total Shipping: $0.00
Total Surcharge: $4.99
Total Fuel Charge: $1.99
Total Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $86.93[/pre]

jgonier

The orange linka star only gets to about 4" in adult size from what I have read. Most others get to 8 to 12" in size. That is why I went with the "hard as hell" to find orange linka.
Should be just fine in a 20 gal.
Here is what I found on them...........
Orange Linkia Starfish - Linckia species
The Orange Linkia Starfish may grow to 3 inches. Omnivore, like to eat filter feed (invert food, brine shrimp, micro-plankton) a few times per week, when open.. The Linckia species is generally peaceful toward other tankmates. Reef-safe. Many consider the Linckia species a low-maintenance specimen. Not venomous. Algae eater. Needs places to hide. Be careful with copper-based medication and extreme nitrate levels. Do not expose to air. Keep water quality high (SG 1.023 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).

thedraven

Just placed my first order with these guys sunday night, and heres my list...
Foxface Lo 39.99
Fighting Conch 7.29
Royal Gramma 12.99
Orange Linkia Star 19.99
Im trying to get the linkia to keep my aquarium glass and substrate algae under control, as well as the conch. Keeping my fingers crossed on the quality of the specimens, how about posting a followup to this thread when you get your fish?
:jumping:

jgonier

Will do. I feel like a kid at christmas time, I CAN'T WAIT!!!
I bought the last of the Orange Linkia Stars, LOL. As soon as I placed my order, the status went to "Add to wish list". Ordered just in time, LOL.

tervman

I would really be interested to hear how your Orange Linkia Star is doing after a week or so, and after a couple of weeks. I ordered one, from our hosts, a couple of weeks ago, and it died while still in the 6-day guarantee period.
An absolute bummer....

thedraven

That sounds horrible... hopefully mine will be alright, Ive finally established a consistant lighting pattern for my tank and the algae is growing over everything in the tank, so theres plenty to munch on. Ive had a brittlestar for a while and hes been doing fine so far, so I know they have no problems with my water chemistry. Guess I'll find out when my order arrives...

jgonier

Well I got my order today. Everything was alive (which is a good start) and everything looks real good. Very impressed so far. I am however a little disappointed in the duster cluster. I have never seen one before except the picture on this web site and what I got does not really look like the picture. I figured they would be attached to a rock or something and of different colors, but their just a clump of little dusters and their all the same color (orange). I am still happy in them anyhow, and they will still make a nice addition to my tank.
My linkia star I think I have already fell in love with, as with my urchins. Talk about the cutest things I've seen. These are going to be fun to watch.
Hope your order comes to you in good condition and everything is health thedraven. Let me know how your order turns out.

thedraven

My order also came in this morning... very nice specimens. The foxface lo is pretty big (about 5-6") compared to the ones Ive seen in lfs tanks. Incredible fish, hes very friendly and inquistive, not to mention handsome. The conch is doing wonderfully, the gramma is still perched in the rockwork... but the star is acting odd. Its hard to tell if a star is doing ok initially, I had a scary time with my brittle. Still, the brittle was far more active than this guy. I released him underwater (careful not to expose him to air), and he flipped himself over and stuck partially to the glass. Hasnt moved since then, so Im keeping a close eye on him. I realized I had initally mistaken him for the Orange Starfish, but he is actually a red linkia (aka orange linkia) - Ive been reading the wrong care sheet!! Hope he survives... my salinity rose about .002 after a water change today, and I know now how sensitive he can be to that...
:nervous:

nudibranch

JGonier - Can you give me a little more info on what your duster cluster is like (ie size, ~# of dusters, etc) and possibly a pic? I'm interested in a cluster for my tank, but I need a very small one. Thanx! I appreciate it!

jbone

Just placed my first order the other day. A reef kit and a lawnmower blenny. Trying to get some help with algea. Should be here tommorow, can't wait!:happy:

jgonier

Originally posted by Nudibranch
JGonier - Can you give me a little more info on what your duster cluster is like (ie size, ~# of dusters, etc) and possibly a pic? I'm interested in a cluster for my tank, but I need a very small one. Thanx! I appreciate it!

I don't have a camera to take photo's, but if your looking for a small cluster than this is what you want. What I got was three little clusters with about 10 to 20 in each. They are very small. I would say when their fully extended out, they may be up to an inch tall and some even smaller.
What I would like to know is if there is a way to anchor them down, cuz ther current in my tank is kind of blowing them across the bottom of the tank a little bit.
Anyone have any idea's on that?

thedraven

Whew... came home today and the linkia is doing fine. He was completely stuck on the glass, hanging out and being cute. But now that he seems fine, the foxface is worrying me. Like I said, hes a bit big (5-6") and I worry that he may be too small for my tank, despite the research I did on him (every source said 70 gals is fine). With the lights off, he tends to be somewhat calm, but with the blue actinics on he goes nuts and darts back and forth gasping and bumping the ends of the tank with his nose. Im forced to keep the light off so he calms down... Maybe hes just still adjusting? Nothing in my tank could be bothering him (everything else is tiny and nonaggressive). Also, I noticed he has a small wound (a small crater where scales are missing - the wound is not open however), I only noticed this in the blue actnic light. Plus he has tiny white things peeling from his nose only - this does not look like ick, it looks like tiny flakes. Nothing else on his body, just his nose. *sighs* Maybe this wasnt such a good idea after all.

nudibranch

JGonier - Thanks for the info. I have a nano reef (less than 1g) and I would like a VERY small cluster say maybe .5"X.5" and the height really isn't an issue. I have a nice corner of the tank about that size that I could neatly place them in. What was the LXW of the individual clusters? A rough guess is fine, I don't expect you to get a ruler out. :smile: I'm sorry if this sounds nit picky, but real estate is VERY $$ in this tank and I would prefer not to have a duster cluster tank. Though now that I'm saying this the idea sounds kind neat. I just might have to get another .75g tank...:thinking:
THX in advance!

jgonier

Originally posted by Nudibranch
JGonier - Thanks for the info. I have a nano reef (less than 1g) and I would like a VERY small cluster say maybe .5"X.5" and the height really isn't an issue. I have a nice corner of the tank about that size that I could neatly place them in. What was the LXW of the individual clusters? A rough guess is fine, I don't expect you to get a ruler out. :smile: I'm sorry if this sounds nit picky, but real estate is VERY $$ in this tank and I would prefer not to have a duster cluster tank. Though now that I'm saying this the idea sounds kind neat. I just might have to get another .75g tank...:thinking:
THX in advance!

Each cluster was about 2"x2"

mwest10

Well Sunday I ordered:
1 orange linkia star (that I had been wanting for about 6-mths) (DIED)
10 blue leg hermits
2 ricordia polps
3 sand sifting crabs (ONE DOA)
5 brushy ? plants (I need to look the name back up) (THREE LOOKING BAD)
1 cleaner shrimp
Well my order shipped out Tuesday and I received it Wednesday. One of my sand sifting crabs was DOA -- sent him back. I still followed the acclimation procedures exactly hoping it was in shock or something -- but it wasn't. The first day my beautiful starfish moved alittle -- I was so happy with it until I woke up the next morning and it had died over night and looked kind of mushy (prehaps my cleaning crew got to it?), now three of my plants look awful.
I don't understand why everything is doing so badly -- everything except the cleaner shrimp, hermits, and ricordea? My parameters are excellent. Never had anything to die before and I've been set up for about 1 year.
My 55 gallon tank inhabitants include:
1 pepermint shrimp
1 orange tailed damsel
1 yellow tailed damsel
1 ocillarios clown
1 sand star
13 hermits
5 narciss??? snails
5 turbos snails
3 abalong snails
I'm so disappointed, I've never ordered anything live online before, I've tried emailing SWF and they haven't emailed me back!!! Wish I could get my money back for those dead things which has ended up being half of my order. DONT THINK I'LL EVER ORDER HERE AGAIN

thedraven

Concerning the linkia... How was your acclimation? Most people would recommened a long acclimation via drip method, and no exposure to air. Then again, they are very finicky creatures... most people here seem to have problems with keeping them, even in long established tanks. Very high mortality rates.
:nope:

mwest10

I acclimated the linkia using the drip method as described on the website. I left the starfish in the newly bought bucket for between 3 1/2 to 4 hours just to be on the safe side. When it was time to release him, I got a bowl and placed it gently beside it when the star came close I gently scooped it in (with water) and placed the star and water into my aquarium. I know your not suppose to put that water in your aquarium but I couldn't figure out any other way.
Overall I was very proud of myself for following the acclimation instructions so precisely. Unfortunately my starfish died. I had wanted an orange linkia for so long and tried to wait until I thought my aquarium would be established enough for one.
My personal opinion is that I followed the instruction exactly and had all my parameters right on the money for my much anticipated linkia -- I had done all the research about its specific needs. It just arrived in bad health. It was beautiful while it lasted.

WHY DID HALF MY ORDER DIE? HAS ANYONE HAD LUCK LIKE THIS?
I'M NOT ORDERING FROM SWF ANYMORE!!! I'LL STICK WITH MY LFS.
IT MAY BE MORE EXPENSIVE BUT EVERYTHING I'VE GOT FROM THERE
STILL ALIVE!!!:mad:

derrikd

i have a orange linka in my 180 he is doing great. i also have 6 other starfish in there. i did drip them slow, you have to take your time. and do not take them out of the water at all, so i little water transfer will happen, but with the drip you have have so much your water in there any way. i allways dump the water off as much as i can. mine do climb to the top of the tank and come out of the water with there legs. i also hand feed mine squid.

wakeskater

I KNOW THAT FOWLR MEANS FISH ONLY WITH LIVE ROCK BUT DOES THIS MEAN YOU HAVE NO LS? IF SO CAN YOU POST A PICTURE OF YOUR TANKS I AM CURIOUS TO SEE WHAT THE TANK LOOKS RIGHT.