My first Reef tank

thatwireguy

Hey guys, I'm new here and new to Saltwater tanks. I will be posting my progress of my new 90 gallon Reef tank. I started out with a 55 gallon, then came across a great deal on a 90 so I transferred everything (LS, LR,Water and Fish) to the new tank. Luckily nothing died. Here is some pics of the first tank and the new one. I started my original setup a little over 3 months ago. I'll post more later.
1 cinnamon clown
1 clark's clown
2 chromis
1 yellowtail damsel
2 anemones
1 star serpant
1 coral banded shrimp
lots of snails and crabs
1 leather coral
1 colt leather (un sure, it was a hitchhiker)
and a lot of red mushrooms.
4 54 watt t5's
2 #4 powerheads
2 emperor 400's
150+lbs of LR
led moonlight strip

fanker

very nice. coming along great. might wanna bump up the filtration like a sump and skimmer. how do u like the glo-lights? thats what u have right? my brothers got the 2x54w for his freshwater planted tank. he loves it

thatwireguy

Originally Posted by fanker
http:///forum/post/3035933
very nice. coming along great. might wanna bump up the filtration like a sump and skimmer. how do u like the glo-lights? thats what u have right? my brothers got the 2x54w for his freshwater planted tank. he loves it
I wanted to do a sump, but this tank wasnt drilled nor will my stand house a sump setup. Protein skimmer and a decent Background are my next purchases.
Yes they are Glo lights. I have 2 fixtures with 2 54watt bulbs each. They seem to be working great so far. I don't have much corals yet to tell for sure but it should do fine. I'm waiting for my anemones to settle in before I add more coral.
Thanks for the props guys...

nycbob

nice. u can actually ditch the hob filters and replace it with another koralia. ur liverocks and caluerpa plant will act as filters, absorbing nutrients and cleaning the water.

thatwireguy

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3036266
nice. u can actually ditch the hob filters and replace it with another koralia. ur liverocks and caluerpa plant will act as filters, absorbing nutrients and cleaning the water.
Really? I didn't know that.It will still stay clean? I also plan on adding more rock to bring up the sides on the reef.

culp

Originally Posted by thatwireguy
http:///forum/post/3036202
I don't have much corals yet to tell for sure but it should do fine. I'm waiting for my anemones to settle in before I add more coral.
even after your anemone settles and picks a spot. it could decide to begin moving around again at any time. so you'll have to keep a eye on it to make sure your ready if it depends to move again.

thatwireguy

Yeah, that what I hear. So far so good. I have one that my female clown loves and I put its foot in a hole, its been there for almost a month, the other is new. I added it for my male clown. Its been there for less than a week. He gets to sleep in it, but my lady clown owns it as well during the day. I'm crossing my fingers. A lot of my corals I will start with frags from my buddies here locally. A lot easier on my wallet!

oceansidefish

You can ditch the HOB filters definately....A hice HOB skimmer will be totoally worth it, get the best one you can. I would keep one HOB filter handy so you can run carbon once a month to keep that water crystal clear.

maryg

There is nothing wrong with using a HOB filter. You can never have enough filtration. Using it for the carbon alone is worth it. I run one in my 55. It also gets full of pods!

thatwireguy

I'm gonna leave the HOB's on for now. I want a skimmer, just waiting for more cash. I may run one HOB and a skimmer.I'm getting some more LR tomorrow for 2 bucks a lb.Hopefully they have some nice pieces so I can build up the sides of my reef. Ill post more pics when I add it.

thatwireguy

Okay, I added some big LR pieces today. About 65+ lbs worth. And I got a very nice Frogspawn as well. I finally added fish to my 20 gallon reef tank (2 very small Ocellaris clowns). Now working on a coralife retro-kit for the 20 . Has 2 65w ballasts.
I'll post some new pics later.

thatwireguy

Here they are. The frog spawn wasn't opened all the way, it was only in the tank an hour before the pics. What a difference a few big rocks will do.