My First SW Tank

ShaggNastee

I forgot to mention about a week ago I bought a cleaner shrimp and a fire fish. The cleaner shrimp is really bold and intelligent. He loves to watch me. The fire fish is hiding a lot but does come out from time to time to feed. I’m hoping it will become comfortable because it is quite a smart fish with lots of character.

ShaggNastee

So my cleaner shrimp stepped on the anemone today and it’s mouth got huge and it started expelling zooxanthella for about 3min. I’m quite worried for it’s well being right now. If anyone has advice I would appreciate it.

ShaggNastee

5F55E8E4-6BD2-4C21-995D-D23C913A9488.jpeg
Here is my tank at the 3 month marker. The Mini Maxi looks to be doing better. It’s mouth has retracted back and the bleaching in the center is darkening a hair. It didn’t eat any salmon yesterday, but it may have still been full from the dead hermit crab I’d fed it last weekend. I’m worried, however, that my fire fish has ick. I noticed last night, it has what looked like sand particles on its rear fin. I wish it wouldn’t hide so often, it’s hard to keep an eye on it’s health when it stays hidden. On another note, the shrimp have fast become my favorite additions so far. They are much smarter and braver than any of my fish, and they can already be hand fed or they will even host my hand and pick dead skin off and eat it. That part, truly was a treat.

Last edited:

ShaggNastee

C6F28380-1BCE-427F-9150-6F832BC32CA3.jpeg
33331CFC-3743-4649-8DE0-2F11CA2935B7.jpeg
B6BBB981-76AA-49E5-8A1F-C8684DE404D2.jpeg
7252FC21-CB88-475D-A62E-542200B57A02.jpeg
24A453B7-CD03-40E9-969F-6957C2F2E61F.jpeg
Finally got my sump set up. First time having to learn plumbing, but I was able to engineer it to prevent over flow of both my MT or my sump. I gotta admit I’m just a little bit proud of myself right now...just a lil bit...lol.

ShaggNastee

Ok I did it. I purchased a pair of clown fish and a starfish today to celebrate my sump working out. As such. I wanted to share all the names of our critters at this time, being that the only other tank mates I may get would be a 6 Line Wrasse, an Aptasia Eating Nudibranc or one of those fancy Purple Damsels. So here are the full names and list of my tank mates.
Mini Maxi Anemone - Gringo
Peppermint Shrimp - Speedy Gonzalase
Cleaner Shrimp - Ester the ________
Chocolate Starfish - Sirious Black
Feather Duster Worm - Earthworm Jim
Fire Fish - Fawkes
1st Cardinal Fish - Tank
2nd Cardinal Fish - Ghost
2 Clown Fish - Bonnie and Clide

beaslbob

Sounds like you did better on your sump than my first sump. I tested for power out (no flood), power return (normal operation returns), but forgot to test drain failure (sump doesn't flood). So after a few month had a wet floor. LOL

my .02

ShaggNastee

Well as proud as I am of it I quickly found out that I need an overflow. My top water gets nasty and I think I can fashion an overflow around my intake, but I don’t know how I can control the flow on the intake. I think maybe a another control valve on the return and try to dial them in, but with gravity flow you have to turn it on full blast to remove air bubbles trapped inside the pipe causing inconsistent flow, which in turn means I’ll have to re-tune it every time. Lol. Almost wish I was a plumber.