My first tank

cvinsant

Duke JJZ,
I love your tank, it looks awesome! I really want to do a salt water tank, I havent had one before. So I am searching on here for ideas. How long did it take you to cycle before you added fish? Also, do you mind telling me how expensive it was to get the tank and lights, live sand, altogther rough estimate on cost before adding the fish and corals?
Thanks! I would love to keep seeing pictures of your tank.
Christina:)

I

ivanfj

Very nice nano tank. You are speeding btw, I can't believe how fast you can make your nano looks so nice. It took me 4 months to add my 4th piece of corals. Nice job
Keep us updated.

duke jjz

Originally posted by cvinsant
Duke JJZ,
I love your tank, it looks awesome! I really want to do a salt water tank, I havent had one before. So I am searching on here for ideas. How long did it take you to cycle before you added fish? Also, do you mind telling me how expensive it was to get the tank and lights, live sand, altogther rough estimate on cost before adding the fish and corals?
Thanks! I would love to keep seeing pictures of your tank.
Christina:)

Hey Christina!
Thanks for the kind words! It took about 4 full weeks for the tank to finish the cycle. However, I cycled with 2 damsels - so technically i added fish within the first week. As for cost, its tough to say. A rough estimate on total cost minus livestock (and corals) would be around $725. That is a ballpark - I never really kept an itemized list.

duke jjz

Originally posted by Laddy
What kind of mechanical filter is that on the right?

Thats not a filter, its a powerhead (Hagen 201)

mashadar

i'm replying to the algae comment. I was just browsing this website ( I don't have a fish tank yet), but wouldn't a cleaner shrimp help control the algae - or would it not because it's on the bottom of the tank?

viper_930

Originally posted by wocka
he would probly get 3.5" in that size of a tank, but in something bigger they can get up to 6"

Their size that they grow to depends on the size of the tank? :notsure: :confused:

*bta*

Originally posted by ViPeR_930
Their size that they grow to depends on the size of the tank? :notsure: :confused:

yes it does actually, well not sure for salt water, but my pond for exa,ple, my gold fish and koi wont grow to to be 2 feet or so because the pond is small and they wouldnt have enough room, but the bigger the pond the bigger the fish can grow, one again im not sure if thats true for salt water

C

caryn_ia

SW fish do not only grow to the size of their tank. If they do, it's because of stunted growth, and will not be healthy or live a long life. And you wouldn't want them to be unhappy. (It's also not entirely true for FW either, thou some do.) :yes:

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Caryn_IA
SW fish do not only grow to the size of their tank. If they do, it's because of stunted growth, and will not be healthy or live a long life. And you wouldn't want them to be unhappy. (It's also not entirely true for FW either, thou some do.) :yes:

ON top of that they will become stressed which leads to disease. The maroon is a larger, more aggressive clown.
FOr the person who stated that they are easier to get to feed then percs to get to eat must've had a wild caught perc or one with a problem. Percs and Oscellaris are both hardy eaters and amongst the easiest fish to keep.
Keeping a large clown like a maroon in a small tank will lead to poor water quality. You are really rushing things by adding so much so fast .... I'd suggest getting rid of the maroon now and letting the tank water's chemistry catch-up to all your additions. You have added 6 fairly decent sized live animals to a small tank and that does not include your "other inverts" that you have added. That with no listed mechincal filtration can lead to disaster.

overanalyzer

I take that back I see your bio-wheel - but I still believe your tank was stocked too quickly and that the maroon is not an appropriate choice for a 10 gallon.
PLease remember these fish morph into females - and females get bigger than males - so this fish will be a 4 or 5 inch long fish when all is said and done ...
also sorry if it sounds like I am
or
but I have made enough errors in judgement in the past for everyone on this board and over stocking a nano was one of them ....

cimpow137

What size tank would you reccomend for a pair of maroons? Cuz I think they are gorgeous and I was thinking of maybe getting a pair for my 29g tank...

viper_930

Originally posted by cimpow137
What size tank would you reccomend for a pair of maroons? Cuz I think they are gorgeous and I was thinking of maybe getting a pair for my 29g tank...

IMO 40 gallon minimum.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by cimpow137

That would be pushing it - figure a mated pair to come in around 8.5 total inches per fish (not including tails) that would require a 40 gallon plus tank.
NOW - if you have a sump and refugium that give you a water volume of 40+ gallons I'd say go for it. Clowns do not swim far away from their home base. So if you feed in the same place they will hardly ever leave a very small spot on the reef.
So if they are the only inhabitants of a 29 gallon tank with a sump and refugium of about 25 gallons you would have more than enough filtration and water volume and enough space for them to feel comfortable.
If all you want is a cool tank for the mated pair I would look @ the standard cheapy 55 gallon tank. Get a NICE PC lighting set-up and get a huge colony of xenia's in the tank. The maroons would host in the xenia (what a cool contrast of reds), there would be room for a lot more coral, and the xenia would spread well. I'd be leary of putting any other fish in with them though as they are very territorial.
Good luck - keep us posted!!

manjisann

I bow before most of everyones vast experience (that is not meant to be sarcastic). I had a maroon in a 50 gal. tank and he was not really territorial at all. I had a Bullet goby, a Lawn Mower Blenny, a Catalina Goby (I only learned afterwards that they are more cold water and that is probably why he didn't last very long.) and a Damsel ( it was a big mistake adding him, he chased out several other fish, hate damsels). The clown and bullet goby actually seemed to hang out and he never really chased any one aroung except the damsel. Of course maybe my clown was just a nice guy.