My FOWLR 55 gallon tank diary, first saltwater tank.

socks002

HI!! :) i quickly got addicted to this hobby as i knew i would. My mom gave me some guppies and i started my first 5 gallon fresh water tank. i wanted to do more so i decided to try saltwater out, one of the first thing i did was run out and bought a 55 gallon glass tank. Starting out with FOWLR because i knew it would be easier. Over a month later and so far this is what i have,
40 pounds of aragonite sand
some live rock
3 foot instant reef package
hang on power filter
curculation pump
Fish:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 Heniochus butterfly fish
temporarilly 1 blue hippo tang that i will be giving to someone with a larger tank, hopefully i can find someone :(
i rushed, ALOT. even though i knew i shouldnt. just looking to improve. Need advise. Also i want to upgraid my filter its not good produces way to many bubbles. any ideas? canister??
Hope this tread is in the right topic

socks002

Also, anyone know how i could tell if my floor could handle a bigger tank? im not shure if its a good idea to upgriad to a 100 gall but i thought about it at times for my blue tang.

snakeblitz33

Canister filters have some advantages and a lot of disadvantages, IMHO. I wouldn't mess with it - but then again there are several people on this forum who have used them successfully in the past.
You should have a lot more live rock in there then that. I would get rid of all the plastic decor and at least buy some base rock if your are strapped for cash.
What kind of floor do you have? Are you on a second story? Is your house built off the ground? Is your house on a concrete slab?

socks002

The tank is on the 1st floor, its a tile floor that is built on the ground. What kind of filtration method would you recommend? Also I will be adding a lot more live rock. I got the instant rock because it looked a lot better online. It was overpriced

socks002

I debated it with myself for awhile but I've come to the decision. To lose the. Fake decor and do all live rock.

scooterblennie

Hi, I have a 55 of 6 mouths now i have had my downs along the way luv my tank
I only have a canstier and a in tank fillter no skimmer want one now
I have alot of bubbles too and will have tell i get skemmer this is why
I fill the tank up to get rade of the bubbles 1 week later 4 dead fish 6 not looking so great
I done water test all was find what did i do??? no air put a air stone in and started a water change
before I started putting water back in the fish started to look better dose this make any sens on what happen
any way i keep my water 2 to 3" down now tell i get a skimmer

scooterblennie

i love this hobby been though alot from race cars to rc cars to dirt bike and 4 wheelers this i the best i don't get hurt lol just my feelings sometimes

socks002

Nice tank. I would like to do a reef tank but can't because of my bannerfish. I like that fish a lot its cool to watch. When I first got him he instantly dived at this small green clam I had and killed it:cry: but I still like the fish after all it's not reef safe so not its fault.

E

eric b 125

socks: welcome to the site. i think that you'll be fine upgrading to a larger tank on that floor. my suggestion would be a 6" tank if you have the space, especially if you want to keep tangs. you should think of getting a skimmer. definitely more rock. check out marco rocks: best bang for your buck IMO.

E

eric b 125

also, if you raise the water level in the tank it should help with the bubbles from the filter

socks002

They are nicely priced :) think I'll get the 40 pounds of Fiji live. So is this rock cured? Do I need to rinse it or anything?

socks002

HELP!! im not shure whats going on, my bannerfish looks pail, color faided but hes still active. also my water is starting to get kinda cloudy looking. Is this bacteria bloom? my ammonia and nitrite and nitrate tested zero and ph tested 8.0. salinity is 1.025 tested with refractometer.Actually my bannerfish is starting to get color back now lol. i did leave thier light off durring work and was gone for 10 hours wonder if he didnt like the lake of light. im fixing to plug in my light timer so that i can have thier light on fore 8 hours during work. thier just LEDs. Hey just a question should i keep an ammonia and nitrait remover for emergences? do they work?

socks002

So in a few months or many a little more I'm thinking of upgrading to a 100 gall tank and stand. I need suggestions on where to look online.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks002 http:///forum/thread/387322/my-fowlr-55-gallon-tank-diary-first-saltwater-tank#post_3407788
So in a few months or many a little more I'm thinking of upgrading to a 100 gall tank and stand. I need suggestions on where to look online.
The best place to get a tank and stand is either craigslist or ebay... there are tons out there and you just have to be patient until one comes on the market... after all, the number 1 rule of this hobby is patience, right? LOL!
A tank and or stand is just a glass box or a wood frame... it makes no difference if they are bought new or used, they are the same...

socks002

I'm really strapped for cash so when I saw one website had 45 lds of Fiji live for 79 I got pretty excited. Then saw shipping wa:rotfl:s another 70. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: