My friends tank

entice59

My friend's 40 gallon reef tank with the built in wetdry in the back.
He built the box like thing to support the jbj's and to stop the light from heating the tank... some ventilation he says....

entice59

I know you guys said i shouldnt put a mangrove in the tank fully submerged, but my friend has done this for a year now and the mangrove hasnt died, it actually grew new leafs last month

entice59

maroon clown and anomie, man this clown is a hard worker, it will pick up little crushed coral from its mouth and move it away from the anomie and will move piles of crushed coral/sand with its tail

j21kickster

the first is a candycane coral- it looks pretty algea over grown he needs to keep that algae off- this is common for candycanes to do this- the galagy coral should have brighter light than what he is keeping it under-keep other corals away- it can sting from a far- the mangrove are used to having leaves submerged- however this is only for a while as the mature it will not survive like that - only the roots will be underwater the rest will outgrow the tank andin one year- it should be bigger than that- so i cant say it is thriving- HTH

entice59

he has 192 watt pc, as for the mangrove, he wanted it for looks and didnt even know mangroves are used in refuge..

entice59

would it be alright if i put a mangrove in a flowerpot type container and let it grow somewhere in the house where light is avalable? that would be nice look in the house
fill up the pot with saltwater and and some crushed coral then put it next to a window
i have two actually my friend has the other one, he wants me to give it back, so i will have two soon, the mangrove i have now the leaf is actually outside of the tank, sorry to fustrate you with another mangrove question but i forgot, if the leaf is dry and the rest is wet, would that be alright?

does your friend have a good cleaning crew in there? i mean no offence, but that tank is looking to be in pretty sad shape. i think it could definatly use a good cleaning if you ask me. once again, don't take any offence, it's just my opinion.

entice59

no offence taken :D, not my tank, all he has is some blue leg hermits and a cleaner, he actually just moved from san francisco to san jose(1 hour drive) a month ago, it actually looked better before the move, i actually told him about refugiums and told him it is way better to use RO/DI water for his tank
He still lives in sanfrancisco and checks up on the tank every week, i told him to do weekly water changes opposed to one month changes, we'll see if he keeps his word :rolleyes:

entice59

hm... seems like the mangroves i thought were going to be easy just keep on getting more complacated :rolleyes:, i'll give it a try in the tank and see how it goes, im not going to rely on it as filtertation but as a decoration, same with the pot idea, it would be a nice look in my cousins house next to the turtle tank
j21kickster thanks again for your expertise in the world of saltwater:D
also, i noticed you use a enhiem canister filter(are they easy to use?), would you recommend that over my dad's marineland emperor filter, in his 55 gallon, im converting it, just took out the water. Im going to try for 60 lbs of uncured live rock and 250 lbs of playsand and put it in during the cycle, its going to be a fish only tank but no big triggers/angels and such just things like blennies and gobies

bigeyedfish

Yeah that mangrove isnt thriving. I had one that sprouted leaves every month or so. its not even a year old and has four layers of leaves. If you get it above water and spray the leaves with fresh H2O once a day it'll grow like crazy. HTH

j21kickster

entice- the eheims are better than any hang on powerfilter i have used- and i have used most of them - most are the same- if you want hangon power- tetra tec filters are awsome- one, because ther is room for double the filter cartridges and two you can put the heater in the filter- there are ones made to go in this filter- here is a pic- but the eheim filters are awsome- easy and you can fut so many different types of filter media in them.
here is the tetra tec i have running on my 20 propagation tank- the heater sits in the intake to keep the water heated all the same temp= so you dont have to have the heater in your tank or worry about having balanced heating:D

j21kickster

also that chamber w/ the sponge fills to the top then empties creating a small surge in the tank then refils and so on- it also has directional output so it dosent all just go straight into the tank

j21kickster

it already comes with all of it - depending where you get it- but in addition i used carbon and a phosphate sponge