My Lastest Coral (still In Training!)

dinhouse

Here are some black sun polyps I purchased about three weeks ago. They are coming out now and I dont have to squirt food directly at them.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do they come out mostly when lights are out? Never seen these before.

crazy4reefs

i have orange sun polyps that i have had for 6 months now and the only time they open up is at night..i put
phytoplex in my tank water but i also direct feed them once or twice a week with an eye dropper and brine shrimp, its a pain but i worry about them.. does yours open up during the day ?
also i checked your post about the candycane coral.. wow you really did a great job. i hope to get mine today.. thanks for the help.:)

dinhouse

"Beth" They mostly come out at night but I have trained mine to come out when ever they smell food. Most people think that they are afraid of the light. I have found this to be untrue they dont need light but they are not afraid of it either. I have orange ones and black ones and my orange ones come as soon as the food hits the water. The black ones are staring to come out pretty fast as well.
"crazy4reefs" Mine come out everynight but they also come out when ever food hits the water. Try feeeding them around the same time each time you feed them and just squirt a little on them and turn off the powerheads in your tank. They should begine to come out and when they do feed the ones that are out with a syring/turkey baster do this and they will all soon come out when ever you feed
Here is a pic of my orange ones feeding with the lights on:

pyro383

they don't hate the light. I am training mine to be out in the evening from 6-9pm. When I feed the tank they popout. I use a turkey baster and bloodworms every other day. If anyone is interested, my friend sells then for $20 for a nice size piece with about 20 polyps

megadon

What colors does he have? I would love to score some of those. HOw much light do they need, and what kind of water conds?

overanalyzer

Very Sweet Dinhouse - do you squirt into each or cover the coral and squirt into the covering. I believe it was you who was talking about feeding in that method!

dinhouse

Intitially I feed every polyp that came out. But once you get them trained to come out you don't have to feed them each or atleast I don't. I just squirt some food in the tank. They come out in a minute or so, Then I put the food in the water, then, they and my current do the rest. Once a week I turn off the current and squirt a cloud of food around them. I do this to make sure they are getting fed. I probly don't need to do that but It makes me feel better to actually see that they are getting fed. I also add phyto every other day.
As far as them being a pain to have to feed, I directly feed all my corals atleast once a week anyway! The suncoral isn't really a pain it just takes patience to train them to come out. All you have to do is feed them around the same ti8me evErynight for awhile and them they will begin to come out when ever food hits the water. I have also found that the black sun polyps are easier to train then the orange ones. It took me about twice as long to train my orange ones.
Here's a pic of my orange sun polyps eating.