my lavender kingsnake

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Nice looking snake.
Snakes will usually not strike unprovoked. The key is learning what provokes them. Generally 2 things: hunger along with the scent of prey and fear. Don't get in striking distance when either of those two situations exist.

reefkprz

thanks Beth. definatly my prettiest snake, though my albino gopher snake was fairly close in appeal. unfortunatly I lost the gophersnake to fifteen cats and one quick dose of owner incompetance. (one side of the lid wasnt properly latched and he escaped) poor snake.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by scgator
Sep, I know you said you have a son, but not his age. I have an 8 and 4 year old boys who want a snake. I'm kind of leary do to all the "snake ate child" press. I know the kings, corns, etc won't get that big, but are there other probs that come with kids + snakes. What is a good starter snake (ie low cost + easy care)?
He is 12. I got Sepulatian, my former snakes name, when he (my son) was maybe 1. Sepulatian was a Burmese Python. He is much missed. He was about a foot when we got him and grew to over 4-5 feet. I never actually stretched him out and measured him. He was eating rats when he died. I am not into getting a snake that gets so big ths time around. I think the lavender king would be great for us. My son held sep all of the time and I was never worried. He struck at my ex one time and that was because he had started to shed at the time that he was due to be fed. His eyes were coated and he could not see. My husband put his hand ito the cage to fill his water bowl. Snakes like to soak, it loosens the skin easier. Sep saw the movement. He struck but did not hit hard, then sniffed his hand with his tounge. He knew who it was and withdrew. A 12 foot Anaconda would not be able to eat your four year old, no worries. Snakes do not get as large in captivity as they do in the wild. If you want a nice snake that does not get big around then go for a corn or king.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Snakes can grow to full size in captivity if given the proper environment and nutritional needs are fully met. Captive snakes that are well cared for live longer than most of their wild brethren and have ample time to shoot out to full size.
Unfortunately, many snakes are not adequately cared for in captivity and never thrive.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Beth
Snakes can grow to full size in captivity if given the proper environment and nutritional needs are fully met. Captive snakes that are well cared for live longer than most of their wild brethren and have ample time to shoot out to full size.
Unfortunately, many snakes are not adequately cared for in captivity and never thrive.
Beth, are you familiar with kings? If so, you know I will be asking you questions along with reefkprz. I hope that you don't mind. I will not be getting a heat rock this time. This tank is tall. I am wondering if a heat lamp on the top of the tank will allow enough heat to reach the bottom. I don't want to place the lamp inside as we did with Sep. I don't want this one to get burned. Sep never did but the possibility is there. I got the tank from my sister. She had a very large rock/ tree type structure in the tank. I will be taking it for the snake cage. It is very nice. It has larger holes that he will love. It is tall and reaches most of the way up the tank. It is hollow inside. He can hide in it and crawl all up it and through it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, I really don't have exp with king's.
For overhead heat, you want to make sure that the heat source does not actually touch the lid in any way. You may want to consider an under tank heat pad such as the ones made by Zoo Med. They warm things up pretty nicely, without the risk of intense overhead lighting. I never liked leaving the lamps on unattended due to risk of fire hazard.

sepulatian

No, I really don't have exp with king's.
For overhead heat, you want to make sure that the heat source does not actually touch the lid in any way. You may want to consider an under tank heat pad such as the ones made by Zoo Med. They warm things up pretty nicely, without the risk of intense overhead lighting. I never liked leaving the lamps on unattended due to risk of fire hazard.
That is a good idea. I would have to cut a board for the tank to sit on though. It has a solid wood stand. It is not solid across the bottom, as many tank stands are not. I had my eye on this tank for awhile to make into a reef. I knew that my sister planned to get rid of it. It is a nice shape. It will be equaly as great for a snake cage. There is just too many leaks for me to bother fixing.

reefkprz

under tank pads stick to the glass. you will not want to put a solid board across the stand. it will allow ventilation as well as letting your cord run through your stand instead of using the crappy rubber feet that come with the heat pad.
did you check out the king snake care sheet link I sent for the western new york herp society?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by reefkprZ
under tank pads stick to the glass. you will not want to put a solid board across the stand. it will allow ventilation as well as letting your cord run through your stand instead of using the crappy rubber feet that come with the heat pad.

Exactly right. Enough heat comes thru the tank glass and the bottom should be vented or it will overheat.
I prefer a controlled gradient heat myself that operates on a thermostat. You may want to do some research into a thermostat controlled heating source.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
did you check out the king snake care sheet link I sent for the western new york herp society?
Ok, I did not know how they came. I was thinking that it was similar to a heating pad for human use that would be flexible and may fall through the opening or there would be a gap. I have not checked that out yet, but I will.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
They are flexible a bit, but are made with plastic. The edges stick to the underside of the tank and are made to fit. They come in different sizes as well.

sepulatian

They are flexible a bit, but are made with plastic. The edges stick to the underside of the tank and are made to fit. They come in different sizes as well.
Okay, Thanks!

keri

Corns are pretty bomb-proof for kids, and 12 is a good age for kids to understand how to keep them clean, happy, stress-free. As much as I love ball pythons (obviously, lol, we have 6 of them) sometimes they like to do super fun things like...stop eating. and it's hard for kids to understand that they might not always want to be picked up at that time. It all depends on te maturity level if the child :) Good luck in whatever you choose.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
nice snake, can i ask length, and what it's eating? I'm pretty surprised that a kingsnake is shy
its about 18inches eats 2 fuzzys a week. he's been getting more active the older he gets but is still unusually reclusive for a kingsnake. I think he is going to grow out of it. he doesnt mind being handled, but he almost never comes above substrate when there is light in the room. I know they are most active at dawn and dusk but this guy is out far less than my other king and corns.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Keri
. As much as I love ball pythons (obviously, lol, we have 6 of them) sometimes they like to do super fun things like...stop eating.
*S* yeah i dont know how many times a worried pet owner has asked me whats wrong with their snake because it stopped eating (missed one meal)
even adults have a hard time understanding they sometimes just fast for a while. I have heard dozens of reasons but most I discard as whimsey. I think (my opinion on it) its generally linked to temperature fluctuations or high growth periods. what do you think, Beth, on pythons occasional fasting?

keri

^^^ Aside from new, young snakes who do it from the start I don't usually think it's too serious either. My 8-year old male regularily misses a couple of meals every fall (maybe trying to look a little sexier in case he gets a date ;) but doesn't actually lose any weight.

sepulatian

Sepulatian used to do it from time to time as well. We bred the rats. If he was not interested then we took it back out. He would let us know when he was hungry.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Many snakes hibernate a bit in the winter, but food should still be offered regularly, just in case. If the animal has not eaten for more than 3 mos, its time to see an experienced herp vet (not just the average dog/cat vet). Internal parasites from live prey often results in the snake discontinuing feeding. In which case, a course of parasitic medication such as panacur, etc, is necessary. (Only a vet can diagnose this, so don't try to yourself.) Sometimes snakes just get sick of eating the same old thing and you need to switch to something else.
Better not to allow live prey come in contact with the snake, until the strike. I use a narrow round small garbage can that is black. I put prey in the can and allow the snake to approach from the top. This avoids any injury to the snake from live prey attacks and it works very well with the least amt of stress. Once the snake has the prey, pull him up and lay him down so he can finish the kill and eat. Rodents can cause a good deal of harm to a snake if they are left in cage or container with your pet snake. Avoid doing this.

reefkprz

Rodents can cause a good deal of harm to a snake if they are left in cage or container with your pet snake. Avoid doing this.
I'll second that. my cali kingsnake was a rescue that was torn to pieces by a mouse, almost half his upperjaw was chewed away, as well as severe damage all up and down his torso. from the previous owner throwing in a mouse and walking away. I'm still amazed to this day That he lived.
Honestly I prefer to feed all my snakes, frogs, and reptiles frozen rodents to avoid the chances of something going wrong.