My New 120

crox

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
thats a nice antennata crox, healthy colors

Thank you. I have him since January. :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

sleasia

Crox...I was just wondering because I am going to make alot of diy live rock for the new tank...thanks...your tank looks great!!!

crox

Originally Posted by sleasia
Crox...I was just wondering because I am going to make alot of diy live rock for the new tank...thanks...your tank looks great!!!

I have approximately 40lbs of rock if you are interested.

mrdc

Nice to see a fellow reefer with a tall 120 like myself. Not the easiest tank in the world to move things around in but I have made do. Very nice rock work!

crox

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
thats a nice antennata crox, healthy colors

Please meet King Arthur. :hilarious :hilarious

mrdc

Originally Posted by Crox
NICE. I want a blue hippo so bad but I'm afraid he will get sick.

It started out rough so I had to QT her for 6 weeks. Been fine ever since and that was 8 months ago. My only problem is with it's tail. It doesn't look healthy and I cannot figure out why. She eats everything VERY well and is seen by how think she is (definitely not undefed!). It's hard for the others to eat because of how fast she gobbles everything up. I think I also give her a nice variety of food and even bought some new food last night. I guess I will just have to deal with it.

sleasia

mrdc said:
My only problem is with it's tail. It doesn't look healthy and I cannot figure out why.
Mrdc:
When you say it doesn't look healthy are you referring to the tail or the whole fish? I assumed you meant the tail? I have a healthy hippo about 4 inches, and like yours its a pig and eats everything...I noticed a similar problem with the tail and then discovered one day that my blue face angel was tail nipping during feeding to (of course) prevent the hippo from getting the lion's share....do you have any angels or any thing which might be a tail nipper? If you are referring to the fish itself as unhealthy I did read somewhere
that larger hippos tend not to be as bright blue, even though they may be perfectly healthy
I have no idea if this is true...mine is not so big but does always seem to be faded in the ventral area (stomach?)
And also I have noticed that of all my tangs, naso, yellows, and hippo, the hippo is the most sensitive to nitrates and water quality issues.

mrdc

No, just the yellow part of the tail. If anything is nipping at it, it has to be the Domino damsel which I am still working on to remove. I have a yellow tang now, but the tail was looking bad before the tang was added. You can sort of see in the picture above the tail problems but the color looks good. I'm not too worried about my trates since I test regulary and do water changes weekly. I guess the best thing is to remove the damsel and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your response.
Oh and yes mine is sort of faded in the same area as yours.

crox

I guess I'll stay away from the blue hippo. I don't want to take a chance and contaminate all my tank with ick.

sleasia

Oh crox..I didn't realize you were asking me...sure I'll take it because I'm months away from getting anything in my tank and will be cycling my home made rock anyway....but wouldn't you rather set up a qt? If you don't have one you should have one....Its helped me a great deal having this tiny 15 gall qt with an emperor 400 bio wheel filter. I bought the filter used, the tank was free from someone...all I bought was a few shells a heater and stand.
Mrdc...It might be the damsel nipping? don't know, but I haven't seen my yellow tangs (I have three) nipping, probably because the hippo is bigger than all of them....my hippo has learned to get out of the blue face angel's way now...because gosh...I can't take my blue face out!!! She's the boss of the tank.

mrdc

the two culprits....

Wow, your hippo looks great. I see no tail problem with yours.

crox

the two culprits....

I like that blue face. Are they nasty?

sleasia

mrdc..no tail problem now with the hippo...now that he/she has learned to steer clear of the blue face...
crox...Even though I love the blue face, I would have to say she is nasty at meal time. She actually makes a Popping noise when she tries to tail nip others away from the food. When I first heard this noise, I thought something was malfunctioning on one of the pumps...then I realized it was my blue face...getting blue in the face over her "wanting to share" tank mates. The weird thing about her is she is a good 4" and hasn't changed yet...

sleasia

also mrdc...this picture is not really showing the belly fading I spoke of, probably because of the flash or lighting or something.