My new 150 gallon tank JUST A FEW QUESTIONS

I just picked up this 150 metal frame 3/4 glass fish tank today i got it off c/list for 200$. Please ignore the cute kids in the picture lol they are excited for the new tank
. I have it on its side in the picture because i was removing the half assed precautionary caulk job the p/o did. It does not leak but im gonna give it a fresh coat for peace of mind.As you can tell in the picture it very unique in the fact that its very tall instead of long. Also it weight about 500 to 600 lbs. My Buddy was not happy when he seen what i drug him out to help me with lol. Anyway my first question is the center brace being as how there is none but my tank has a metal frame and 3/4 inch or thicker glass so I should be ok right?
Ok second question is I have a wet/dry and protein skimmer left over from a tank i had a while ago but im planing on a fish and live rock only tank so can I skip the protein skimmer and wet/dry and just use a big canister filter and uv? Thanks for your time and hope to hear what you folks have to say..

premilove

boooooo canister filters. use the wet dry and protein skimmer! canister filter will be a trate factory

Also Wanting to know how others filled there big tanks for the first time? Did you go out and buy a r/o unit or did you just use tap water and treat the water? Please advise

Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/2969571
boooooo canister filters. use the wet dry and protein skimmer! canister filter will be a trate factory
Im sorry im still new to this even though ive had many tanks ive just never been successful with coral yet. But anyway what is the purpose/benefit of a good protein skimmer?

crypt keeper

They dispose of waste as oppose to trapping it until you clean it out like the canister type filter. Dont use tap water. It will just cause issues. Get an RO system and fill it up. They make ones that will do 25 gallons a day. It will be full in no time with rock and sand. Id run a 55 gallon sump with a fuge and a skimmer. You will be golden. Check to see if the glass is tempered. If it is you cant drill it. If not drill away. Id add a Overflow to the side of the tank and have it come off the wall like a huge nano.

Cant the nitrate problem be solved with frequent cleanings of the canister filter? Again not being argumentative just trying to be fully informed

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by Younngballa88
http:///forum/post/2969640
Cant the nitrate problem be solved with frequent cleanings of the canister filter? Again not being argumentative just trying to be fully informed

Yes it can...rinse out the pads every few days. It's a pain, but it can be done.

crypt keeper

Why make your hobby a pain in the rear? I bought my ASM-GX1 skimmer for $100 used and upgraded the pump. Its a good skimmer and a lot people use that line. A sump is simple to up. Im in the middle of doing my own. They can be made for cheaper than a fluval type canister filter and the skimmer can be found cheap. You can get away with doing it your way but ou start adding a lot of fish, which you will, dont you want to enjoy them instead of worrying all the time about your water params?

premilove

you can find custom sumps/fuges on the BAY to the E. i had canister filters on my 75 gal and man did i hate cleaning it. u are going to have to clean it once every 2 weeks MAX. my water parameters got so bad (mainly trates) i had to clean once a week. after 2 months i got so sick of it and got a refugium. i have never been happier since! i paid like 200 for a 25 gal fuge with a aqualine skimmer and return pump free shipping. 200 vs what ever you paid for ur canister filters + new media and opportunity cost of you wasting your time cleaning once every 1-2 weeks. plus having a fuge is pretty neat you can honestly see the process of biological filtration. your kids would like looking inside it to see any new forms of life!

deejeff442

congrats on the new tank.
i just set up a 225 gallon and i know that thing was a beast to move around.
i have an r/o unit that is filling up the 120 gallon sump right now .i have been making water for a week now and almost full.
you might be able to get lucky with fish and tap water but not corals they are very sensitive.
if you have the cash just go to your lfs and buy some r/o usually 50 cents a galon.
definitly get an r/o some will make up tp 100 gallons a day with good water pressure.they will also make it easier to keep ahead on water changes.
most people find canisters to be more work than they are worth.
my friend has been running two on his 90 gallon for years and he dont seem to mind it.
i would go with the fuge/skimmer set up alot less work and you can hide the skimmer,pump,and heaters under the tank.
good luck

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/2969946
congrats on the new tank.
i just set up a 225 gallon and i know that thing was a beast to move around.
i have an r/o unit that is filling up the 120 gallon sump right now .i have been making water for a week now and almost full.
you might be able to get lucky with fish and tap water but not corals they are very sensitive.
if you have the cash just go to your lfs and buy some r/o usually 50 cents a galon.
definitly get an r/o some will make up tp 100 gallons a day with good water pressure.they will also make it easier to keep ahead on water changes.
most people find canisters to be more work than they are worth.
my friend has been running two on his 90 gallon for years and he dont seem to mind it.
i would go with the fuge/skimmer set up alot less work and you can hide the skimmer,pump,and heaters under the tank.
good luck

Hmm thanks you all convince me, Fuge skimmer it is

srfisher17

I'm surprised that the Kid Police haven't posted yet. A 150 is too small to keep kids, they need at least a 225 gal to do well. Or, are you just quarantining them in the 150 before they go into your main display tank?

Thanks for all your help so far gang. I have some updates on my build for you. Today i went to home depot and picked up a 6x6x8 and a load bearing jack. I put them in the basement under my tank just to be safe
. And i finished doing the reseal. So now as you can see in the pictures I have moved to the leak test.
. Yes you see it correct I am using a pizza box and another pc of cardboard to watch for water marks lol. But I was told it didn't leak so we shell see. OK now for a few more questions. Since this is a 150 should I use two overflows to my sump? Glass not tempered so no drilling
. Also my last tank was quite an electric hog with the return pump I was running does anybody know of any energy efficient return pumps? How many gph pump should I be looking at as well? Thanks Gang.

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2970137
I'm surprised that the Kid Police haven't posted yet. A 150 is too small to keep kids, they need at least a 225 gal to do well. Or, are you just quarantining them in the 150 before they go into your main display tank?
I dont know lol they fit perfect i was think about keeping the 150 for them. lol jk Its almost big enough to be a swimming pool for them. LOL thanks for the comment btw my wife and i got a bug kick out of it.

srfisher17

With a tank this old, I'd do a more thorough leak test. The adhesives in these tanks aren't nearly as good as the newer silicones, especially after drying out. If possible, I'd put it on a level, concrete surface outside and completely fill it with water for a couple of days. Put newspaper under the tank to help you find any leak. If this were mine; I'd completely reseal it with silicone; a rather easy, cheap form of insurance.

deejeff442

i just bought the reeflo 2300 gph pump it can be turned down with valves it is extremly energy efficient. i think like 45 watts campared to mag drive 140 watts.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by Younngballa88
http:///forum/post/2970156
Since this is a 150 should I use two overflows to my sump? Glass not tempered so no drilling
. .
Id make the back wall a over flow with a 2 inch hole. That should be about 1200 GPH and a return pump of about 1700 to 2000 gph depending on how far it has to flow upwards back to the tank.
Also since your glass is not
tempered you can cut it.

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/2970254
Id make the back wall a over flow with a 2 inch hole. That should be about 1200 GPH and a return pump of about 1700 to 2000 gph depending on how far it has to flow upwards back to the tank.
Also since your glass is not
tempered you can cut it.
I not sure what you mean make the back wall an overflow? Please try to help me understand. Also it was under the impression you can only drill tempered glass? Do i have them mixed up? Thanks