My new 150 gallon tank JUST A FEW QUESTIONS

crypt keeper

These are a guys tank Im in love with. Hopefully he doesnt mind me sharing. he may even post here.
The tank is a lot like yours just way bigger. His tank sticks out of the wall. His overflows are on one side instead of the back. He put the rock in the middle and the fish can use the entire tank instead of just the front and all sides can be seen.

crypt keeper;2970304 said:
These are a guys tank Im in love with. Hopefully he doesnt mind me sharing. he may even post here.
The tank is a lot like yours just way bigger. His tank sticks out of the wall. His overflows are on one side instead of the back. He put the rock in the middle and the fish can use the entire tank instead of just the front and all sides can be seen.
crypt keeper;2970304 said:
WOW Very cool. Im very into the way he has that setup. Ill keep that in mind. I heard that some lfs will drill your tanks for you if you pay them. Im gonna call around and see if i can find someone that will do that for me.

OK my lfs will drill the tank for me. But rather then ask them for advise (huge NO NO) lol. I need some help again. Below is my plan for what i want to do. Im going to order a custom built overflow box that does not go all the way to the bottem like normal overflows but I like this look very much. Basically I need to know what size holes is should have them drill? I need four holes drilled. Two for the overflow. And two for returns. Below in the picture i was planning on doing a 36 or 40 inch overflow but then relized that there would be no room on the sides for my returns so. Im going to do a 24 inch. My question for this is Should I use two holes in the overflow or one big one? You guys have been so helpful so far thanks

crypt keeper

I know a overflow hole at the bottom of a tank gravity fed that is 1 inch in diameter will flow 600 to 800 gph. If you did two at the top that were 1 inch Im not sure how much gravity comes to play vs just overflowing. Use 1 inch holes for your return.

Originally Posted by powderblutang
http:///forum/post/2971141
I thought that you can't use a metal framed tank for saltwater?
Well the metal is stainless and most stainless wont rust. Some will but none of the metal is in contact with the water so I dont see a problem.
Ok I was think about my sump/fuge today and woundering what is the minimum size I can do? Would a 30G be ok since i have one laying around? Or should i not go any smaller then a 55???

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by Younngballa88
http:///forum/post/2971241
Well the metal is stainless and most stainless wont rust. Some will but none of the metal is in contact with the water so I dont see a problem.
Ok I was think about my sump/fuge today and woundering what is the minimum size I can do? Would a 30G be ok since i have one laying around? Or should i not go any smaller then a 55???
30 would be okay but the issue is if you ever get a power out. Your tank doesnt stop flowing right away. It will fill your sump up some. You need enough room. I wouldnt go any smaller than a 55 on your set up. This will allow for a bigger fuge anyway

OK I am ready to start my fug build. I would really like to do a 55 but most are 48" long and my tank is 44". Im gonna use a forty i have lying around and just adjust the overflow height accordingly. I would love to see some pics of refugiums you guys have if any body is running one please post some pics so i can get some ideas. I already have my tank,ref light,bulk head and berlin skimmer. So lets see some pics please....... OH also a quick update ive changed my mind again about drilling the tank. i dont want to risk breaking it i like the tank to much so im gonna do the same setup but with a dual hang on overflow. Also i am going to have to rebuild the stand tommorow as my skimmer just fits but i would not be able to clean it ever so thats no good.

srfisher17

I'm so old I can remember when almost all tanks were metal framed. The SS type, like yours, was considered SW safe. There were some iron framed tanks that weren't; just the salt environment weakened the frame.

crypt keeper

Im actually in the process of a DIY sump and fuge. I will get some pictures tomorrow morning. I just built/glued the barriers and they are curring. Its great. Its a 29 tall and looks huge. Makes my skimmer which is rated for a 150 look tiny and its not. Check out my 75 gallon build in the aggressive section. May give you a few ideas.

deejeff442

here is the one i run now on my 150,i have a new one for my 225 i can get a pic of later today it is at my new house we are in the middle of moving.
fuge on left,then skimmer,heater and phosphate reactor compartment then the pump return on right

deejeff442

i think it is an eighteen gallon.
i used the 1 inch bulkheads off some old overflows i had laying around.
the sump is my old wet/dry i gutted out.
my new fuge/sump is a 120 gallon 6 foot long next to my 225 6 foot long.
i need to get some pics of that set up.

crypt keeper

that's a hell of a sump set up. Im doing a 29 now for my 75. Im going to start a 240 build in the next few months. I decided on that tank for my final tank. I will have the 75 still but I want a few open water fish. I plan on it being long and wide not very tall.