my new 24gal jbj nano

nwdyr

Yes I did, I uploaded the pic's then copy and paste. It's kinda the long way around but it work's!

nwdyr

So can anybody tell me about that skimmer in the upper left side of the tank? like what does it do and how it works?

blazin2k6

Well i cant tell ya about your skimmer because i have an Aquapod , so not familiar with Nano Cubes. But nice Rockwork you got there. Nice looking clowns as well. Look forward to seeing it full of Coral. Remember to take it slow though and not just put all kinds of stuff in there at once. Welcome to the boards.

nwdyr

Thank you blazin,
I actually took that plastic "skimmer" off because I really don't think it's doing anything and everytime my turbo's get on it , it falls off. I added a Koralia nano [power head today, but I am not impressed with the power of it. On the box it says 260 gph but it seems very weak. Yes I am being VERY patient! it's killing me I want to add coral sooo bad but I know I have to wait
I will add more pictures soon,and again thank you for the comments and advice!!

nwdyr

Anyone know about a up-grade for the pump on a 24gal jbj nano? my book tells me the pump is rated at 266gph,I saw a "up-grade" on e-bay , but it said it was a 270gph pump. So I am a little confused.

nycbob

i hv the same 24 jbj nano. the skimmer is good bc it takes the film of the top of ur water. just make sure to top off every few days. if u r plannign to add corals, i'd say add a powerhead since the flow from the return isnt too strong.

peef

The surface skimmer you took off is actually one of the best things on this tank. What it does is it "skims" the surface of the water removing film that limits the oxygen exchange. Also when the water pours over the edge it hypersaturates your water with O2. They are a huge benifeit and work well. If it is falling off very easily your water level might be too low. The suction that it creates is more than enough to hold it securly even when a turbo is on it.

jacksdad

I upgraded to a maxijet 1200 when I had my 24 NC up and running. I worked very well, just be sure to clean it on a regular basis. Also I agree with peef, without the surface skimmer a thin film-o-gunk will collect on the surface of the water. You do need to be careful, however as all of the evaporation occurs in the rear chambers and you can run your pump dry if you are not careful. If you are not using an ATO you will just have to top off a couple of time a week. Good luck...looks like you are off to a good start. How old is the tank?
Bob

nwdyr

I did notice that "film" however it was still there when I had the skimmer on. But i will take all of your advice and put it back on

nwdyr

Originally Posted by jacksdad
I upgraded to a maxijet 1200 when I had my 24 NC up and running. I worked very well, just be sure to clean it on a regular basis. Also I agree with peef, without the surface skimmer a thin film-o-gunk will collect on the surface of the water. You do need to be careful, however as all of the evaporation occurs in the rear chambers and you can run your pump dry if you are not careful. If you are not using an ATO you will just have to top off a couple of time a week. Good luck...looks like you are off to a good start. How old is the tank?
Bob
What is a ATO?

nwdyr

Originally Posted by nycbob
i hv the same 24 jbj nano. the skimmer is good bc it takes the film of the top of ur water. just make sure to top off every few days. if u r plannign to add corals, i'd say add a powerhead since the flow from the return isnt too strong.
What do you mean top it off?

nycbob

topoff meaning to add more water due to evaporation. once the water colums falls below a certain point, the surface skimmer wont work.

nwdyr

ok guy's and girl's, What are thie tiny tiny white things stuck on my glass, they are moving!
look like micro something or other. Got any Ideas?

new2salt1

Why do you have to wait to add coral? Actually, rather than waiting for a response...
...Coral add very little to your bioload. Fish add a lot. You say you have to wait to add coral...when in reality, fish are at the highest risk if your tank is not cycled.
If your tank IS cycled, add coral tomorrow. If your tank is NOT cycled, you are at risk of stressing / killing those cool clowns.
Patience. Without it, the animals are going to suffer, and so is your wallet.

Originally Posted by nwdyr
What is a ATO?
Automatic Top Off. You can search the DIY section to learn how to build one so you tank will be topped off automaticly.

ok, schould I top off with just r/o water or schold it be a salt mix? thank's!
Yes, R/O water ONLY. When the water evaporates the salt does not evaporate with it but rather it stays in the tank. So the more water that evaporates the higher the salt content of the tank will be. That is why it is VERY important to maintain the water levels on a SW tank. If you top off with SW you are just adding that much more salt to the tank.

ok guy's and girl's, What are thie tiny tiny white things stuck on my glass, they are moving!
look like micro something or other. Got any Ideas?
Pods possibly?