My new 55 gallon reef tank

lonelytree

I am excited about this. I have never done salt water before but have always liked it. My friend and I sat it up yesterday, 01-18-09. The pictures really don't do it justice. The live rock is "centered" but some of it actually leans forward. It also is kinda S shaped from looking down onto it. The column on the left actually appears to be free-standing. It has only been about 16 hours and the tank is already clear. I will keep you udated on how it is going. Wish me luck. P.S. Thanks trouble93

trouble93

Welcome to our habit...LOL Have fun and most of all be patient. Research is the key. Your off to a good start.

reefman22

Very nice. So tell us about it. What kind of filtration will you have? and lights for the corals? are you going to keep it bare bottom or put a substrate? It seems I'm about as excited for the new tank as you haha (probly because I have a 55 reef of my own)
reefman

lonelytree

right now as it is cycling I have an EHEIM ecco canister. I used a diatamagic to clear the water. I have 3 aquaclear power heads. One each, a 30, a 50 and 70. I also have an aquarium systems protein skimmer. The substrate is live sand. As far as the lights go,,,I am unsure, I know they are flourescent like in nature. I am getting them from A friend. He is helping me alot. I am keeping the tank unlit while it cycles to prevent algae. Does any one have any suggestions to help me along my path to becoming a marine aquariast. I will show more pictures here shortly.

lonelytree

Here are some new pics of the tank. Hope they look as good as they tank does. Once again thanks to all who reply and offer advice.

premilove

what are you using for filtration? if you are using canister filters make sure you either 1- change media once every week and a half to two weeks or 2- LR inside canister, or my fav - 3 throw it out!

lonelytree

I have a canister right now. I think the best way to avoid problems would be to do maintenance on the filter systems often. I agree with #3.

lonelytree

No not yet. My wife wants star fish. I am not yet attached to any one species. I like color and movement. I love the anenomes that sway in the current.

reefman22

if you want to do a reef, be sure to look around on here for lighting requirements because it is a very important aspect to consider when setting up a reef tank. I also agree with #3. Set up a nice wet/dry if you can. it will pay off in the long run.
reefman

lonelytree

I am not sure sure what you mean by wet/dry yet. My friend who is assisting me would know. I am going to go with a 20 gallon long tank for a sump. I will look up wet/dry for my own knowledge. Thank you

lonelytree

Well it's getting late and I am going to lay down. I thank everyone for the advice they have given me. I am still looking for more. I will answer all post tomorrow. Thanks again, lonelytree

trouble93

2x 54watt 18k t5's, 1x 28watt 460blue actinic, 4x 65watt t5's, 2x 50/50, 2x 10000k equals 396watts of light. After cycling, will be running 20gal sump/fuge with and intank overflow
Originally Posted by Reefman22
http:///forum/post/2919084
if you want to do a reef, be sure to look around on here for lighting requirements because it is a very important aspect to consider when setting up a reef tank. I also agree with #3. Set up a nice wet/dry if you can. it will pay off in the long run.
reefman

reefman22

wow so the tank is going to have:
(2)54 watt t5s
(1)28 watt t5
(4)65 watt t5s?
thats alot of bulbs on top of a 55. arent 55gs only like 14" across? that wattage will be plenty for most corals but when it comes time to change bulbs, it will be a hefty chunk of change. JMO
the 20L sump will be great for a 55. especially if its part refugium
just one question though, you will be running that "after cycling"? if the tank is already cycled and you add more equipment, you might see more spikes in levels from the new addition of more equipment. and that might set off another mini-cycle. why not just set up the sump now?
reefman

1990jpyj

everything looks pretty cool so far. love the aquascape. how hard was it to drill the holes into the rock? ive always tought about it but never did it.
i have one thing that i say needs to change, this is my opinion but if your going reef then you should change the background to one solid color. its kinda weird looking now wiht just the LR in there.
good luck keep us posted

robertmathern

Originally Posted by lonelytree
http:///forum/post/2919096
I am not sure sure what you mean by wet/dry yet. My friend who is assisting me would know. I am going to go with a 20 gallon long tank for a sump. I will look up wet/dry for my own knowledge. Thank you
A wet dry is good but a sump is better if you are making it out of a 20 gal fish tank look into adding a refuge to the sump for nitrate reduction. You corals will love you for it. Also key word of advise is make sure the T5's are indevegually (got to learn to spell) reflected. If they are the most you will fit over the tank is 8 on the nove extreme pro. Honestly I think 6 is all you can fit not sure look into it. But even with 6X54 you can grow almost anything in the tank. Some of the sps will have to be higher in the tank.

lonelytree

Thanks trouble93 for answering the questions about the lights and sump/refuge. As far as replacing the bulbs go, yes it will be a chunk of change.($) But it will be worth it. As far as the question about drilling the rock. It wasn't hard although I did break two pieces. To much pressure. The key seemed to be,, have a sharp bit and let the weight of the drill do the work. I tried to pushe the bit in. But the pieces worked out after all. I have noticed from all post, research and advice that there are two things not to skimp on. Lights and filtration. I am going to do part refigium and part sump with the 20g long. Also an overflow. Patience is my virtue. I am not in any hurry to get everything done overnight. I want to thank everyone again who has offered advice, commented and/or welcomed me to the hobby. I will keep everyone updated as to how it is going.