My new 90 Gallon Tank with pictures and updates and questions!

snipe

Well if the tank isnt done cycling then just wait. Once the amonia and such falls to 0 then do a water change. That will fix the water and stuff. The diatoms will get worse before they get better. And on the fan I would get a icecap fan you can get 2 of them on that auction site for around $20 there temp sensor. When it gets to hot they will auto kick on there pretty cool.

ren99

ok its almost 1 week now since I have put inthe live rock.
and amonia is still at 0.02, if barely anything.
is this normal?
and my tank has started to grow some green stuff on the glass. what is this stuff?

snipe

It will go away just dont worrie. Also it isnt your test kit is it? Try taking it to an LFS and have them test it.
On the stuff on the glass it will get cleaned off when you clean the glass.

snipe

If its on the rocks or equip I dont worrie about it the cleanup crew will get it. I only clean my glass.

ren99

what about these green algae? they will go away too? You can see the green algae is even on the liverock

ren99

OK was going to post a picture, but seems like the board is down again !!!:mad:
I will check back tomorrow.

sw65galma

Originally posted by ren99
Okay, I have got a temperature problem. Whenever I turn on my MH lights, it makes my water about 78.8 degrees. Whenever I turn off my lights, the tank can go back to 76 degrees with my heater.
Is this okay?? Can I trust my digital thermometer?

Run you tank between 80-82 and you'll be ok.

meadbhb

Hiya,
Yeah, most of the stuff you'll want to put in the tank will come from tropical regions. Water temps of 80-82 are the norm.
Meadbhb

snipe

78.8 isnt bad I heard anywere from 75 to 85 degreese is the norm on most reefs. Most ppl try for around 80 since it is in the middle.

ren99

OK back to my amonia problem.
Its been abotu a week now and I see almost no amonia. Is this normal?
I tested my test kit against reference sample they provided and my test kit is good.

ren99

OK :mad: :mad: I did another amonia test today and my amonia is almost 0 !!

My PH is up to 8.4 !

I have one power head pointing upwards to create a little surface water movement. if that matters.
Any advise?

bailey52

Ren.. i read your post.. and I imagine, you know what a cycle is. I dont want to sound condisending... so if i do im sorry. Anyway when the tank cycles LR materials die off.. (Normal) cause Amonia to rise.. (normal) then amonia will goto 0 and nitrite will rise.. then nitrate will take over for nitrite... when all test 0 your tank is cycled and ready

ren99

problem is that I have not seen an amonia spike. (well if you could call a 0.01 amonia a spike)
Also, it has only been 1 week since I have put in the Live Rock and 3 cocktail shrimp. I would love to hear that my cycle is done in the 1 week period, but I really don't think it happens that fast according to what I read.
:confused:

brianbell1

Hello ren,
tank is looking good
How did you end up resolving your megaflow noise?
Did you end up building or buying the Durso?
Bell

brianbell1

Also Ren,
I saw you mentioned your lights were heating the water a couple degrees. Are those the coralife aqualight pro's 2X150's, I just got those and was told they would not raise the temp on a 90 guess my sources were wrong--imagine that (LFS)

ren99

I have been quite busy lately and have not had the time to resolve my over flow noise yet.
Only thing I have in my sump is my skimmer. Because I am cycling and other important things in life, I will leave the skimmer off for now until at least im further into the cycle. Which allows me to run my tank without the overflow for now.
Yes it is coral life 2x 150. Do you already have these lights setup? If so, just put your hand under that for a few min. It almost starts to somewhat burn your hand mildly. I dont see how that can not heat up the water.
:confused:
Moreover, the instruction manual said not to use these lights in a open hood environment. So I put a glass top on the tank. Which creates a microwave effect, (kinda like parking a car in the sun in summer) which heats up the tank more I can imagine.

brianbell1

I intended to leave the top on. I can only imagine how hot it will be. I was hoping to keep the tank at 75, I guess that will be impossible. I can't believe they only have one fan.
I thought for certain they had two until I opened the box.
Like one guy said even most PC's have two fans
I went with 2X150 rather than 2X250 due to heat issues.