My New "Again" 55 Gallon

zoecat118

Six years ago I had a 55 gal FOWLR tank. Had kids so I took down. Within the last month I put it back up.

Its has about 65 lbs of live rock, an old skimmer ( I intend to replace it later), canister filter with a UV sterilizer, 1 old powerhead which i plan on replacing with two bigger and better ones. I need to buy new lighting to accommodate the corals. Ive have looking at this one but wanted some opinions about it.

PLEASE do not post links to competitor sites.....you may post a product name or picture though

travelerjp98

Welcome to the site!
I think most of the equipment you have is good for the tank... the light you provide the link to is definitely suitable for corals imo...
I have a question, though... you say that you want to set it up as a FOWLR... but then you say "I need to buy new lighting to accomodate the corals".... so you mean you wanna set it up as a reef, not a FOWLR, correct?
I'm sure you know about cycling tanks... right?

morgan175

im not the smartest person here but you never said anything about an ro unit. it is a big part of good quality water for your corals

zoecat118

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388085/my-new-again-55-gallon#post_3420236
Welcome to the site!
I think most of the equipment you have is good for the tank... the light you provide the link to is definitely suitable for corals imo...
I have a question, though... you say that you want to set it up as a FOWLR... but then you say "I need to buy new lighting to accomodate the corals".... so you mean you wanna set it up as a reef, not a FOWLR, correct?
I'm sure you know about cycling tanks... right?
I had a FOWLER six years ago but I had to tear everything down. I've had freshwater since then and just recently got back into Saltwater.

zoecat118

Space is a big issue, because i don't have any. I'm thinking come tax return time, trying to put a sump under the tank in the cabinet. I dont plan on getting any corals for several months.

zoecat118

So the tank is cycled and I bought a pair of Common Clownfish.

The larger Clownfish doesnt have the black edges on his or her fins. When i got them they were the only two in the tank, I am assuming they are a "pair" . Its been four days and they are always together and seem to eat well.

This is the best pic I have of the larger one.

zoecat118

So my 2 yr old decided my fish were hungry while I was at work, and dumped all the food in the tank. By time I got home it was nasty. Killed my clowns and my shrimp but most of my crabs and snails made it. I guess it was a good thing that I didnt buy a Blue Hippo Tang the day before when I was at the pet store buying salt.

snakeblitz33

dang! So sorry to hear that!
That's why I'm making a custom stand for my aquarium and getting cabinet locks for ALL of it. I don't want my daughter killing my fish/corals accidentally.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoecat118 http:///t/388085/my-new-again-55-gallon#post_3439072
So my 2 yr old decided my fish were hungry while I was at work, and dumped all the food in the tank. By time I got home it was nasty. Killed my clowns and my shrimp but most of my crabs and snails made it. I guess it was a good thing that I didnt buy a Blue Hippo Tang the day before when I was at the pet store buying salt.
Oh my gosh!!! Sorry to hear that!

zoecat118

I bought a Blue Linkia Starfish on Monday, along with a emerald crab, a peppermint shrimp and a skunk cleaner, also a yellow watchman goby. The starfish has these white spots on him and I dont know why. Is he dying? I tested my water and its fine. I acclimated him for 3 hours with the drip method when i bought him. The spots look finda fleshy, but I havent seen anything pick at it. Help!