My new Albino Burm

beth

Administrator
Staff member
reef, solve the bad shed syndrome by simply soaking the snake leading up to the shed. This really solves the problem completely.
AW, that big boy needs streach his...eh, hmm, his tail.

reefkprz

He escaped from a damaged screen cover (darn cats tore a hole in it) and the cats were playing with him the bad shed is because of the scabbing. I've been giving him peroxide baths, I was afraid I was going to lose him for a while.. unfortunatly this isnt the first snake I have had to bathe regularly my cali king was tore up from mice when I rescued him almost half his front jaws were chewed off. he went through some rough sheds untill the scabbing went away. his face almost looks normal now. I hate people that just throw in mice and walk away from the tank. I'm really big on feeding frozen. I have never met a snake that wouldnt switch over to it. usually with the reluctant ones I start with smaller food than they are used to and cut open the head exposing the brain. works every time.
thanks for the advice though.

30-xtra high

if you are comfortable with your snake yet, i keep rat snakes, and to --- them, you can just pick them up, then at the beginning of their tale just bed them in half (sounds mean but does not hurt the snake), and bend the tail so it is flat against their back, and if a two pronged

[hr]
(i don't know if i can say that or not) sticks out.. you gotta boy, and if nothing pokes out you gotta girl.
and a mouse a week is a terrible diet.. my lfs gets in albino burms from 2-5 feet and they eat at least 5 mice a week
and i don't mean to sound so negative.. but i'm on the same page with snakes as i am with fish.. don't buy it if you can't keep it as an adult.
hope you have fun with him/her, snakes are pretty awesome creatures, and are loads of fun.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Beth
Peroxide bathes?? Where did that come from? from my vet who specializes in herps How about a herp vet?

it just a bath of warm water with a capfull of peroxide then I put antibiotic ointment on the wounds. Drs. orders.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Beth
Well, all I can say, take care not to let the snake submerge its head.
It doesnt, what will it do to it? did I get bad advice from the vet?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Peroxide can cause blindness. Depending on how much it is diluted. At this point, you may just want disinfect each wound area using a cotton swap.
I usually don't contradict vets, since I am certainly no professional, but I have found that many vets who treat herps, actually do so via trail and error. Unless you know that your vet is qualified in treating herps, and is well known as such, just use common sense rather than blind faith precautions.
Target treatment of wound areas seems like a viable option to me.

reefkprz

ok thanks.
have you ever dealt with mites? any expiriences or suggestions would be appreciated because the mite treatment just isnt working very well.

petjunkie

What are you using to treat the mites now? I've never dealt with them but hear good things about PAM (prevent-a-mite).

reefkprz

zoomeds mit off or mite away (I'm not at home so I cant look at the package, but its zoomeds medication)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
My snakes were covered with mites and some ticks even when I first got them. I did daily baths using a very mild citrus human hair shampoo [recommended by a well-known veterinary herpetologist], followed by a very light greasing of the snake with garlic oil. This is a little funny because with the oil on them, they struggle to slither. But go real light with this, avoiding the mouth and eye areas. Disinfect the enclosure daily using water and a small amt of bleach and then wipe off or hose down the enclosure with water to get the bleach out. You must make sure that there is not bleach residue. Don't use substrates, since this will harbor mites. Use some dedicated towels for "substrate" until the mite situation is eliminated. Be sure to disinfect the nooks and crannies of the enclosure. This is a process, but if you are diligent, the enclosure and the snakes should be cleared of mites after a couple of weeks as long as they do not come into contact with other snakes that have mites. Once I cleared my snakes of the problem they have not had either mites or ticks since....going on nearly 10 yrs.
They do get the occasional internal parasite, however, and require treatment from a herp vet for this. These parasites come from live prey.

aw2x3

I don't mind, at all.
I'm going, today, to get the first rat, for my guy. I'll post feeding pics, when I get the chance.

reefkprz

I usually feed my snakes in a seperate container (rubbermaid) so they dont ingest substrate, and so they dont learn to hunt in their tanks, I think this lessens the chances of getting struck when reaching into the tank, (no gaurantees though) and lessens the chances of colon impaction.
looks like he/she was hungry.

aw2x3

I always fed my other snake in a separate enclosure, but a good friend of mine (who's a herpatologist) said it doesn't matter. He's kept everything from small snakes to 18' Retics to venomous. I do agree with you, about the substrate ingestion tho. He's been on sand for roughly a year and hasn't had any problems yet, but I don't want it to start now.
I haven't had the chance, or the money, to get him switched over to different substrate. In the next day or two (after he calms down from feeding), I'm gonna take the sand out and at least put down newspaper.

sharkboy13

ahhh...reminds me of my burm, and id switch to something other than sand, a bit of a pain when ur trying to clean

reefkprz

I cant wait to see it in the big tank. a 200g will be nice for it. a couple good feedings and a couple good sheds and its going to be even better looking than it is now.