my new frag grow out tank.

sigmachris

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
...who wants to take bets on how long it takes to cycle?
I can name that tune in 10 days.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by renogaw
btw, i'm thinking that first shelf should have been higher up so you can use the whole sand bed instead of just the front. things will fall into the back as well and you're going to have issues getting them.

the lower shelf is forward 3" from the back wall so I can easily reach behind it. hard to see in the pictures. plus thats where all my equipment is going to be so its going to be a nuicance getting stuff out of the back anyway (2 powerheads and a heater) the PHs are already in there and the heater is warming Ro water, once the water clears I'll get a better shot of that shelf.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by spanko
Gotcha. what are you gonna use to cycle it, food, coctail weeny?

I say a week....
I'm going to ghost feed. (fish food) after I seed the tank.

reefkprz

hey, i just broke down my 10 gal fuge, how would that do as a frag tank? does it have to be anything special?
Some how I missed this post earlier.
a ten g makes a good frag grow out and being pretty shallow they are easy to light. the tank doesnt have to be anything special. Honestly a shallow grow out would work better than the one I have but for the price and the looks I couldnt say no. do a little carpentry work and presto free tank. I like the style of this one even though a shallower tank would be better for a grow out this one doesnt take up much room and in my house space is at a premium.

reefkprz

ok so my gf called me and asked what I was doing I told her I was setting up the tank...........
she has picked out two black clownfish to go in it..........
they are at the store waiting for me. I may have to speed my cycle along by switching out half the new sand for established stuff. I hate being rushed!
Oh well it gives me an excuse to go buy more LR.......

renogaw

got a fuge in your other tanks they can go in while the tank cycles? you add live rock and your cycle is going to extend.

renogaw

Some how I missed this post earlier.
a ten g makes a good frag grow out and being pretty shallow they are easy to light. the tank doesnt have to be anything special. Honestly a shallow grow out would work better than the one I have but for the price and the looks I couldnt say no. do a little carpentry work and presto free tank. I like the style of this one even though a shallower tank would be better for a grow out this one doesnt take up much room and in my house space is at a premium.
what type of light? just one of those flourescent lights that claim they duplicate reef lighting? or a nice powerful spiral power compact like i have on my fuge?

reefkprz

what type of light? just one of those flourescent lights that claim they duplicate reef lighting? or a nice powerful spiral power compact like i have on my fuge?
I would get PCs at least for the grow out tank. I like the small coralife units. you basicly need the same lighting as a regular reef. if the spiral PC is 65k it would work great for growing it just wouldnt be as esthecially pleaseing to the eye as 10k with actinic.

renogaw

spral pc is like 57k or 51k, uses 15w, but supposedly puts out about 75 or 115w, i can't remember. btw, pic posted on the sand.

reefkprz

I saw the sand, sumps really coming along. I'm pretty sure 57k would work but I myself would go with the same lighting (or as close as possible) to my DT that way anytrhing I frag doesnt light shock. (I'm not sure if they would light shock from changing spectrum or not.) but I know a serious decrease in intensity after fragging can cause a coral to receed.

michaud65

Cool, I am exited for you! What a good idea. Maybe you will have it all up and running and filled with lots of corals the next time I come up to visit! This trading thing is getting easier and easier reekkprZ! Please keep us posted.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Michaud65
Cool, I am exited for you! What a good idea. Maybe you will have it all up and running and filled with lots of corals the next time I come up to visit! This trading thing is getting easier and easier reekkprZ! Please keep us posted.
thanks next time you come up All the frags will be in the little tank so I wont have to point out what is and isnt up for trade, everything in the little tank will be tradeable (if its recovered from fragging), I'm excited because emily wants the black clowns at the pet store, they are holding them for us. I have wanted black clowns ever since I first saw them, now I get to have them and she gets what she wants too.

sigmachris

...I have wanted black clowns ever since I first saw them, now I get to have them and she gets what she wants too.

As Col. Hannibal says from The A-Team "I love it when a plan comes together."
Keep us posted Keeperz, good luck.

grubsnaek

just asking what is really recommended for a frag tank.
i was told bare bottom, DSB and live rock,hang on back fuge, its confusing cause i keep seeing different things.
the clowns are cool but aint a frag tank just for frags though, not being mean just wondering for my self. i am setting up a 20L for frags and just wondering what is good.
not hijacking this thread just trying to learn with out starting a thread for simple answers.

renogaw

frag tanks are mainly for frags, but a lot of people have fish in them as well. its basically another fish tank but just not as asthetically pleasing with the shelving.

reefkprz

frag tanks are mainly for frags, but a lot of people have fish in them as well. its basically another fish tank but just not as asthetically pleasing with the shelving.
yeah that pretty much sums it up. once the clowns out grow the 12 (wich they will) I will eithewr have to get rid of my tomatoe clows and put them in the 75g or get rid of them or set up yet another tank. I kind of like the last option myself. There is almost no wrong way to set up your own grow out tank. If you want to make a regular fish tank out of it go for it. if your going strictly for frag growing its easier to maintain strict water qualities with NO fish. The fish are the compromise I make for my GF to allow me to have the tank.

grubsnaek

i hear the compromise thing, so a frag tank with bare bottom and no fish, compared to a DSB and no fish is the same thing im guessing.
see i like the the sand and live rock look with just frags, but i am getting many people saying bare bottom then i stumble upon this thread, what my you go with the sand. is a bare bottom that much easier to clean.

reefkprz

Bare bottom is easier to keep immaculate. I dont really care about the challenges of maintaining sand in a frag tank. since I am stuck with fish in it I want the sand bed for looks. if I get enough frags in it I wont have to worry about the look of the racks.
over all, it comes down to how comfortable you are with handling the aquarium, if your unsure go with whatever seems the easiest to maintain and allows you to do what you need. as you gain a ceartain level of comfort you tend to stray off the beaten path a little more (within reason) because you are more prepared for problems that can occur. and they do . no matter how long youve been in this hobby things go wrong.