My new octopus

team2jndd

I dont mean to steal your thread by any means but has anyone ordered one of the octo's from swf.com? How big are they and what size tank would they need?

mbrands

Originally Posted by 37g Joe
is the damsel in thir the only fish you have in thier. Arnt yoyu worried the oct well eat it they are pretty voracious
Yes, the damsel is the only fish. I think it is likely he will be a meal eventually, but I've read that others had success housing them together. The damsel is pretty quick and works well as a clean-up crew for the messy eating octo.
Originally Posted by team2jndd

I dont mean to steal your thread by any means but has anyone ordered one of the octo's from swf.com? How big are they and what size tank would they need?
Mine wasn't from swf.com. I checked back repeatedly while doing my research but they were never available. The bimac will get to about 20-24" from tip to tip if his legs are spread out. As for the tank size, you will get different answers. Most say that one can be kept in a 29. Some say smaller, some say larger.

mimzy

wow. just utterly wow.
you MUST keep us updated on his progress - and post lots of pix!!!! :joy:

mbrands

Originally Posted by benguck
cool octo. what were the colored rings in the tank?
Everything I read covered how intelligent octos are and how they need things to keep them entertained. I used 2 sizes of black pvc pipe (capped on the back) to offer hiding places. On the larger pvc I drilled a hole and attached the colored rings, which are just a baby toy from Target. I have some ping pong balls to add once he starts coming out and I want to put some small Lego pieces inside too.
Originally Posted by Mimzy

wow. just utterly wow.
you MUST keep us updated on his progress - and post lots of pix!!!! :joy:
Thank you! I plan to take as many photos as he will let me.

birdy

if you can get a plastic jar with a plastic screw on lid, drill some holes in the top for water to flow through, then put food in the jar and screw the lid on. It is a really good enrichment exercise for them, shouldn't take him too long to figure out how to unscrew the lid.
I would love to have an octo, been thinking about it for a while.

i<3fish

If that is a Bimac, you will most definatly need a 55g minimum. Check out www.tonmo.com for tons more info. I am currently setting up my 55g for an Octo. Just wating for it to cycle and mature. I got all my info from tonmo.com. It will help tons.

mbrands

Originally Posted by Birdy
if you can get a plastic jar with a plastic screw on lid, drill some holes in the top for water to flow through, then put food in the jar and screw the lid on. It is a really good enrichment exercise for them
I'd already planned on doing the same thing with a cleaned out plastic cream cheese dish & lid. I'll have to look for a plastic screw-top jar now.

I<3fish - Thanks for the tonmo suggestion. I've looked through quite a bit of their site already, but it is definitely good reading material!

jr2857

Originally Posted by mbrands
Everything I read covered how intelligent octos are and how they need things to keep them entertained. I used 2 sizes of black pvc pipe (capped on the back) to offer hiding places. On the larger pvc I drilled a hole and attached the colored rings, which are just a baby toy from Target. I have some ping pong balls to add once he starts coming out and I want to put some small Lego pieces inside too.
Thank you! I plan to take as many photos as he will let me.

make sure he doesn't eat any of his toys :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious

mbrands

Originally Posted by brrlong
Email me and let me know where you got it from please brrlong@indiana.edu thanks!!
brrlong - Sorry, but I am forbidden to tell reply since you attend IU. GO BOILERS!!!

He isn't named yet. The top nominees are Bill, Jim or Pat. That doesn't mean its down to only those three. A surprise name could pop up.
He comes out a lot more during the day when the only light is coming from the windows and his tank lights are off (as expected). My birthday is next week and I'm hoping for a new light hood that has lunars in it.
He hasn't played with his toys yet, but he has made a meal out of about half the clean-up crew (snails and hermits). I figured they'd all be snacks eventually, just not so quickly. The good news is that he did take a piece of krill from a feeding stick I made earlier today!!

monalisa

Originally Posted by mbrands
I guess I should have mentioned this from the beginning, but all our other pets have regular people names. Our dogs are Jake & Chase. Our cats are Pete, Steve, Madeline. And so on.
I'm leaning toward Otto right now. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!
How 'bout Owen? He kinda looks like an Owen to me.
Lisa :happyfish

space_geek

Monalisa, I think he looks like an Owen too now that you mention that name. Or a Bill, or a Walter, or a Bob, or a George.