My new pet!

aw2x3

Good score! My old lady is a huge fan...she just bought her 14th one, a few days ago.
She has a mated pair of Rose Hairs and eveything from a Cobalt Blue to 3 Chacos.
Here's a pic of her female Rose Hair, that I took some time ago...(notice the fang, piercing the cricket and the juices coming out)... :scared:

torno

OMG. I think I just

[hr]
my pants. Spiders and bats are my two BIGGEST fears in THE world. I'd rather be around a snake as long a telephone pole than a spider the size of a quarter. No lie.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by AW2x3
Good score! My old lady is a huge fan...she just bought her 14th one, a few days ago.
She has a mated pair of Rose Hairs and eveything from a Cobalt Blue to 3 Chacos.
Here's a pic of her female Rose Hair, that I took some time ago...(notice the fang, piercing the cricket and the juices coming out)... :scared:

great picture! got a picture of the colbalt blue?
now I know who to ask if I have any questions regarding tarantulas.

aw2x3

I don't have pics of the Cobalt...she just got it a few months ago. She always gets her new ones as babies...she just got in a G. Pulchra that's not even an inch. She got another Chaco, as a freebee with her last order, that's 1/4"...she's always preferred to raise them from spiderlings.
She used to post here quite a bit, but she's just more into arachnids than she is fish. I'll get her over here, so she can post some of her pics and answer any questions. Just a warning tho...she tends to talk in scientific names, as opposed to common names. lol! She'll be telling me about her new spiders, or something that went on with one of others and I'll have to ask her numerous times "What's that mean? Which one is that?...alright, already...in English, please!" lol!
Here are some pics of another one of her "babies"...this is the same spider, just a few months apart.

zephyrlily

AW2x3,
Ask you wife how you determine one is hand tame. Years ago I was at a petshop that was selling pink toes and I asked the clerk if I could see them and he opened the lid but didn't reach in and they just stood still and I asked if I could hold one and he said 'I don't know... I wouldn't'. Left me wondering how do you know... do you approach with a slow hand and play some Barry White in the background?

aw2x3

Originally Posted by zephyrlily
AW2x3,
Ask you wife how you determine one is hand tame. Years ago I was at a petshop that was selling pink toes and I asked the clerk if I could see them and he opened the lid but didn't reach in and they just stood still and I asked if I could hold one and he said 'I don't know... I wouldn't'. Left me wondering how do you know... do you approach with a slow hand and play some Barry White in the background?
9 times, out of 10, they're perfectly tame...yet everyone is still afraid of them. If you go slow and steady...don't irritate them and force them to let you pick them up...you should be just fine.
There are some species you just done mess with, however...Usumbara and Cobalt Blue, just to name a few. They're just nasty, by nature and will bite, no matter the circumstance. 99% of all species, you can pick up, hold, etc. and they wouldnt harm you. There are some, if they're nervous, that will kick their abdominal hairs at you (just a defense mechanism) and it'll cause itching and irritation because their hairs will stick in you.
If you're afraid of them, they'll be afraid of you. Pink Toes, from what I understand, are very docile and as long as you don't pressure them to let you pick them up, they should be just fine.

amandal

I'm told my presence is requested.

I actually got #s 15,16, & 17 in the mail the other day. He's right that I only have 14 right now though.
Your girl is gorgeous! I'm assuming that she's probably a female because a male at that size would probably be mature and have a slightly different leg-to-body proportion. That's an incredibly inaccurate way to --- a tarantula, of course.
There's no way to tell her age unless your friend has raised her from a baby. All you can say is that she's an adult and rosehairs are estimated to live between 25 and 40 years. They're considered the #1 starter species because they are so docile (which doesn't mean there aren't a few psycho rosies out there
).
Zephyr, your petstore guy was probably just scared. Pinktoes are famously friendly! Their only downside is that they can be really fast. Most of the New World species (North & South America) are fairly docile. Their primary defense mechanism is to flick urticating hairs, which can cause some minor itching. Old World species (Europe, Asia, Africa, etc.) are more defensive/aggressive because they don't have this defense mechanism. If they are threatened, their first and only option is to bite, which is why they often do. Some New World species are more likely to kick hairs than others, but you should be pretty safe with either a rosehair or a pinktoe. Every spider is an individual, so the best way to tell is really to watch the spider carefully for threat displays/signs of irritation until you know its temperament.
My rosehair looked exactly like yours until she molted. Here's a picture of her before and after...

After...

Here's a picture of her with her first pinkie mouse!

Your setup looks great. She's got a nice big water dish and a place to hide. If you give her a deeper substrate, she may burrow, or she may not. Mine did, but only before she layed her egg sac. (I bought her from a petstore. She was wild-caught, and it turns out she was pregnant. No babies tho... she ate the sac a few days later). Rosehairs are famous for being weird and unpredictable. Don't be alarmed if she stops eating for months on end, or just starts doing really strange things around the tank. You're gonna love her tho!

reefkprz

thats funny that you mention deeper substrate. our cats knocked over the 5g she was in busting it, mixing glass all through the substrate, (she is fine)so I put her in a spare 10G I had and used a whole new cube of eco earth for her. she has about 4 to six inches of substrate now because I am hoping she will burrow just so I can see it, she has only been in the tank for a day and hasnt yet I think it may be a bit cool for her I need to up the temp in her cage by at least four degrees its hovering around 75 deg right now. I was thinking maybe a heat mat I dont want to use a bulb they dry stuff out too fast and suck a lot of electricity.
By the way AWESOME pictures.

amandal

Yikes! Watch out for the cat! I lost my first and most beloved tarantula to that very same accident. I cried for two days.
As for the heat mat, I wouldn't worry about it. 75 degrees is perfect
. In the wild, she would spend the entire day underground where the temperature is much cooler, and night time temperatures are cooler than 75 degrees anyway. Four degrees warmer could rapidly dehydrate her, and if a heat mat malfunctions, it will cook her. If she's inactive, it's simply because she's a rosehair. They are actually most-commonly nicknamed the "pet rock". She's also probably recovering from her scare with the cats. She'll settle-in soon. You haven't had her very long... I'd just give her some time to get used to the new digs.