My new reef aquarium

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty059 http:///t/395326/my-new-reef-aquarium/40#post_3527465
That might be a better picture. I didn't think aiptasia was pink though.
Sea Anemones come in a variety. But it's typically a small handful that seem to be most common on the hobby. I don't recognize them but theycould very well be encrusting as, Bang mentioned. I do also need to get my eyes checked soon. Do they appear to be grouped in a matt type form?

bang guy

Another possibility for the pink coral are Pseudocorynactis. They would not have a stoney skeleton like Astrangia.

sparty059

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthemadd1 http:///t/395326/my-new-reef-aquarium/40#post_3527470
They look good. Are the zoos brown or purple? Here are some I took tonight.
The ones I have have some purple and some are brown. I'm beginning to wonder if I may have gotten a mixed group. It's too hard to tell right now as they're all very small though. Yours look amazing though! That's actually what I would want ideally, so maybe in a few months when I figure out another spot for some more Zoa's I'll go on the hunt for those. Amazing though, very nice coral :).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///t/395326/my-new-reef-aquarium/60#post_3527473
Sea Anemones come in a variety. But it's typically a small handful that seem to be most common on the hobby. I don't recognize them but theycould very well be encrusting as, Bang mentioned. I do also need to get my eyes checked soon. Do they appear to be grouped in a matt type form?
Matt type form? They're groups very close, they almost look like rock. I don't think (although I could be wrong) they are what Bang mentioned mainly because they don't have the shapes or the tentacles those other corals have. They have almost like little whiskers coming out of them and food is most definitely catching on them. I'm not sure if it's my eyes playing tricks on me or if they are actually starting to grow in size and quantity as well.
Lastly! I wanted to mention, I signed up for the Aqua Illumination Director Beta. It's pretty cool. I've been playing with it throughout the day as I received it today and I'm liking the UI. It's not 100% there, but it's getting there. I currently set my Vega's to a 1% dark blue throughout the night and it reminds me of the days I had Actinic LED's on my 150 gallon. The purple makes my birdsnest's and favia's green pop almost a glow in the dark like effect. I'm really digging the coral aspect of this hobby and am very excited I decided to start back up on the tanks!

tthemadd1

Zoos are hardy. Once they get settled they will spread well. Look on this site for deals on the more colorful zoos. Also check Craigslist. I always see people wanting to dump their tanks.

sparty059

Ok, so I did my water change today and added some reef builder to my new water. When I dumped it in there was some debris and I noticed the possible coral in question had shot a few more whiskers out. This is probably the best shot I have. Also my favia coral is starting to get homey on the rock this is growing. So if this is something I will want to keep I should probably consider moving the favia sooner rather than later.
Something to mention - the pinkish/reddish looks almost like part of a rock. Rough looking edges to it. Not sure if that helps any bit.

tthemadd1

Check your water parameters. I've had this happen as well in the past. Only a few spots. Make sure salt is correct too. Could just be expelling waste from its mouths. To be sure make sure water is correct.

sparty059

So does anyone have any thoughts as to why this is occurring? Every so often my favia swells up like this... is this telling me that something is wrong, or is it just happy?

sparty059

By the way that was about three hours ago. This is now... you can see a noticeable difference in the two images.

tthemadd1

Expelling waste I believe. Not only do they expel through osmosis but also physical waste. Mine does this as well. Some days it is more "full" than others. Ie. they swell and contract based on the water they absorb or expel through the tissues.

sparty059

So it has been a while since I've made a post update. I've been doing weekly to biweekly water changes and have been adding elemental reef building powder to my tank every time I think about it usually every five days. The tank seems to be doing very well and the corals look happy too. Take a look! My only question is how to the Lunar Zoa's split? It seems they're starting to get pretty big and I was expecting to see a head split or something but still haven't. I know it takes time, but was just curious to know if they split from their stem or is it some other way?

2quills

Looks good, Spartan. Are you keeping an eye on your calcium and alk? I believe you would see new heads form near the base of existing ones.

sparty059

Hey Cory, thanks for the info. I believe all my levels are proper. I think it might just have to do with the placement and the lighting. So we shall see! I apparently was in the middle of writing last night when I stepped away and never pressed enter...::

So after doing some research I found that the reason why they likely have yet to split is because they're too low in my tank. Similar posters have mentioned identical behavior with their zoa's (thick and long stumps trying to tower straight up towards the light). Resolution on their end is that they just moved it closer to the top and it spread like crazy. Now I'm not expecting mine to spread like crazy, however, I do feel this will at least add the blue center that I have been waiting for for these past few weeks and will start to show some signs of splitting. Hooray for research. I'm currently debating whether or not I should move my favia closer to the top of the tank as well, but I don't want to disturb it from its home of now over a month. It seems to be happy there and I don't think moving it would benefit all that much. I'm shocked though that my LED's aren't able to reach the base of the tank. As I mentioned I have the Vega system above my tank and it's two feet deep. We'll see how everything progresses though and maybe I'll adjust my LED settings to reflect a bit stronger light rather the max of 80% for only an hour and a half.

2quills

Dunno, Sparty. I have the hydras and a clam on my sand bed that looks as happy as can be. I also h ave some palys that are close to the bottom that I need to move down they look like they're getting too much light and I really don't run my fixtures that high at all. About 50% or so for the blues and whites. 24" tall tank.
Yeah I was just asking about the calcium and alk since you're dosing that reef builder stuff. May be something to keep an eye on.

sparty059

Heh... so my Calcium is apparently in the mid 500's. eeek.

I'll stop dosing the tank with the reef builder for a while then. As for my Alk, apparently I don't have the test kit for that so I'll have to run out and buy one this weekend. In the meantime, I did notice that a head just popped out of the stem of one of the zoa's. I still don't understand why they don't have the color I am expecting though. Unless it's not a lunar zoa... but then what zoa is it?

sparty059

So I've been monitoring throughout the week and started to notice that the stalks are starting to split all over. So that is great news. However, does anyone know if the zoa I have is truly a Lunar Zoa? I bought it off of someone from Craigslist and unfortunately the pictures they had on their page and the actual product are nothing alike. As you can see mine is pretty much a flat orange with a faded center. Does anyone have any thoughts as to A) why it's like that if it's truly a Lunar or B) What type of Zoa it actually is. I'm not necessarily bummed about the color because I'm excited to house zoa's but, I was half expecting a neon orange outer edges with blue inner.

Over the next few weeks/months (still waiting for the order to come in) I will be adding a tongue coral, three different kinds of ricordea, and the center piece --- a fuzzy dwarf lionfish. I've read they can be acclimated to a reef tank it will just require making sure they're always fed.

Any thoughts about the zoa though?

2quills

People make up so many names for zoas Sparty, you can probably call it whatever you want. I doubt that you got swindled...water chemistry, different lighting (changes in spectrum), nutrient levels, etc. can all play a role in why a coral may look completely different in your tank than it did in someone else's. Or not color up the same. Unless, of corse, they sold you some common brown paly's lol.