My new reef aquarium

sparty059

Boooo
. Well I'll see how it looks over the next few weeks. I've been meaning to make a run out to my LFS for the Alk reading but still haven't had the time. Still waiting for my Calcium to level out as well. Woopsies!

sparty059

Does anyone have any recommendations for keeping a clean sand bed? I need to purchase a few more nassirus snails and some clearer clams but I need something that will really sift the sand. My sand bed is starting to get fairly dirty from a bunch of waste. It's starting to build some short algae too. Would it be recommended to just mix the sand up myself with a stick? I thought I had read you shouldn't really touch the sand as there are nitrates that sit under there so mixing it up will cause a spike in levels. I have extremely fine sand also so I feel like trying to suck it up with a siphon will pick up the sand too.

jay0705

Don't mix it. Just an idea you could get a sand sifting goby. Hectors are small but move a decent amount for there size

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty059 http:///t/395326/my-new-reef-aquarium/80#post_3531830
Does anyone have any recommendations for keeping a clean sand bed? I need to purchase a few more nassirus snails and some clearer clams but I need something that will really sift the sand. My sand bed is starting to get fairly dirty from a bunch of waste. It's starting to build some short algae too. Would it be recommended to just mix the sand up myself with a stick? I thought I had read you shouldn't really touch the sand as there are nitrates that sit under there so mixing it up will cause a spike in levels. I have extremely fine sand also so I feel like trying to suck it up with a siphon will pick up the sand too.

If you get a sand sifting animal then you will end up with a dead sand bed. That is fine for a shallow sand bed as long as it is continuously sifted but your fish and coral will not have the benefits that a live sand bed will deliver.

If you have a deep sand bed then do not ever add a sand sifter. The sand needs the sand bed animals (micro and macro) to remain healthy.

sparty059

Thank you for that information -- both of you.

But Bang Guy, if people shouldn't add sifters then how is it that they keep their sand bed so clean?

Also, I just added to an existing order I have for 20 nassirus snails and five cleaner clams, will that cause any problems? I also have a brittle starfish that came with a reef pack I ordered a while back. My sandbed is about an inch and a half to two inches deep. Any recommendations you might have as to keeping it clean would be super helpful.

bang guy

My opinion but although I think Cleaner Clams are pretty cool, they don't do anything to clean the sand.

Do you know if the Nassarius you have are actually of the Nassarius Genus? If you post a picture of one I can tell. I ask for two reasons, Nassarius sp. are not detrivores per se, they only eat dead animal flesh. They will not eat fish poop, dead algae, or anything else, just dead animal flesh. There is a mud snail that is not really tropical that is commonly sold as Nassarius. These snails will eat algae, dead animal flesh, as well as live animal flesh. I don't recommend the mud snails for both reasons that they are not tropical and they are predators. If yours are Nassarius then you have way too many, two or three should be sufficient to clean up the corpses of things that have died.

Cerith Snails, Bristleworms, sifting Sea Cucumbers, Serpent Starfish, Cirratulid Worms, Peanut Worms, are among the most helpful in keeping a sand bed clean as is a good waterflow to keep the detritus suspended. Bristleworms are probably the most helpful. If your sand bed is large enough then a Fighting Conch can also be a good addition.

Within the sand bed there are many type of pods and microfauna that are needed to keep the sand bed healthy. So there are two parts, keeping the sand bed healthy as a good environment for the sand bed cleaners to live in.

jay0705

Question. What is considered a deep sand bed?. My bed depth varies BC if how I have it laid out.

sparty059

Bang Guy,
I'm not sure if these are going to be all that helpful. This was all I could get right now. So you're saying getting 20 of those would be overkill. Duly Noted. I've been doing all I can to keep good water flow. I have either a 55 or a 60 gallon hex tank and from what I've been hearing those are fairly difficult to get flow in every location. So I have two powerheads in there. One a 1400 and another 1050. They're both on corners of the tank pointing to a V point in the tank looking forward versus up or down. I've been finding whenever I adjust them even the slightest from that area the sand starts to shift creating mountains of sand in some spots and leaving other spots a bare tank.
If you feel I should be shifting my powerheads then I'm open to really anything at this point. It's not awful to look at, it's just becoming slightly noticeable and doesn't have the clean crisp look I was hoping for with a white sand bed.

bang guy

Thank you for the pictures, I can't quite get there.

Do a web search on "Ilyanassa obsoleta" and look at images compared to "Nassarius vibex".

For waterflow have you tried setting up a laminar flow by positioning the powerheads so they create a circular current around the tank?

For a perfectly white sand bed a 1/2" sterile sand bed works best. If you want something natural looking it's rarely going to look perfectly white.

sparty059

It's a vibex. Is that the bad one or the good one? I'll look at shifting the power heads and get it in a circular motion. It seems like some sections of the tank have clear spots too though. Anyway I'll adjust it around a bit and see if it looks any better. I'll also keep that in mind that it should be completely clear if it's natural. :)

bang guy

N. vibex is a good one :)

Apologies if I made you concerned about the snails.

You can feed them directly to keep all of them alive or you can go full Darwin and let them battle it out for food and the strongest will survive.

sparty059

Sorry, meant to say shouldn't be completely clear if it's the natural way. And no worries about my little freak out. You had me alarmed but better to spread some knowledge versus keeping it to yourself. I've shifted the powerheads this morning and almost immediately anything on the bed and rocks came up. I'll leave it as is for a while and see if it makes a significant difference and I'll keep you in the loop. Thank you again for your advice!

sparty059

Hellooooo everybody! So I finally get to put time back into my tank. Just got married two weeks ago so for the last month/two months I've had very little time to put towards the tank. Came back from the honeymoon to see at least two inches of water evaporated in my tank, levels crazy off, and algae all over. So I've been doing some water changes yesterday and today to make up for lost time. Corals seem to be getting back to a happy state and opening back up. After being away from the tank for two weeks I was able to come back to see a noticeable difference in one of the unknowns in my tank. I'm assuming this is a coral and it has most definitely split heads. This should be a much clearer picture than the last I posted. You can see the hairs coming out of it and opened up. At night the hairs retreat. Is this a picture that helps anyone identify what type of coral it is?

sparty059

Ah ha. Bang Guy I think you may have nailed it. I see you've had this mention in the past as well. Pretty cool though, thank you for helping identify!

sparty059

So I finally got to put in an order for some more corals! I currently have Favia coral, Green Birdsnest, and Lunar Zoa's spread across my tank. I placed an order and will be getting Tuesday the following items:

Green Tongue Coral
Hammer Coral
Candy Cane Coral
Mushroom Coral
Brain Coral - Open Green

I have spots for each one my only question is -- I know the Tongue sits on the sand... are those known to move around on the bed? Also, the Brain Coral - that's supposed to sit on the sand bed as well, right? I have each one their designated spots a fair distance away from each other. Once I get my 150 gallon running I'll use the tank I have up here as a frag/growing tank for corals. :)