My new "rescued" mandarin

luvmyreef

Well, here's the deal...I think that mandarin/dragonet fishes should be banned from pet stores.. This pic will show why. I have recently been looking for one because I have a 75g tank full of pods...that nothing in my tank eats. Well, I found this little guy at a local pet store...I wasn't gonna buy him because....well you can see why...But I felt bad so I "rescued him".
LET THIS BE A WARNING TO ALL WHO WANT A MANDARIN AND DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT PODS TO FEED IT.....

With all the pods I have, He will be fat in no time....Just thought I would share this...
the pics do not show enough detail...he is skin and bones...poor little guy...

julie853

What a kind thing you did for the poor little guy.
Good for you,I'm sure he will appreciate it greatly!

luvmyreef

Well I dont. except that the owner said he had this little guy for a few weeks, and that he had looked better when he got him. He had him in a 10 gallon tank with crushed coral and snails only. Thats why I said these fish should be banned from these types of stores. He is acting well, very active. always eating..
.Good signs right? And come on, could you have left him there knowing your tank would be like a banquet to him? I can only say I tried, and I do not regret my decision.

luvmyreef

Hey Guys/Gals, just wanted to update and say that this little guy is doing great!!!
No signs of sickness, and my goodness he is a pig!!!
The only thing I noticed was that the Emerald crab I have harrassed him one day, and took a chunk out of one of his fins.
...Anyone else seen this before?
I think he mistook it for an algae sheet that I usually hand feed him??? Anyways, I will post a new pic when I can get close with the camera w/o him darting off...hahaha

luvmyreef

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3146214
Glad to hear that....I have emeralds and they have not messed with my mandarin
thanks meowzer! I really think he just mistook it for the algae...he hasnt messed with him since....