My new Skimmer/Refugium

slice

I installed my new CPR AquafugePS this past weekend. It is a HOB Bak-Pak skimmer/refugium combo. Given my tank and stand dimensions (TALL and skinny), it is the best option I had for becoming reef ready. I had considered a custom sump that would fit the stand, but ruled that out.
I did not realize until reading the instructions and seeing it for myself, that the break in period is more of a material conditioning event; conditioning the acrylic to the SW until surface tension subsides. The unit expelled a fog of micro bubbles into the tank at first, but a day later the fog changed into the occasional larger bubble that floats harmlessly to the surface.
I currently have the collection cup at its lowest position. I am getting yellowish-brown wet skimate. It doesn't stink nearly as much as I had anticipated.
It is amazing to see how much invisible gunk was in the tank. I will try for drier foam later as the collection cup continues to condition.
I have the fuge lights timed opposite the DT lights (which are currently 6hrs total: 6hrs actinic, 4hrs day). I only have a golf ball of chaeto in the fuge, I will get more from the LFS this weekend. I also need to skim a bit of LS from the DT to add, as well as some LR rubble.
The unit sits higher on the back of the DT than I had imagined from the pictures, the fuge light is higher than the Current Extreme Pro fixture on the DT. It interrupts the clean lines of the tank, but we will get used to it in time.
Another thing I had not anticipated was the light leakage into the room. The fuge has one black panel; the one facing the tank. When the unit arrived, I thought about painting the other 3 sides black, but decided to mount it as is to see what happens. I now plan to get some dark black window tint film and cover the 3 sides while the unit is in place (should not be a problem installing).
The surface preskimmer I added as an option is a simple acrylic box with an open top and one corner cut out. The instructions said to install the included foam plug into the corner to prevent "detritus and curious fish" from being trapped inside the box. I decided that I did not need the foam. My fish aren't that curious and I did not want to look at the foam. I also was/am concerned about giving up my mechanical filter and wanted to see if the skimmer would also remove the crap swirling around the tank.
A few hours after feeding Mega Mix to the fish, I noticed that a few floating mysis that would have normally been gobbled up, had entered the box. I realized this is a good reason to install the foam, I would do it the next day.
The next day the mysis were no longer in the box?!? Where did they go?!? Meh, no matter, small mystery, lets install that foam block. Standing over the tank, looking into the box with foam in hand, one of the Peppermint Shrimp was inside! So THATS where the mysis went!
"Oh hai! Tanks for my nu super secwet hidey spot! Las nite I foun 5 little shrimpies! YUM!! I can haz more nao?"
I released the box from the pump, but the Peppermint did not want to leave her new hidey spot. When I poured her out from above the tank, she went back to the pump in protest. I had to nudge her off while reinstalling the box.
I swear I saw her flip me the claw as she retreated into the rock.
**oops, almost forgot: comments on proper skimmer and/or refugium operation requested

spanko

Peppermint shrimp are like that, they have their own hood in the ocean ya know.
Sounds like you are doing the right things with the CPR. Is the light leakage from the light fixture, or just from the light going through the acrylic of the HOB?
Ya might want to contact NanonewB, I think he had one of these on his tank.

S

smartorl

Do you have pictures of it? I have a 30 gallon that I have been toying with the idea of something similar. How large of a tank is it on and what size did you go with?
Skimmers have always fascinated me because of the amount of gunk they can pull.
When your skimmer runs drier, the smell will concentrate more. I don't find it to be a particularly bad smell, it's more earthy. I dump mine in my front flower bed (no reason why, just OCD) and the quail come running. They love to scratch the area and I'm not sure if it's the salt of what but they love it.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/381154/my-new-skimmer-refugium#post_3318749
Peppermint shrimp are like that, they have their own hood in the ocean ya know.
Sounds like you are doing the right things with the CPR. Is the light leakage from the light fixture, or just from the light going through the acrylic of the HOB?
Ya might want to contact NanonewB, I think he had one of these on his tank.
90% of the light leakage is through the acrylic; it is a function of the design.
Thanks for the tip, I will PM Nano...

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/381154/my-new-skimmer-refugium#post_3318751
Do you have pictures of it? I have a 30 gallon that I have been toying with the idea of something similar. How large of a tank is it on and what size did you go with?
When your skimmer runs drier, the smell will concentrate more. I don't find it to be a particularly bad smell, it's more earthy. I dump mine in my front flower bed (no reason why, just OCD) and the quail come running. They love to scratch the area and I'm not sure if it's the salt of what but they love it.
No pictures yet, but I intend to post some soon. I wanted to post in the "show me your tank" thread of a couple of months ago, but at that time, did not think my tank was worthy. It will be soon, and in a month or so, you will read a "My First Coral" thread from me (with pics).
My tank is a 47g column 20" wide, 18" deep and 30" tall. The skimmer fuge is 19.75" wide (the small one), just barely fitting across the back of the tank without extending beyond.
I have house plants out the ying-yang and do a bit of gardening as well, I will have to think about trying skimate as plant food...thanks!

mrdc

Whew, you wrote so much! I don't know a lot about skimmers except that they do take some time to break in. I quit using my skimmer box but it still pulls junk out of the water. I thought the skimmed stuff stunk but now it doesn't bother me. Oops ... boss is back.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/381154/my-new-skimmer-refugium#post_3318751

Won't the salt hurt your flowers? I know if you sow the land with salt nothing will grow.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdc http:///forum/thread/381154/my-new-skimmer-refugium#post_3320308
Have you made any light adjustments yet?
Nope.
I have yet to add additional chaeto to the fuge. I don't have enough in there yet to out compete the HA that is beginning to be a concern.
As soon as the fuge is doing its thing full blown, I will consider increasing the photo period in baby steps (one more adjustment in anticipation of having coral).
After having the skimmer going for over a week, I've seen my nitrates go from 13-18 (based on API color guesstimation) down to 10-15ish. I look forward to
further drops once the fuge is well populated with macros.
The tank is approaching 7 months old now and it is doing very well, but my patience is a bit irritated....
Thanks for asking!!

mrdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/381154/my-new-skimmer-refugium#post_3320321

Won't the salt hurt your flowers? I know if you sow the land with salt nothing will grow.
Not sure about skimmer sludge hurting anything but when I first started in this hobby, I killed several bushes in the front yard where I used to dump my changing water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice
http:///forum/thread/381154/my-new-skimmer-refugium#post_3320323
Nope.
I have yet to add additional chaeto to the fuge. I don't have enough in there yet to out compete the HA that is beginning to be a concern.
As soon as the fuge is doing its thing full blown, I will consider increasing the photo period in baby steps (one more adjustment in anticipation of having coral).
After having the skimmer going for over a week, I've seen my nitrates go from 13-18 (based on API color guesstimation) down to 10-15ish. I look forward to
further drops once the fuge is well populated with macros.
The tank is approaching 7 months old now and it is doing very well, but my patience is a bit irritated....
Thanks for asking!!
Cool. My 29g is on it's 7th week of cycling and I still don't feel ready to add anything. I'm starting to lose my patience though.

mrdc

Plus I get tired of people asking why there isn't anything in the tank. You can only explain cycling so many times!!! ... to newbees!

slice

During the initial cycle of this tank, I used (on recommendation from my LFS) Stabilize. I never really saw a spike in ammo, more of a gentle bump.
Nitrites and Nitrates looked like any other cycle. Process took about 5 weeks.

slice

Update:
4 tests during the past 11 days shows my Ph now consistent at 8.4, finally a color on the API card I can confidently judge. Ph had been 8.0+ -ish.
AND, for the first time, I've seen Nitrates go DOWN between W/Cs!! Before this unit, I would be somewhere approaching 20 this time of week,
last night Nitrates were a touch over 10!!! W00T!!!
now, about that noise.....

mrdc

What's making noise? I actually have some stabilize that I bought when my tank was crashing. Those were desperate times ...
I did add my first fish to the 29g yesterday. I added a strawberry dottyback and was glad to see him still kicking this morning. I was going to get a yellow tail damsel but they were selling the dottybacks for $9.99. I also got a pistol shrimp for my other tanl hoping it will pair up with my goby.

slice

The pump itself is making the noise. Last night I fidgeted with the skimmer box, the inlet tube, all the things that connects to or interacts with the pump, hoping to find something vibrating or rattling. It is the pump itself.
It seems to be getting noisier. I will do a little surfing over at the CPR site and see what others have done about this. The increase in water quality trumps the noise, however.
So, your 29g is alive now! good to hear, except as you know, no pics = didn't happen

You reckon the cycle is now established after 7+ weeks? You said you did not see the ammo spike, but I assume you saw trites and trates show up?
Also about the light on the fuge, I found that the light does not need the stands; the light has little prongs that captures the top edge of the fuge. That helped keep the light going into the fuge and
not into the room. I also put 2.5% dark black window tint film around the 3 clear panels of the fuge. That combo solved that problem.
Do you have a stock list in mind for the 29g?

mrdc

My skimmer is the loudest thing on my tank BUT I only notice it when I unplu it. I guess I am so used to the sound now.
I did get the ammo up but never quite as high as I wanted and I got the trites and trates up some. I tested the ammo last night and it was back to 0. The dottyback will unfortunately be my test subject. I have a few fish in mind that I want but that's really about it. I hope to grow my zoas and palys more in my big tank and move some frags to the 29g. I also plan to use the 29g for some chalices. I need to put the dang lights on a timer which I have but have been too lazy to setup.
Well it's good you found a simple solution for the fuge lights. When do you plan to add some livestock?

slice

Reading a bit over at CPR makes me think the increased noise *may* be from a dirty pump. I did a good bit of rock cleaning last weekend and got a lot of junk going through the skimmer. I will pull the pump and clean it this weekend and see if it makes a difference.
The cooling fans of my Current Nova fixture used to be the noisiest thing on the tank.
The plan is to get a good population of macros in the fuge and see what happens for maybe a month. I am sensitive to changing too many variables at once.
I also need to make a decision about my CUC. I have a rouge emerald crab that loves the taste of snail. He may end up in the fuge. I may go crab-less, opting for more snails, maybe a starfish. I have way too much detritus and crap in the tank right now, along with a bit of HA. Coralline is starting to show up, though.
At present, the timeline is probably December when finally I add a zoo frag. Or maybe a shroom. Maybe both. I need to post pictures of the rockscape and get recommendations on placement.
As for more fish, we really want a pair of firefish. I'd love a Coral Beauty or a Flame as the show fish, but that wont happen until Spring at the earliest.

mrdc

Cool! You sure are taking your sweet time but nothing wrong with that! I want a purple firefish and a midas blenny and I love flames.
The fan on the 29g starts out really loud and dies down after a few minutes. I really don't know how much benefit the fan is even adding and was wondering if I could go without it. I haven't added a clean up crew yet since I have no algae. I may go back to the LFS today and get a couple of hermits since I will be feeding the dottyback.