my setup that im looking at

small triggers

no but you could start building and then when you move set it up,, that way you dont have to wait more months until your done building. it gives you 6 months to buy and build,, and that way we arent sitting here waiting on you :)

2 79g now? LOL , you went from 20 longs to probably having 200 gallons in your system by the time you add your fuge/sump
Your addicted and you have not even started, this is a dangerous hobby

small triggers

I think most people get addicted when they first start ready and planning it. Its better to take a while to plan and make sure you arent going to regret what you started with.

mboswell1982

well, we're gonna start buying everything as we can afford it, the pumps and what not and lights an stuff, and ill probably get the glass cut in a few months and then get it put together and water tested and everything else. the stand will wait til we have the house, then build it in piecees and carry them into the house lol. she's gonna have a school of 5 red velvet wrasses, 1 male and 4 females, im still not sure on which wrasse im gonna do, but im gonna do the same with mine, plus my pair of clowns, gobies and what not in mine, and the same with hers, and probably, since the tanks are gonna be so big, a dwarf flame as my center piece fish, and the last fish added, and she's not sure on hers yet LOL and we are doing reefs. going with the current usa nova extreme pro lights, 6x54W, the tanks are gonna be 52x22x16, nice big footprint for the fish :D and ill probably make the tanks out of, im still debating and gotta talk to the glass guy, but im leaning towards 1/2" glass, maybe 3/4" glass, to make em extra strong. mag drive 1800 pumps, and i forget the skimmers weve picked out, ive got em written down on my list, and then probably roughly 100lbs of LR per tank, but, i was reading in a book today about some new foam stuff that turns into LR, its lighter, cheaper, made for marine tanks, and u can carve it the way you want it to be, comes in i think its 8x10 blocks and then u can sit there an carve caves and what not in it, might do that over a base of true live rock, just gonna take longer for the tank to cycle, but, i think it might be worth the wait.
do any of ya'll know anything about that foam stuff? is it a viable alternative to real LR?

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2841557
well, we're gonna start buying everything as we can afford it, the pumps and what not and lights an stuff, and ill probably get the glass cut in a few months and then get it put together and water tested and everything else. the stand will wait til we have the house, then build it in piecees and carry them into the house lol. she's gonna have a school of 5 red velvet wrasses, 1 male and 4 females, im still not sure on which wrasse im gonna do, but im gonna do the same with mine, plus my pair of clowns, gobies and what not in mine, and the same with hers, and probably, since the tanks are gonna be so big, a dwarf flame as my center piece fish, and the last fish added, and she's not sure on hers yet LOL and we are doing reefs. going with the current usa nova extreme pro lights, 6x54W, the tanks are gonna be 52x22x16, nice big footprint for the fish :D and ill probably make the tanks out of, im still debating and gotta talk to the glass guy, but im leaning towards 1/2" glass, maybe 3/4" glass, to make em extra strong. mag drive 1800 pumps, and i forget the skimmers weve picked out, ive got em written down on my list, and then probably roughly 100lbs of LR per tank, but, i was reading in a book today about some new foam stuff that turns into LR, its lighter, cheaper, made for marine tanks, and u can carve it the way you want it to be, comes in i think its 8x10 blocks and then u can sit there an carve caves and what not in it, might do that over a base of true live rock, just gonna take longer for the tank to cycle, but, i think it might be worth the wait.
do any of ya'll know anything about that foam stuff? is it a viable alternative to real LR?

I've seen alot of funny foam disasters where the whole foam structure separates from the wall and floor then floats to the top...

mboswell1982

from what i read in the book, this stuff actually sinks all the way to the bottom, it wont float at all, but eh, i gotta do more research on it lol

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2841602
from what i read in the book, this stuff actually sinks all the way to the bottom, it wont float at all, but eh, i gotta do more research on it lol
lol.. I've floated "great stuff" foam and pvc pipe before..

ilovemytank

I know you said you wanted two 20 longs because of space and seperate tanks, but isn't a 55 gallon tank the same length as two 20 longs side by side ? Then you can tell your girlfriend that you wanted to share in the same larger tank as her because you never wanted to see anything of yours seperated. That will gain you some brownie points, women love that sort of thing.
HA Ha ! No seriously how long is two 20 long atnks and how long is a 55 gallon ? Anyone know ?

mboswell1982

a 55 is 48" long and a 20 long is 30" long, i just dont like how tall they are, im building my tanks 52" long 22" wide and 16" high :p totally custom
LOL

ilovemytank

http:///forum/post/2841854
a 55 is 48" long and a 20 long is 30" long, i just dont like how tall they are, im building my tanks 52" long 22" wide and 16" high :p totally custom
LOL
Oooops ! I relpied at the end of the first page. Didn't realize that there was a whole page to read.

mboswell1982

LOL no worries man, i just hate the height on most of the big tanks, i prefer a tank to be wider than it is tall, gives a bigger footprint, and to my thinking, that means more room for the fish :D

ilovemytank

http:///forum/post/2841854
LOL
have fun with that ! If you are ever in the need of three ballasts ( cheap )to run square pin lights that are in excellent condition let me know. I replaced them with metal halides and now they gather dust.

mie

http:///forum/post/2835556
i might just have to look into that, the local craigslist up here sucks for tanks though, they're either cracked or way over priced LOL but it has been a while since i checked LOL
Have you checked Seattle or Eugene craigslist? My friend and i aquired a 210, 92, 72, 55, 40 and a 20 as well as lots of misc equipment. You have time on your side, look around for some sweet deals especially in todays economy, people are hard up for cash.

mboswell1982

what LFS do you go to mie? the only one ive found so far that i like even a lil bit is seahorse aquarium supply, saltwater fantaseas to me is just a nasty place, and we will never go back lol. and on the tank issue, i might do that with the sump, using 40g breeder's for that, but on the DT's, they're gonna be custom built cause of the size :p