my setup that im looking at

V

vinnyraptor

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2833990
ok here's what im looking at for a set up for me an my gf's first tank set up, its gonna be a twin tank, 2 20 longs, set side by side
1x rena filstar xp4
2x koralia powerheads 450gph
40lbs live sand
50lbs live rock
1x 24w uv sterilizer
1x 100g protein skimmer
2x stealth ul heater 100w 30g
is there anything else i need to add to that, thats just the stuff i found at the local petsmart, the koralia's are only 39.99 so i was pretty stocked about that, and the canister filter is rated for 265g, i intend to split it, and use it for both tanks, i think that should work pretty good, but let me know what u guys think
heres what im thinking after reading most of this thread.... are you crazy? your gonna spend all that dough on drilling two measly 20 gal tanks. build a custom stand for them, run pvc, uv sterilizers, etc. all in the space a 55 or even 90 gallon would take up anyways. 55, 75, and 90 gallon tanks are 4 ft long. your "twin 20's" would take up atleast 3 ft and require ALOT of custom work. for 12 inches, 6 on each side you can do WAY better especially if you build the stand yourself. salt isnt cheap and if your willing to buy expensive sterilizers, chillers, etc. why not buy a big tank that can house all of the fishes both you and your gf want?
bigger tanks are much easier to maintain then smaller ones! get a 90 new or used. build a stand and a fuge out of a 55 or atleast a 30 and call it a day man! you and the gf will be MUCH happier and spend less in the long run.

mboswell1982

oh yeah, guess i forgot to mention the stand is free, the sump is gonna cost us just material, its basically gonna be a learning process for us on this one, thats why we're goin with small tanks, next one will be a custom built, by us :p minimum size 75g. and on top of that, these tanks are gonna be personalized, one by me, and one by my gf

bpro32

I like how you are splitting them up, a his and hers tank. Keep away from the drama of choosing fish.

mboswell1982

exactly, this way she can get the fish she wants, and i can get the fish i want, and we wont have any problems of her not liking the fish in the tank, cause in her tank it'll be fish she's chosen LOL

rotarymagic

oh come on now, bumping it wasn't necessary lol... its not like you're trying to sell something haha...
what I told you in pm will work. it's just down to buying the stuff and jumping into it.

mboswell1982

im checking out those lights as we speak, me an the gf's dad are prolly gonna work out a design for the stand eitehr this weekend or next week sometime, so we can start looking at all that stuff

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2838451
im checking out those lights as we speak, me an the gf's dad are prolly gonna work out a design for the stand eitehr this weekend or next week sometime, so we can start looking at all that stuff
Just don't cut corners on building the stand(s) or the falling tanks could do tons of damage lol.

mboswell1982

The Current USA Nova SunDial T5 aquarium lighting fixture is for reef aquariums. This unique lighting fixture is the first reef aquarium lighting fixture recommended by the manufacturer for use in an aquarium canopy. This is possible because the SunDial has put the fan(s) in the back of this low profile light, so that heat can be easily dissipated out of the back of a wood aquarium canopy.
Please visit our Lighting Chart page to identify the best light for your particular reef aquarium.
Features:
Additional photos
Rear fan allows for installation in an aquarium canopy
Two 24 Watt SlimPaq 10K and two 24 Watt 460nm Actinic lamps
2 LED moonlights with blue or white interchangeable lenses. The power to the LEDs is supplied by an automatic photocell.
Individually contoured reflectors for maximum light intensity
Two integrated timers
Only one power cord, but dawn/dusk control is easily done with the dual integrated timers
Dimensions: 30-1/8" x 9-1/2" x 3-3/4"
is that the ones you were talkin bout rotary? is that enough wattage for what we were discussing in pm?

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2838461
The Current USA Nova SunDial T5 aquarium lighting fixture is for reef aquariums. This unique lighting fixture is the first reef aquarium lighting fixture recommended by the manufacturer for use in an aquarium canopy. This is possible because the SunDial has put the fan(s) in the back of this low profile light, so that heat can be easily dissipated out of the back of a wood aquarium canopy.
Please visit our Lighting Chart page to identify the best light for your particular reef aquarium.
Features:
Additional photos
Rear fan allows for installation in an aquarium canopy
Two 24 Watt SlimPaq 10K and two 24 Watt 460nm Actinic lamps
2 LED moonlights with blue or white interchangeable lenses. The power to the LEDs is supplied by an automatic photocell.
Individually contoured reflectors for maximum light intensity
Two integrated timers
Only one power cord, but dawn/dusk control is easily done with the dual integrated timers
Dimensions: 30-1/8" x 9-1/2" x 3-3/4"
is that the ones you were talkin bout rotary? is that enough wattage for what we were discussing in pm?
yeah run one of those per tank, they'll work for what you want and won't break the bank.

keri

I really love the idea of his and hers matched tanks! Looks like you're off to a good start :)
It would be kind of cool if all of your fish were blue and all of hers were pink :)

mboswell1982

LOL i dont know how the fish part will work out, but, at least she's into the fish as much as i am, even if i do get the joy of taking care of both tanks LOL since she's basically got a black thumb when it comes to fish LOL

mboswell1982

no, the gf changed her mind on the size tanks, and now is wanting twin 79g tanks, so im having to recalculate everything, including what all im gonna need, then we're gonna start buying everything piecemeal. the tanks, sumps, and stand will be built by me an my gf's dad, so thats cuttin back on some, but ugh
and before anyone says it, i know, im INSANE for doing this, but, its what she wants, and whatever she wants, she pretty much gets LOL

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2840691
no, the gf changed her mind on the size tanks, and now is wanting twin 79g tanks, so im having to recalculate everything, including what all im gonna need, then we're gonna start buying everything piecemeal. the tanks, sumps, and stand will be built by me an my gf's dad, so thats cuttin back on some, but ugh
and before anyone says it, i know, im INSANE for doing this, but, its what she wants, and whatever she wants, she pretty much gets LOL
yeah... that's pretty insane, so we can expect a build thread in 12 months? lol... j/k just start DOING and it'll happen quicker. waiting sucks lol..

mboswell1982

we're gonna start buying parts as we got the spare cash, then once we get our place next may/june we'll start building the tanks, stand, and whatnot, and thats when the build thread will be started LOL
we refuse to do this where we live now, which is the entire upstairs of her parents house, simply because i am not about to put up something weighs 3000lbs and then a, have to move it in 8 monhts, or b, have it go crashing through the floor/ceiling LOL