My shallow reef tank diary }(>')

nissan577

So lights?
That is the major question every reefer has. It was time for me to change my t5 bulbs. But I started looking and researching the LED lights the china people make. We sell them here at my wholesaler were I work, but still I needed more info. Many people are happy with the new 2 plug 2 switch dimmable. So I posted my lights on eBay and Craiglist. And within 48 hours I had buyers interested in my tek light 8 bulb fixture! Thankgod cause my room was hot every day I walk in. So time passed....Sunday came....Monday....and finally TUESDAY! My first little black box dimmable LED came in. Should've gotten 2 but 1 for now to test it out. And so far I'm happy. I regret buying one but w.e. I ordered another one and I'm praying it arrives today. The whole effect of the shimmer, dimming the LEDS is really amazing! I only paid $160!!!! Super happy! Oh and also my room is cold and my water drop from being 81 to 77 degrees! I was like
. My fish are happy.
Currently I haven't tried with sps but will soon.
For fish I have the following:
3 bartletts anthias (1 male, 2 female)
2 bicolor anthias (both an it)
1 regular clown
1 snowflake
1 blue tang
1 yellow tang
1 Four line wrasse
1 potter wrasse
wanting to add the following:
-Red sea Sailfin
-Picasso Clown
-Onyx Clown
-Platinum Clown
-Either a Flame or Potter angel or both
-2 lyretail anthias
so hopefully my dream comes true.
I still have the same system so all is good in my hood! lol
I sold the achilles and chevron I had. Thankgod cause i needed the money so I'm better :)

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan577 http:///t/382510/my-shallow-reef-tank-diary/440#post_3470818
So lights?
That is the major question every reefer has. It was time for me to change my t5 bulbs. But I started looking and researching the LED lights the china people make. We sell them here at my wholesaler were I work, but still I needed more info. Many people are happy with the new 2 plug 2 switch dimmable. So I posted my lights on eBay and Craiglist. And within 48 hours I had buyers interested in my tek light 8 bulb fixture! Thankgod cause my room was hot every day I walk in. So time passed....Sunday came....Monday....and finally TUESDAY! My first little black box dimmable LED came in. Should've gotten 2 but 1 for now to test it out. And so far I'm happy. I regret buying one but w.e. I ordered another one and I'm praying it arrives today. The whole effect of the shimmer, dimming the LEDS is really amazing! I only paid $160!!!! Super happy! Oh and also my room is cold and my water drop from being 81 to 77 degrees! I was like
. My fish are happy.
Currently I haven't tried with sps but will soon.
For fish I have the following:
3 bartletts anthias (1 male, 2 female)
2 bicolor anthias (both an it)
1 regular clown
1 snowflake
1 blue tang
1 yellow tang
1 Four line wrasse
1 potter wrasse
wanting to add the following:
-Red sea Sailfin
-Picasso Clown
-Onyx Clown
-Platinum Clown
-Either a Flame or Potter angel or both
-2 lyretail anthias
so hopefully my dream comes true.
I still have the same system so all is good in my hood! lol
I sold the achilles and chevron I had. Thankgod cause i needed the money so I'm better :)
Post up some pics of the new lights. What brand did you get? I would love to see the difference from the teks to the LED's.
Congrats on the new lights.

gemmy

Pretty. Keep an eye on the cooling of the unit. You may need to add more fans in order to extend the lifetime of the LED's themselves.

anjiro

Nissan,
So, what brand are they and do you have any SPS under them? I'm having to replace my Metal Halides right now and have been considering the same thing

nissan577

Thanks to all,
and yes i read some people replace the fan cause they are noisy which I have to agree, but I will do that down the road lol. Really happy with the outcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjiro http:///t/382510/my-shallow-reef-tank-diary/440#post_3471694
Nissan,
So, what brand are they and do you have any SPS under them? I'm having to replace my Metal Halides right now and have been considering the same thing
The brand? I call them the Nissan Brand lol, just pick one on E-bay. Guy was selling them $200 free shipping. Love them so far. I got a red monti and red millie. The monti lost color, i figure but thats because the tank was without like for like 2 weeks :(

novahobbies

I'd love to test some of these import LED lights under a PAR meter. I'm sorely tempted to try one, "just to see."

nissan577

You should buy it and love them! lol. i thought they were gonna suck since they were chinese! But i must say they are shocking me! the light they give is woah! and my scolys open up more then with the t5 yet the t5 were like 2 year old bulbs lol.

novahobbies

I'm really getting tempted now, thanks for that info. I might just buy one with my next paycheck (my "allowance" portion, heh...) and test it out. It's a pricey thing just to test, but might be worth it. I wouldn't mind seeing how it looks over my seahorse tank, either. It would give my poor chiller a break from the MH lamp, lol.

novahobbies

Big difference between you and me is tank depth: I have a 29 inch deep tank, so I know I'll need something to punch down fairly well. I don't mind keeping softies and chalices down there (in fact I'd prefer to) but I want to make sure the light is at least enough at those depths.

nissan577

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/382510/my-shallow-reef-tank-diary/440#post_3471830
Big difference between you and me is tank depth: I have a 29 inch deep tank, so I know I'll need something to punch down fairly well. I don't mind keeping softies and chalices down there (in fact I'd prefer to) but I want to make sure the light is at least enough at those depths.
Well it is said they cover 2' by 2' thats why i got 2 of them. My bro in law has a 180g and he is running 3 of them. After he saw mine he took off his metal halides and put 3 of them and he is very happy with the outcome! hope that helps :)

nissan577

Fish help please: Im in need of movement!
Current stock list:
3 bartletts anthias
2 bicolor anthias
1 potter wrasse
1 4line wrasse
2 clowns
1 yellow tang
1 tank raised blue tang
1 mandarin
My tank is a 50g shallow tank. but will like to add 2 female squareback anthias and 3 firefish. Will that be ok? and please I don't wanna hear "what are you talking about?! thats to much fish! blah blah blah" im not here for that. Was also thinking of the mimic eibli indian ocean tang
:) thankyou any info will help or recommendations!

novahobbies

I'm personally not a big fan of the squarebacks....they never seem as motile to me as the other Anthias at my LFS, plus they get pretty big. What about some chromis? There are a few "new" species that aren't you typical blue or green that make good schooling animals. The firefish would be nice, but again....it's not like they dash about too much.