My take on Classifieds

caillou

I love them, I have not used them yet. I'm of the opinion that these are great for local trading and sales only. SWF.com has been gracious enough to allow everyone on these boards to have access to these and for that I thank them! If you send your money to someone you don't know and get taken, boo hoo. this isn't the big auction site. If you complain about the fact that you sent money to someone you don't know and got taken SWF.com will most likely take this forum away. Use your heads. Go for local where you can exchange $ for goods in person. If you want to take the chance of sending your money that's up to you, but I don't remember seeing a forum heading of "people who complain about getting taken" so don't complain about your own stupidity. I'd like nothing more than to see this board thrive, I wondered why they didn't have one when I joined. Now I see why. All I'm really saying is to use your heads, act responsibly and know that you're taking a risk if you send $$. Look for the local ads!

msitework

You have some nerve calling everone who sent money to receive goods from another person stupid. So you expect them not to inform the other board members that there is a scammer on the board commiting fraud, how stupid is that. I would think that everyone should be informed so the same thing doesn't happen to them. A lot of things can't be acquired locally for many people. You stated your opinion, so here's mine. You should pull your head out of your as* long enough to see that this board is also about helping other reefers, if they let one person commit fraud without reporting it, how many more do you think will come & try the same thing.

caillou

Dude, relax,
did you miss the entire point of the thread? Use it responsibly, that's all. SWF.com is not in the business of giving everyone a place to sell. That's another site altogether. I guess I don't subscribe to the "it's not my fault I sent my money to someone I don't know and got scammed" mentality.

tom024

I am sorry if I start all of these. But I truly believe that it is my responsibility to inform the other board members there is a scammer on the board commiting fraud. I would think that everyone on this forum should be informed so that the scam doesn't happen to any of them later. I didn't and won't regret about what i have done.
My intention was letting everyone knows about the scam and also teaching JACKALPUPZ a lesson. I didn't mean to cause any tension b/w the reefers or give any reason for this site to be shut down.
Everyone in this forum is more than welcomed to share their thoughts or opinions to keep the site going but please, please, please.......
DON'T CALL PEOPLE NAME
DON'T USE FOUL LANGUAGE
RESPECT EACH OTHERS
Moderator,
I am truly sorry if I have caused any trouble.
Thanks all and Happy Reefing.

22caddy

Caillou, why start a thread of controversy on this subject here. You are saying you don't want to lose the classifieds, well threads like this won't help. And how is the big auction site any safer than this. There are more scams there than any other place I have seen. Why not just delete this now and end it all.

caillou

How is telling people to act responsibly controversial? It all started when I read NM Reefs response on this link.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...hreadid=151325
I think your taking it out of context. SWF.com is a retailer not an auction house. They're not here to police the activities of a few unscrupulous members. In fact if the classifieds get to be a thorn in their side they'll just shut it down. All I was trying to say is to use your heads when buying here because I think it's in everyones best interest here on the boards to keep certain forums open. I'm sorry tom024 lost money doing a deal here. It sucks! 99.9% of the people who are on these boards are totally honest but it goes to show you that the internet is not that safe of a place yet. The auction sites are not 100% safe either, that was not my point. Everytime I complete a deal there I breathe a sigh of relief. Deleting it would be a good idea, let's just sweep it under the carpet and pretend that it didn't happen. Nah, The point is still valid.

maeistero

Originally posted by Caillou
I love them, I have not used them yet. SWF.com has been gracious enough to allow everyone on these boards to have access to these and for that I thank them! Use your heads. complain about my own stupidity. you're taking a risk if you send $$. Look for the local ads!

i love you, i hate your, i love you, i hate you, whoops no more petals. so you like the classifieds, call them graciously allowed, want to use them, and like the fraud. nobody here complains about fraudulent people, they deal with it in a very efficient manner. i applaud them for realizing complaining (like you) doesn't work. deal with it and move on. educating the rest of the board is just above and beyond.

22caddy

Read your first post. So telling people boohoo and there stupid because they got taken isn't a controversial subject. Lets see you get taken once and see how it feels.
I think your taking it out of context. SWF.com is a retailer not an auction house. They're not here to police the activities of a few unscrupulous members.
Auction places don't police there sites either. I see the point you are trying to say, but come on. Your first post makes it sound like everyone is an idiot if they send someone money. Also the post you are refering to is only about half a page down and is locked, so yeah lets start another.

scubadoo

Caillou.... You original post is directed towards folks that get ripped off and complain. THe moderator post in that thread is directed towards promotion of a payment service and auction house that is evidently against the rules.
I suggest you go back and read the repsonse carefully...you missed the point in my opinion. You have taken the response and twisted it to fit fraud....I do not beleive that was the moderators intent but I could be wrong.
Also, using "stupidity" and "boo-hoo" in your post is counter-productive to having an intelligent debate between members. It only serves to upset folks with little benefit.
I agree one should use their head when entering into a transaction via the internet and/or through local classifieds. Folks who get scammed are not all stupid. Some scammers are quite good and can even provide false references, etc.
Folks can get ripped off in person too...happens all the time. Faulty equipment, meeting an individual somewhere only to get robbed, etc, etc.
You certainly are entitled to your opinion....but the way you presented it is offensive. So you think a person that has been ripped off appreciates the stupidity tag? Many victims of fraud already feel this way which is why many white collar crimes go unreported. Your post does NOTHING to help given the tone and chosen words. That's my opinion.

reelsteel

Get a paypal credit card! 100% safe, you don't get the goods...you don't have to pay. Sure it has some fees involved if your the seller, but everyone wins in the end and the few pennies on the dollar you get charged are worth not worrying about if your getting ripped off or not. There's my 2 cents and I really like this website so I hope everything works out.

caillou

I never intended this to go this direction, My choice of the word stupid was wrong. I happen to use the word stupid a lot. I for one have probably done more stupid things in my life than most everyone on these boards. I can look back and laugh at myself for being so stupid at times, others may not. I didn't intend on offending anyone. I have been burned on auctions and online things in my life and I look at them as learning experiences. That's all. There are a lot of young people here (high school etc.) who have probably not had the expeiences that others including myself have had and it was simply done to give fair warning. So , I apologize if anyone took offense to this. If I weren't so stupid I'd know how to delete this thread as my intententions were nothing but good.

maeistero

ok cai, i forgive you. btw, did i tell you about that timeshare land in florida? i can get you a great price if you can just wire me the money.

loopy

Just my 2 cents, but I purchases something from someone here, and what I bought arrived later than it was suppose to thanks to the post office and it was dead. It wasn't his fault, but he offered to refund my money and send me the same thing when the weather is better, and I will then send him another check. So you see, one bad apple doesn't always spoil rest.
I do think people should be warned when they are scammed, it keeps the rest of us from being scammed by the same person, and for that I am thankful. This just needs to settle down and go away.

coryherb

dark4p ripped me off on live rock here. I wanted to buy 200 pounds. Gave him half 250 bucks to hold for me as he agreed but never could find him to give him the other half or to get my original money back. He has gotten a few bad references on ---- I noticed now. Guess he took a bunch of money and skipped town. Anyway..getting ripped off does happen ..even here. I do have an address and name that he gave me..appears to be legit. Or at least was at one time according to a google search. be careful.

dvflyer

I don't see why SWF would take a section of their forums down due to (a couple of) people getting scammed. In fact, I think they could promote the ability of people here to comment on transactions they've done. Since 99% of them will be successful, the value of the classifieds would go up.
I am thankful for people complaining about bad traders and giving a thumbs up for good traders. If for nothing else, it gives me a bit more of a warm fuzzy feeling about dealing with the good people.... even though I know I'm taking a risk any time I send money to someone I don't know.
In fact, SWF should bundle a discount for their own products into purchases made on their classified forum. i.e. buy a used pump from their forums and get a discount on filters or ??. I understand the used section takes a perceived possible sale away from them, but those buyers are buying used so the sale for SWF probably wouldn't happen anyway.

tiggerguy

ok i got to get my 2 cents in since alot of this is leading back to my getting ripped of anyways.. first of all .. in no way is it swf.com fault.. and i have gotten better deals and had less problems on here then ----. only prob on here was the jackal guy and trust me i will be getting money back.. this is a great site period. there will always be the people who are out to rip off others.. people that are ripped off should have the right to voice about that person. i beleive there should be a forum or a sticky just for feedback. might even help out with what people are willling to pay. cause good feedback only helps sales.
there should be no finger pointing. or looking down on people that got a bad deal. but there should be praise to those that do good.
IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU ALWAYS DID YOU WILL ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU ALWAYS GOT.
TODAY IS BUT A YESTERDAYS TOMMOROW
LIVE LAUGH LEARN

maeistero

:jumping: this is the best classifieds for sw i've come across.
that's a period back there. i believe that the forums draw a lot to this site and prob bring a lot of new customers. there are some scammers, but as it has been stated before, why not just put it on ebia and insure.