my tank

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MaTT B
damsels and ive had it for about a yr
I have to ask; If you have had this tank for a year then why is there no growth on the rocks and they are covered in sand? We are here to help. How long ago did you get the fish that are all still young? We are all happy to help you. We need the facts of your tank. What are the water readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, KH, SG, and temp?

sepulatian

its not live rock and i got them all together about aweek ago
Okay. Is it base rock? How long has it been in there? Please do not get offended by the questions. We need to know as much as possible about your tank to help you. That was a lot of fish to add at once.

sepulatian

The Miniata grouper grows to over 16 inches, The lion grows to 12-15 inches, I am not sure what kind of eel that is, but they all grow to about 3 feet or more. The Picasso trigger grows to 9" or more. These fish are all too big to be in a 55, especially together without natural live rock.

matt b

ok so what size tank would u say and im guessing a wet dry filter and how should i cycle it and every thing bcus i got all this stuff from a local fish store and im guessing the guy dosent no what hes talking about so if u could help me with evey thing i need that would be great and how long do u think these fish will be ok in this tank

dstoneburg

ok so what size tank would u say and im guessing a wet dry filter and how should i cycle it and every thing bcus i got all this stuff from a local fish store and im guessing the guy dosent no what hes talking about so if u could help me with evey thing i need that would be great and how long do u think these fish will be ok in this tank
The fish I would give 6-8 months. That number is going to vary by who you ask, again it is just an opinion. In 6-8 months its not their size that I would be worried about, more the bio-load they will have on such a small tank. A wet-dry would be very beneficial.. Also this is opinion based as well, 125 I say would be MINIMUM. Perf. a 200g+. Aswell you only have to cycle a tank once, so you are fine on that. Just next time please do not use any live-fish.

matt b

but if i get a 200gal tank i will only be able to put 55gals of cyc;ed watter in is that ok???? and so ur saying from now on use live rock to cycle tanks???? and if i cycle with live rock are all fish on iwith live rock?/

grabbitt

Live rock is key to add to a tank at start-up because it acts as a filter for the water to cycle through. Your lace rock will eventually become live, but that will take months of exposure. Live rock can be pricey, but it is part of the necessary process for the start-up and well-being of any serious saltwater tank. Right now with all those predators in a tank of that size, I can only imagine the bio-load to be HUGE... A bigger tank and enough LR can help balance that out.
Not to mention how big each of those guys are gonna get...

matt b

so im gonna need a wet dry live rock and a bigger tank any idea on how to move this tank into the new bcus ill prob get like a 200gal so do i like put sum new watter in and all the water from my old tank or what

stdreb27

You are going to want to fill up your 220 or so first, let it cycle for a few weeks, then add your fish. I wouldn't bother with your water from your current tank. you aren't going to want a 3/4 full tank, your filtration if you use a wet dry it won't work because the intakes will be out of the water. And you might want to start buying because your looking at a couple thousand dollars between the LR your gonna need ALOT. And your filtration, your gonna need alot and your tank it is gonna have to be huge. 220 or bigger! And hurry up cause your gonna need to move your fish in a few months, those boogers grow fast.

dstoneburg

Adding them all at the same time should be fine. The reason you want to stagger adding them is because of the large bioload it adds. But if you are handling the bioload fine now, im sure it will be ok.