My tiny roses

lmecher

Some of you may remember my tiny roses that keep splitting. I just wanted to share a photo I just took. This little guy has never looked better.

lmecher

Yes, my son brought it back.
Mr. Clownfish: I got one in October, it was the size of a ping pong ball, maybe a little bigger. It split in Nov. and one clone split again in Dec. I am working on trying to get it to grow instead of splitting. It is not a just one that stays small and splits, I have had one of it's clones for over 2 years and it only split twice, and they get very large in between. I am in the process of setting up a 50g. for all my roses large and small. Hoping the larger system will get them to grow instead of splitting.

rod buehle

Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/post/2916158
Yes, my son brought it back.
Mr. Clownfish: I got one in October, it was the size of a ping pong ball, maybe a little bigger. It split in Nov. and one clone split again in Dec. I am working on trying to get it to grow instead of splitting. It is not a just one that stays small and splits, I have had one of it's clones for over 2 years and it only split twice, and they get very large in between. I am in the process of setting up a 50g. for all my roses large and small. Hoping the larger system will get them to grow instead of splitting.
Can you tell us about the set up?, what inhabitants are in the tank? what are you feeding them? how often? water parameters/temp?

lmecher

Rod
Right now they are in a 14g. biocube, I know what you are going to say but it is temporary. One goes tomorrrow and the rest will be moved into a 50g in a week or two. I got the little rose the end of October from my brother who had kept his in a 10g. frag tank for over a year and never fed. I have been feeding tiny bits of mysis every few days. My biocube has been set up since the 2006. I removed the cover and have 2-24" nova extreme T5 units. I perform a 4 gallon water change weekly, since the second split I have been performing 2 a week to keep up the quality. I use B-Ionic calcium buffer 2 part system daily at the rate of 5ml of both parts.
Parameters
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
PH 8.2
KH 8
calcium 400
SG 1.025
temp 80
I use oceanic salt. I am getting a magnesium test kit tomorrow and I want to test. Do you add trace elements to your reefs? How about iodine? Any other suggestions are welcome.
I also have some softies and 2 juvinelle clowns, 1 to be moved tomorrow.

rod buehle

http:///forum/post/2916986
Rod
Right now they are in a 14g. biocube, I know what you are going to say but it is temporary. One goes tomorrrow and the rest will be moved into a 50g in a week or two. I got the little rose the end of October from my brother who had kept his in a 10g. frag tank for over a year and never fed. I have been feeding tiny bits of mysis every few days. My biocube has been set up since the 2006. I removed the cover and have 2-24" nova extreme T5 units. I perform a 4 gallon water change weekly, since the second split I have been performing 2 a week to keep up the quality. I use B-Ionic calcium buffer 2 part system daily at the rate of 5ml of both parts.
Parameters
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
PH 8.2
KH 8
calcium 400
SG 1.025
temp 80
I use oceanic salt. I am getting a magnesium test kit tomorrow and I want to test. Do you add trace elements to your reefs? How about iodine? Any other suggestions are welcome.
I also have some softies and 2 juvinelle clowns, 1 to be moved tomorrow.
do you run any carbon on that cube? how about a skimmer? (My first comment isnt about lights or the size of the cube like you thought I would say, is it?
. ) The first thing is maybe aleopathy from the leather coral that you have (where I guess the tank size will come into play)..Not that thagt leather will reak havok in you small tank, but it could posible/barely stress the roses enough to cause the splits.I personally would be too worried about the splits. Just a wild guess that could be a wrong one.
I do not add trace elements. Many of them can be a poison. Especially if they reach levels above NWS. Especially iodine. Iodine is too hard to test (converts to iodide in salt water ) for, and is toxic especially to the micro inverts that are needed for a natural system. There is plenty of iodine in the salt and foods. Especially if your doing regular water changes like you are. Never dose anything that you cant properly test for.

lmecher

Originally Posted by Rod Buehle
http:///forum/post/2918357
do you run any carbon on that cube? how about a skimmer? (My first comment isnt about lights or the size of the cube like you thought I would say, is it?
. ) The first thing is maybe aleopathy from the leather coral that you have (where I guess the tank size will come into play)..Not that thagt leather will reak havok in you small tank, but it could posible/barely stress the roses enough to cause the splits.I personally would be too worried about the splits. Just a wild guess that could be a wrong one.
I do not add trace elements. Many of them can be a poison. Especially if they reach levels above NWS. Especially iodine. Iodine is too hard to test (converts to iodide in salt water ) for, and is toxic especially to the micro inverts that are needed for a natural system. There is plenty of iodine in the salt and foods. Especially if your doing regular water changes like you are. Never dose anything that you cant properly test for.

I am actively running carbon, know of the toxicity of leathers.
Where the take resides, I can't fit a skimmer, rely on lrg. water changes.
I tested my magnesium and it is a little low. I was going to pick up some by b-ionics magnesium.
I was going to move on to iodine, would you recomend that I test for iodine? These test kits are so expensive, I am debating whether I should or not.
B-ionics has major and minor trace elements but id dose not list them on the containers, I need to look this up.
Question, you typed "I personally would be too worried about the splits." Could you clarify this, typo??
Thanks

rod buehle

http:///forum/post/2918433
I am actively running carbon, know of the toxicity of leathers.
Where the take resides, I can't fit a skimmer, rely on lrg. water changes.
I tested my magnesium and it is a little low. I was going to pick up some by b-ionics magnesium.
I was going to move on to iodine, would you recomend that I test for iodine? These test kits are so expensive, I am debating whether I should or not.
B-ionics has major and minor trace elements but id dose not list them on the containers, I need to look this up.
Question, you typed "I personally would be too worried about the splits." Could you clarify this, typo??
Thanks
yep, typo.. WouldN'T be worried. Yes, the splits are usually related to some sort of stress and often people that hear that are thinking that someone is telling them there tank is in bad shape, or that they cant properly care for the anemones. Usually this isnt the case at all. It could be from shipoping stress, it could be from a water change with different temps/pH/?/?.. It could be because a fish nibbled one time...
the iodine test kits on the hobbyists level for iodine are pretty much worthless. a good lab grade test wouldl cost hundreds.
While iodine is found in NSW at .006 PPM (very little) there has never been any proof that any of the animals that we keep actually need iodine. Sure, it is found in the exoskeleton of shrimp and stuff, but many say that the reason that they molt is to rid themselves of the iodine.
I used to add iodine in the early 90s because someone said that softies needed it.. Quit adding any traces in 1995 and thats when things started to going very well for my tanks. If your doing water changes with a good salt, the only things that should need supplimentation would be CA, Alk, and occasionally MAG, but only if testing annd monotoring. ( I know that you know this.. just typing for others that may be reading)

lmecher

Well i have come to the conclusion that these are splitting due to stress long ago. That could not be more obvious. I would never add anything without testing first. I will forgo the iodine testing.
Funny on many sites where bta's are sold, I have found a line similar to this "Supplements: Calcium, Magnesium, Strontium, Iodine, Trace Elements". It can be very confusing, as to which ones to test and which not.
I will be adding the magnesium suppliment, I have tested and mine is a little low. In the mean time, watching them closely. I sold one yesterday so I now have one less, a good thing (keep telling myself) I just hate to part with them. Thanks for looking at this and the suggestions. I will worry a little less now.