My try at some homemade fish food (they went crazy)

J

jstdv8

i guess I should have mentioned that the salmon were river caught not ocean caught. I don't know if that makes a difference.
I do have some halibut, but I never have an abundance of that.
Good idea on the other fish though. when we are out halibut fishing i usually end up with some other stuff that I just throw back. now I have a use for it :)
We also go clam digging at very low tides. I do it for he fun becuase I don't like clam, but I'll bet my fish will :)
any particular clams better than others? the ones we catch are razor clams

t316

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3202249
i guess I should have mentioned that the salmon were river caught not ocean caught. I don't know if that makes a difference.
I do have some halibut, but I never have an abundance of that.
Good idea on the other fish though. when we are out halibut fishing i usually end up with some other stuff that I just throw back. now I have a use for it :)
We also go clam digging at very low tides. I do it for he fun becuase I don't like clam, but I'll bet my fish will :)
any particular clams better than others? the ones we catch are razor clams

I don't think it makes a difference salt water vs. fresh water. I mean, one of things my fish love the most is blood worms, and as far as I know they come out of the ground. There is a water species, but fish will eat a regular fishing worm that you dig up out of the yard.
Originally Posted by Keith Gray

http:///forum/post/3202310
I am in lenoir NC western north Carolina
I know exactly where you are. I went to college at Western Carolina...

keith gray

Cool- thanks for the info. You did not know you are helping out on old Appalachian guy did you ? lol
thanks again

beachblue

I started making home-made food for my FW fish years ago, and now also do it for my SW guys. I do also feed several types of pre-packaged frozen foods, but I love the home-made because of how I can vary ingredients and it's WAYYYYYYY CHEAPER!
Did you add any geletin to your food? I add a couple packages of (Dissolved) plain knox geletin to the mix after it's pureed in the blender, pour the mixture out into a pan (tap pan lightly on counter to settle and remove air bubbles) then chill in fridge for a couple hours and you can cut it into nice neat little cubes to freeze.
The stuff is pretty gross in the blender, though!

jackri

I personally prefer not to add any extra filler. I just scooped it into the ziplock and flattened it and it breaks off easily into pieces to feed my fish (like cubes).
Yeah I agree -- really gross and fishy smelly making but I thought it was kind of fun to do -- and yes A LOT cheaper!

ironeagle2006

Nori is Sushi wrappers. Now if your like me and have in laws that live next to a major Oriental market I get mine 500 sheets at a time for the green the red I get at the LFS same with the Purple. However my fish all love their diet.

t316

Originally Posted by Keith Gray
http:///forum/post/3203548
Cool- thanks for the info. You did not know you are helping out on old Appalachian guy did you ? lol
thanks again
I like Appalachian. We used to have mixers (fraternity) with some of the sororities from App...