Mystery Wrasse Close up Pics

mary

Sorry, so far you have not gotten an answer from any of us as to what it is. Very much like a fairy wrasse. Has more markings.

mary

Don't you love the way it moves, so fluid! Our LFS had a wrasse that was unidentifiable and would not sell it. So very beautiful also.
They know fish, were all educated in those fields and when unusual varieties come in they can't identify, then indeed it may be a variation of a known fish, just not named as yet. But same species fish do very from place to place. I hope you have very good luck with it.

huny

Mystery Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus) I got it here in Houston about 8 months ago. You can also purchase them online.
Those links are not allowed
I'm a wrasse freak. Here what I got in my tank right now.
Mystery (Pseudocheilinus Ocellatus), Banded Possum (Wetmorella Nigropinnata), Peppermint Hog (Bodianus Opercularis), Lineatus (Cirrhilabrus lineatus), Leopard (Macropharyngodon Meleagris), Social Fairy (Cirrhilabrus Rubriventralis), and Cleaner Wrasse

ty_05_f

That is one expensive fish ya got their but it is beautiful. I love my wrasse too they are soo cool.

mary

Huny, my books do not have the Mystery Wrasse in them. Must need another. Do you know where the name originated from? I really thought you were joking.

Mary, here are some other names they go by according to online info:
"Pseudocheilinus ocellatus Known by several common names, take your pick: the Mystery Wrasse, the Tail Spot Wrasse, and/or the Five Bar Wrasse. West central Pacific. To four inches in length."
That is a beautiful fish. Thank you for sharing your pic with us. TR

mary

Texas Ranchers, Thank you very much! Five bar I have seen before but am remembering it didn't have the definitive marks, lines on face. There can be differences from areas these fish come from. Or it was not the Mystery wrasse. Pseudo. sometimes means aggressive? Only through chiclids do I know the freshwater term, and I had for several years a very enlightening chiclid tank, all pseudotropheuses , all aggressive. Beautiful fish also. Will look that up. Would love another wrasse but the six line {unable to catch) would create havoc! Will check out the Baensch marine book at LFS., for more pics of the Mystery wrasse.

huny

Mary don't put Mystery wrasse w/ six line! Six line will chase most of small wrasses. Here are some more pics of my wrasses.
Leopard Wrasse

Picture Wrasse

Yasha Goby and Tiger Pistol

Rainford Goby

Lineatus Wrasse

Social Fairy

Banded Possum

mary

Thanks for the unbelievable photos of your wrasses. Lucky you. Also you must have a very well maintained tank to keep those so healthy looking . Wow, am impressed. . The fish trap that is sold will never catch a six line wrasse. Not the type of fish to lured by food. Will just enjoy yours. Is that a Rainfords gobie?

goldenboy

Huny, that's a nice female leopard you have. I'm getting one in a few weeks and can't get any advice/info from anyone else here. Did you ween it to frozen brine? What does it eat?:notsure: