Nano Cube 28g HQI vs. Red Sea Max 130D

bigal0221

I have decided to give a small reef a try. I can not decide between these two systems. I will have to have a stand either way I go so the cost will be
$650 for Nano Cube or $800 for the Red Sea Max. RSM is a little bigger and the plug-n-play is nice. Nano has better lighting. Any other advantages/disadvantages to these systems? I just wanted to get your opinions or suggestions. Thanks!

yearofthenick

The RSM has an awesome protein skimmer... the nano cube doesn't have one at all. If you want to run corals, you'll need a skimmer.
Yes, the HQI is better for corals, but with the RSM's T5's, you won't need to run a chiller. Your corals won't grow as fast as they would with an HQI, but they'll still grow quite nicely. I had a frogspawn that doubled its size in 4 months in my RSM under the stock T5's. I couldn't get it to stop growing.
Plus, the RSM is 5 gallons bigger. I really miss mine - I had to sell it to pay bills. If I got into it again, I'd get an RSM.

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by bigal0221
http:///forum/post/3009834
Oh, and by the way the 28g HQI does come with a protein skimmer.
Yeah, you'll be able to keep most softer corals, anemones and crocea clams... you won't be able to keep Maxima clams in there though.
When I had my RSM, I wasn't really limited. Most of the harder corals were the leathery looking ones... personally I'm a fan of all the neon colors... not leather.
The choice is totally yours though. You'll likely need a chiller for the HQI... you don't want to cook your tank, and unless you live in a consistently cold house, I would recommend a chiller.

yearofthenick

I've been reading about the JBJ one. It's counter-current and uses an air pump.
The RSM skimmer is better because it has an actual pump that mixes the air and water... you get a much cleaner skim out of it... more bubbles.
The only down side is that the RSM is more expensive.

nano-newb1983

The RSM has an awesome protein skimmer... the nano cube doesn't have one at all. If you want to run corals, you'll need a skimmer.
Not true, skimmers wont be needed if you do weekly waterchanges. Been running no skimmer in my nanocube and NEVER had a problem due to lack of skimmer
Also i have heard from other RSM owners that the skimmer sucks for them.. They either replaced it or just took it out
I would get the Nano-Cube over the RSM. RSM over rated IMO

yearofthenick

The RSM's skimmer is temperamental, but the one in the 130D is much better. They redesigned it and fixed most of the flaws altogether in different areas of the 130D. They even talk about it on their website.

coral keeper

Go with the Nano-Cube. I have one and I love it! Also, you DO NOT need a chiller! Just because there is a MH over a tank it doesn't mean you NEED a chiller. What I did is raise the hood with some coralife legs so the hood can be 3 inches away from the water surface and I added a nice fan in the back and never had heat issues.

nano-newb1983

+1 on what coral keeper did..
Also if you decide to go open top like you mentioned and get the sunpod, go to K-mart and get a 6inch clip on fan to blow over the tank like im doing. Since i added the fan tanks temp has been 78/79 degrees 24/7 and its the best $9.99 i spent on my tank so far

bigal0221

Well, to be quite honest I had already ordered the Nano Cube because I was just going to set it on the buffet in my dining room. When I told the wife about it she said absolutely not, so at this point I decided I would need the stand. That is what got me thinking about the RSM but after all of the responses I am going to stick with tht Nano and just order a stand for it. Thanks everyone and I am sure I will be asking for more help along the way. I am new to the SW world and currently have a 125g FOWLR but I really want to try out the reef. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

hondo

Just bought the 28gal HQI Nano Cube last week and set it up this weekend.
skimmer is weak at best and with skimmer in place you can't really open the lid, poor design on their part.
Lights are excellent and you just can't beat the look of halides. Ran it all weekend with 8 hr cycle of lights on and had no problems with water temp rising, don't plan on getting a chiller as if heat problem develops just add a small clip on fan on the back.
Got the free stand with the purchase of the 28gal and the stand is pretty decent.
No experience with the RSM. I would hate to pay more $$ though and not have the Halide lighting.

bigal0221

O.K. I have been reading lots of reviews and it seems that most everyone says that the protein skimmer on the Nano is a bad design. Most have said the skimmer is not any good and that the cup has to be removed to lift the hood. How big of an inconvenience is this? It makes me think about the RSM again.