Nano Size...

reefnut

I have been going back and forth trying to decide on a tank size. I've been looking at the Eclipse System 6 but the Eclipse System 12 has more room for lighting.
What would be a good size for a nano considering the retro lighting available? Is it possable or workable to put MHs over a 6 or 12 gallon nano tank?

ryebread

I would look further into a standard ten gallon tank. The eclipse all-in-one deals are always hard to modify to make better.

zack schwartz

By using a mh as stated before can be hard to put in the 7 gallon, but I have seen it before. Just a problem again could be heat:(

jim27

Watt for watt mh gives off actually less heat that pc's I believe. The heat is nothing a fan couldn't take care of. Why not do an open top tank and suspend an mh pendent over it? Thats what I do with my 18g.

reefnut

Thanks guys, I was looking at some tanks and they have some nice 20g tanks with canopies. I may look into something like that. 175w MH on a 20g would be about right. If not maybe some PCs and soft corals in a smaller tank?

zack schwartz

yea all sounds good. All depends onb what you want and can afford. I have seen super cool nanos with shrooms and zoos and I have seen some really nice sps nanos too!:)

hunterdaddy

I think you are wrong on the MH giving off as much heat as PCs.
I think I remember from doing my research on the lighting that it goes in order from most heat to least
MH
VHO
PC
Correct me if you know im wrong but thats what I remember.

justinx

I have yet to have a heat problem with my tank, all the stats are listed below. I like the VHO over my 20. Gives nice color, not too much heat.
Plus the ballast is mounted inside the canopy, fully enclosed, no fans.

jim27

Originally posted by hunterdaddy
I think you are wrong on the MH giving off as much heat as PCs.
I think I remember from doing my research on the lighting that it goes in order from most heat to least
MH
VHO
PC
Correct me if you know im wrong but thats what I remember.

MH's will give off more heat than PC's most of the time, but thats because they come in such high wattages. 400 watts of PC lighting would heat up a tank more than 400 watts of MH. Also the fact that MH is a point source makes them seem hotter, all the heat is coming from one spot instead of over a long tube.

overanalyzer

I'd have to agree with JustinX - go witha 20 and put 150Watts of VHO over the tank. No heating isseus (My ballast is mounted externally) and it is extremely bright. I am thinking of adding a squamosa.
It is so bright that several of my ricordeas I put near the top started getting sun burned and I have moved them to shaded areas ... that is after an acclimation period to the lights......
if you want to do a MH light I would do a pendant light over hte top

What is a pendant light? A light hanging from above, right? Not mounted on the hood.
I have no hood, and I have no plans on constructing one, so I guess I would get a "pendant" right? Or make my own probably? What do ya think?

overanalyzer

yup a pendant hangs from above - and it would work well- one fothe LFS's in the area has one that is adjustable up and down ... very sweet .....I'd see what they costto buy a unit withthe reflector and everything .... there is one guy who made a pendant out of a mailbox .....

chevytrks

i have 2 -24 inch vho over my 20 long also
i have 2 clams in there doing well also
i did have the idea of switching out one of my vho for a 70 watt hqi mh with a single exhaust fan

larsson

Originally posted by blueface
My 12 gallon came w/ pc's already furnished. Nice set up wish I had a cam to show it off.

What brand was it? I haven't seen a tank for sale as a combo with PC lighting.