Naso Tang In 75

First let me say if all you have to do is be Tang police then don't bother. I was looking to see how long a small Blonde Naso Tang would last in a 75 gallon long. My local club said they would take it and put it in their 800 gallon aquarium later if I wanted to trade it in. I know they can get big but how long does it take them to grow as I know some fish grow quicker than others.

aduvall

My understanding is they can grow 3-5 inches in a year if they are fed well and healthy. They are quick growers and can hit a foot within 2-3 years.

trigger40

i'd say maybe a year. but may i suggest a tang that can live its entire life in a 75, like a yellow or kole tang.

jay0705

Its not just that u will have to move it. Tangs by nature can be aggressive, cramp them and they will thin out your tank so they have room. Naso already are one of the more aggressive

Ok I was under the understanding that Nasos are very passive. As of right now I'm not looking at one in particular. If I want one I would ask my fish club to order the smallest one they can get.

jay0705

Naso isn't as bad as an adult purple or clown tang but there not as passive as a hippo or brittle tooth

geridoc

I always think that it is a very bad idea to add a fish to a system with the intention of moving it to a larger tank later, since this usually involves removing all of the rock and stirring up the substrate as you vainly try to capture the fish.

Ok so another question, any chance of making this the show fish of the tank and keeping him? I've never seen at any lps a Naso getting a foot long. Just a question.

aduvall

I'd be shocked if a Blonde Naso stay healthy in a 75 for very long... 6-8 inches is pretty much the Juvenile size for these guys and then it's a slow growth to 12. Most top out between 12-14 but can get to 16-18 (not often but possible).

bang guy

I have seen Naso's in 55 and 75 gallon tanks. They act erratic, like a caged lion. My opinion is that they are very stressed. Stressed fish don't live long in a captive environment. This is consistent with most open water type fish. It's not necessarily the size of the fish, it's the swimming habbits and most Tangs need room to swim even at three or four inches.

I'm just going to say I've seen people say you can't keep a powder blue in a 75 but I successfully kept one in a 75 for a year and a half until I didn't have the time to take care of it so I gave it to my local club. I actually have successfully kept 2 powder blues (at different times) and cant keep a blue hippo. I think the blue hippos are far more skiddish then powder blues and I think that's why I was able to keep them. With that being said I know it is listed nasos need a way bigger tank then powder blues.

snakeblitz33

My experiences have been the same as Bang Guy's. I also can relate to GeriDoc's assessment of tearing apart the aquarium.

I personally wouldn't do it.