Nassarious snail reproduction

nacl-h2o

I know some snails eggs will mature in high numbers into adults are True Atlantic Nassarious Snails one of those that will have high numbers survive or will they all become coral food?
I have Nassarious laying eggs left and right there must be hundreds of them on the glass now.
Free coral food or free snails, it's a no loose situation, but I would still like to know. Thanks :)

olsenjb

I wish I knew because I am facing the same thing. One day nothing, and the next day I have hundreds of eggs stuck to the glass. I have been seeing quite a few babies at night on the glass after the lights go out...but nowhere near in comparison to the numbers of eggs. So, I really don't know how successful they are at reaching maturity.

jonthefb

im in the same boat as you guys, except with cerith snails. they lay tons of egg clutches, and i have tons of babies in the tank, but nowhere near the number of eggs that are laid. from what i understand from bang guy and several other members, after their mature inthe eggs, the eggs hatch and the larvae become planktonic, meaning that they float up to the top of the tank (in the ocean theyd be in a layer of plankton) where they mature until they drop back down to the substrate. so im sure a good deal of them get eaten, skimmed out, etc, but not sure on how to get around this, and i cant get a straigh answer out of anyone about their life cycle.
anyways, good luck guys
jon

bang guy

Hi Dan,
Nassarious Snail Larve have a very long feeding planktonic period. This makes them poor candidates for survival in an aquarium.
I have a 64 square foot refugium and I've not seen any baby Nassarious.