Nassarius snails

gypsie32

Can anyone tell me if Nassarius snails are small, my lfs has them for 1.39 each and they are very tiny. He said all the nass snails are tiny..I need them for my sand bed, just wondering how effective they will be being that tiny. Thanks

nas19320

Mine are really small but they can really move. As soon as food hits the water they rise up out of the sand.

gypsie32

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting ripped. I dont have any fish in my tank yet, just diatom algae, will the nassarius snails eat on that for now or do I need to go get other food. Thanks

gypsie32

I put the peanut size nass snails in my tank and they really do go, as soon as they hit the sand bed they were running! I only bought 10, I think I will go get another dozen.

bang guy

Careful with the quantities. They only can eat carrion, not detritus. If you don't have enough leftover fish food they starve fairly quick. Otherwise they are great snails and useful too!

foxthorn

If you're looking for a snail to clean up detritus and algae on the sand bed look for Cerith Snails. I added 8 of these to my 90 last week and I can't believe how fast they have cleaned things up - really amazing.

yeah i figure low numbers..i don't want them to destroy all the algae...though i'd like the detritus to be clean up a little more
Cheers