NCAAF Nat'l Championship

reefraff

The SEC is NOTHING SPECIAL. Their hype about the level of competition being above all other conferences was crushed yet again this year in the bowl games. Out of 7 wins 2 were by more than a touchdown. If the mighty SEC was the all superior conference don't you suppose they could prove it by maybe, I dunno, proving it on the field of play in games against other conferences. With the exception of the Kentucky/Florida State game every win the SEC got was in a home team setting. Auburn won by 3 in OT. Tenn got by Wisconsin by 4. Kentucky couldn't put florida state away despite the fact Florida state lost over 30 players and 15 were either full time or platooned starters. Yep, just sooo much better.

liverock27

The SEC is 13-5 the last two years in bowl games with 2 National championships. The SEC is 9-4 in BCS games with 4 National Championships by three different teams. If you want to see some more proff they are a good conf.
BSC Bowl Games:
'98 UF by 21 over Syracuse
'01 UF by 23 over Maryland
'06 LSU by 27 over ND
'06 UF by 27 over Ohio St.
'07 UGA by 31 over Hawaii
'07 LSU by 14 over Ohio St.
They won two other games by 13 and one by 3. Their biggest BCS losts were by 13 and 10 and they lost two games by 3(one was in OT).

liverock27

Reefraff, I am not sure how you can not say the SEC is the best football confrence, but keep on giving us stats about how bad they are and I am sure we can find even more things to prove you wrong.

rylan1

Originally Posted by LiveRock27
The SEC is 13-5 the last two years in bowl games with 2 National championships. The SEC is 9-4 in BCS games with 4 National Championships by three different teams. If you want to see some more proff they are a good conf.
BSC Bowl Games:
'98 UF by 21 over Syracuse
'01 UF by 23 over Maryland
'06 LSU by 27 over ND
'06 UF by 27 over Ohio St.
'07 UGA by 31 over Hawaii
'07 LSU by 14 over Ohio St.
They won two other games by 13 and one by 3. Their biggest BCS losts were by 13 and 10 and they lost two games by 3(one was in OT).
oF COURSE THEY ARE A GREAT CONFERENCE.
OHIO STATE HAS BEEN IN BCS BOWLS THE LAST 5 Of 7 YEARS. I could careless about the conference as long as my teams is there.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Rylan1
OHIO STATE HAS BEEN IN BCS BOWLS THE LAST 5 Of 7 YEARS. I could careless about the conference as long as my teams is there.
The Buffalo Bills went to 4 straight super bowls... not that there's any similarity or anything....

liverock27

You've got a great program up there Ryan1. They can compete with any team in the nation year in and year out. I'm just trying to show some others that the SEC hasn't fallen off or is over rated.

pontius

Originally Posted by Rylan1
yeah, and then when they get there-at least against SEC teams-they show the world that they don't belong on the same field.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by TriggerPhish
Ohio State hasnt had a bye week in 2 or 3 seasons.
Haven't had a bye week?!?!?! C'mon, Ohio St's Freshmen could beat Youngstown St, and their second teams could beat Kent St. and Akron!!

rbrockm1

everybody is fighting over a bunch of college kids. who cares. every conference has its rough spots and every conference will have a down year.

reefraff

Reefraff, I am not sure how you can not say the SEC is the best football confrence, but keep on giving us stats about how bad they are and I am sure we can find even more things to prove you wrong.
If your going to go by just the raw results the Mountain West Conference was best this year at 4-1, higher winning percentage.
Arkansas gets killed by Missouri, Kentucky just barely beats Florida State after State lost over 30 players including 15 full or part time starters, Auburn wins by three in Overtime, Tennessee wins by 4 points, Florida gets outplayed by Michigan, Miss State beats Central Florida by 7 and bama beat Colorado by 6. Considering all but 1 of those game were considered a home field setting for the SEC team how do you see that as showing they are a superior conference? If they were such a great conference, so much better than the rest that the teams must import 3 or 4 rent a victims every year to make it even with other conferences don't you suppose they would show it on the field?
Wining by a touchdown or less in all but 2 bowl victories is a good perfomance but hardly a sign of the dominant super conference its made out to be. Nature of the beast is SEC teams tend to have the home field advantage in the bowl games, all but one this year were played where the SEC was on it's home turf. Had Tennessee, bama, Kentucky, Miss State and Auburn played their games in hostil settings would they have still won? The scores of those games were close enough home field advantage very well could have been the difference in the games.
Last year I thought the SEC did show they were better than the rest despite having a worse bowl record than this year. Nuts you say, They had more competative matchups last year. Arkansas played right with Wisky who was probably the best team in the Big 10, Bama could only beat Vany and Ole miss in the SEC but they were able to sneak past Ok State, a decent big 12 team, and Auburn (who had a couple of lucky wins and lived kinda a charmed life in the SEC which made them look a lot better on paper than they really were) was able to beat a pretty good Nebraska team. Tennessee, yeah they got schooled. Georgia Florida and LSU all Kicked butt.

liverock27

I will agree that last year might have been a better year for the SEC. About the bowl game settings. Bowls like to have teams that travel well or are close to the bowl site. The best way to make sure you have a butt in every seat is to have teams from close by. Another reason why SEC teams played alot of games in SEC states is because 14 of the 32 bowl games were played in SEC states.

liverock27

and you can't blaim UGA for playing in the Sugar bowl. Blaim the Rose Bowl selection committe for staying with tradition and putting an Ill. team, that didn't deserve to be in a BCS bowl game in the first place, in the "granddaddy of them all". If it were up to UGA fans we would have been out in the Rose Bowl with USC. Who wouldn't have wanted to see two of the hottest teams in the land play each other? Might not have been for first place this year, but the winner would have probably been number 1 in the preseason poll. Is anyone as sick of the preseason polls coming out as early as they do as I am?

reefraff

I will agree that last year might have been a better year for the SEC. About the bowl game settings. Bowls like to have teams that travel well or are close to the bowl site. The best way to make sure you have a butt in every seat is to have teams from close by. Another reason why SEC teams played alot of games in SEC states is because 14 of the 32 bowl games were played in SEC states.
Thats what I meant by nature of the beast. I think they should maybe take advantage of some of the domed stadiums and spread the wealth a little by moving some bowls up north.

reefraff

and you can't blaim UGA for playing in the Sugar bowl. Blaim the Rose Bowl selection committe for staying with tradition and putting an Ill. team, that didn't deserve to be in a BCS bowl game in the first place, in the "granddaddy of them all". If it were up to UGA fans we would have been out in the Rose Bowl with USC. Who wouldn't have wanted to see two of the hottest teams in the land play each other? Might not have been for first place this year, but the winner would have probably been number 1 in the preseason poll. Is anyone as sick of the preseason polls coming out as early as they do as I am?
Hey the SC fans felt the same way. I am sure there was a lot of pressure (and a hefty payoff I am sure) from the BCS for the Rosebowl not taking Georgia. That game would have easily overshadowed the NC game. SC or Georgia one will likely be number 1 preseason anyway. Gota figure SC, Georgia, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma are all going to be rated high. Oklahoma is going to be flat nasty next year.

liverock27

The Gators are going to have a sick backfield with Tebow, Harvin and USC transfer Emmanuel Moody.
Oklahoma is also returning most of their Offense. Just got to hope their D plays a little better than they did in the bowl game.