NEED A NEW SKIMMER. Help me pick the best one.

eaglephot

I am on the search for a new skimmer. I have around $350 to spend on an out of sump skimmer. What should I buy? What will give me the best performance?
Here is what I have...
135 gallon reef
150-200 lb LR
100-150 lb LS
7" Blonde Naso
6" Blue Tang
True Percula Clown
Yellow Coris (x2)
Royal Gramma
Bangii Cardinal
TONS of leathers all shapes and sizes
Many LPS
Zoos and polyps
Crabs, stars (x3)
Cleaner Shrimp (x3)
Magnum 350 w/ bio wheel (x2)
Hang on Overflow (x2) with 20H sump and hang on refuge
What is the best skimmer for my system?
Thanks so much!

eaglephot

If it MUST be in sump, that is OK. It can't be any bigger than 6" x 8" x 25-1/2" high which is how big the skimmer is that I have now (Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel.)

Do you need new carpet and drywall? If so the coralife skimmer will do that for you when it over flows and siphons all over your floor. Coralife just settled with me on almost $5000 worth of damages. It was alarming what the tech person told me when I asked why it would do this. He said it happens all the time for many reasons. Usually it happens when a part breaks on the needle wheel. The part usually breaks after about 6 -8 months.

clayton805

IM VERY HAPPY W/ MY AQUA C EV120. IT PULLS TONS OF GUNK FROM MY FOWLR AND ITS PRETTY COMPACT. THEY MAKE A LARGER VERSION FOR YOUR TANK THAT IS - 20" tall - 5.75" x 9" footprint (not including pump). ITS QUIET, EFFICIENT AND REASONABLY PRICED. CHECK 'EM OUT AT WWW.PROTEINSKIMMER.COM.

clayton805

I Had An Asm Mini-g. In Fact I Had Two Of Them. Pump Went Out On The First One About 5 Days After I Got It. So I Sent It Back And They Sent Me A Replacement. Pump On That One Went Out About 8 Days Later. Some People Say Theyre Ok, But I Wasn't Pleased.

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by Pjlovesbaskets
http:///forum/post/2765494
Do you need new carpet and drywall? If so the coralife skimmer will do that for you when it over flows and siphons all over your floor. Coralife just settled with me on almost $5000 worth of damages. It was alarming what the tech person told me when I asked why it would do this. He said it happens all the time for many reasons. Usually it happens when a part breaks on the needle wheel. The part usually breaks after about 6 -8 months.
Was your coralife skimmer one that is out of water. I know of a LFS that had one and it over flowwed all over the place. He had to close for several days of repairs. I have a corallife in sump skimmer ( rated for a 150 gallon tank ) but am not happy with it. I am also in the market for a new skimmer. I was looking at the C-skim 1200 from Red Sea. Supposed to be a new technology. Anyone know anything about them ?

a sea k

Don't know if they meet your price point and I don't personally own one but the DAS EX-1 or EX-2 externals are reportedly a very good performing skimmer for their price.

darren0311

The Corallife superskimmer w/ the Needlewheel and alot of people might laugh but I have had alot of sucess with New Marinland In sump compact skimmer, rated to 150 gal, it works fantastic, and Now expensive as most.

spiderwoman

If you are going to look at ASM, go with G3. Another few good ones are H&S that might just fit in your budget, but it would be insump, the out of sump is more expensive.

al mc

Originally Posted by Eaglephot
http:///forum/post/2767089
From what I found, most people who have them really like them. I bought a G2. Thanks for all of the advice! :)
I have run several different sized ASMs and always been happy with them. I think you will be happy with your choice. When I first got into the hobby I used a coralife and found it to be very finicky with the settings..always had to 'tweak' it.

eaglephot

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/2768087
When I first got into the hobby I used a coralife and found it to be very finicky with the settings..always had to 'tweak' it.
That is what was wrong with mine! I thought I was doing something wrong. Glad to hear about the skimmer! I can't wait to put it in my sump!

gasguzzler

If you think noise might be a problem, they offer a recirc mod that not only improves efficiency and contact time but really cuts down on return noise. Its like $30. Just a thought.

eaglephot

Originally Posted by gasguzzler
http:///forum/post/2768175
If you think noise might be a problem, they offer a recirc mod that not only improves efficiency and contact time but really cuts down on return noise. Its like $30. Just a thought.
I am glad to hear that it is good! I was looking at that mod. I will have to get it. :)

R

rcreations

I absolutely HATE AquaC skimmers. Even if you sneeze around them, they stop skimming. I had an AquaC EV240 and every time I fed my tank it stopped skimming for hours! Yea, every skimmer stops working while feeding but only for a little while, not 3 or 4 hours. And since I feed 2 - 3 times a day, that skimmer only worked at night basically. Piece of junk if you ask me. Not to mention it was a paint in the butt to clean the neck every week, since only the cup comes off. Also have one of the HOB AquaC skimmers for my small tank. Same thing and this one makes micro bubble like crazy. I will never buy an Aqua C skimmer EVER again.
Now for the good skimmers... I've had an Euro Reef and that was awesome! Worked like a champ! Now I have an Octopus for my big tank and am very happy with it.