Need a QT

kkgaskin90

I've been spending hours on this forum since Sunday when we bought/setup our tank. Now I am realizing we need a QT, which I had NO idea about so I have nothing in that regard. Here is what I think I need (wanted to go get it today, so it could cycle with the big tank-just want someone to tell me if it's correct or not:
10g tank (main tank is 29g...should I do a 5g quarantine instead?)
Heater
Aeration
Lighting
Thermometer
Filter (? some of the things I read said don't use a filter, just do 10% change ever day?)-what kind if so?
PVC
Do I add water from the big setup or use some of the "new water" I still have in jugs?
I also read to take the sponge out of a filter and put it in Th.e big system to gain some of the beneficial bacteria-yes?
How often should I do water changes (if not the daily 10%)?
Anything else? Any suggestions?
Here is a list of my main setup:
Coralife BioCube 29 Gallon Aquarium on stand
36 Watt Actinic Blue Straight Pin
36 Watt 10,000K Daylight Straight Pin
0.75 Watt Lunar Blue LED Bar
Extra receptors for 4 additional LED Bars
Cooling Fans: 60mm, 15.83 CFM, 25.5 Db
Pump Flow Rate: 264 gph (1000 L/H)
22 pounds live rock
30 pounds Fiji Pink live sand
Filled with RO water from local store
ahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250); ">
Deep Six Hydrometer
Coralife BioCube Protein Skimmer (for BioCube 29) - not added yet, I was told to wait until I put fish in
Continuum Aquatics Parts A and B Reef Sculpture
Continuum Aquatics Reef Basis Kalkwasser
Here is the picture of the setup: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48795933@N03/9009942734/

btldreef

Go with a 10g if you can.
Lighting isn't necessary for fish
A little hang on the back filter would be perfect. Get one rated for a 20G tank.
Paint the bottom and back if the tank.
You can start it with some water from your main tank, but it's not necessary. Personally, I do not mix the waters.
The sponge idea is a wise one. It does help a lot.

mr llimpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgaskin90 http:///t/395696/need-a-qt#post_3523520
I've been spending hours on this forum since Sunday when we bought/setup our tank. Now I am realizing we need a QT, which I had NO idea about so I have nothing in that regard. Here is what I think I need (wanted to go get it today, so it could cycle with the big tank-just want someone to tell me if it's correct or not:
10g tank (main tank is 29g...should I do a 5g quarantine instead?)10 gal
Heater
Aeration filter you decide to use will work
Lighting nothing fancy
Thermometer
Filter (? some of the things I read said don't use a filter, just do 10% change ever day?)-what kind if so? sponge filter or HOB (suggest 20gal one) The sponge or media could be cycled in DT at same time you cycle DT.
PVC
Do I add water from the big setup or use some of the "new water" new water I still have in jugs?
I also read to take the sponge out of a filter and put it in Th.e big system to gain some of the beneficial bacteria-yes?
How often should I do water changes (if not the daily 10%)? Same as DT
Anything else? Any suggestions? paint out side bottom of tank black(this will help fish to eat without getting disorraited, bottle of Amquel+ or Prime on hand, during QT a new fish always have fresh batch of water ready, have a verity of food specially the one that it ate in the LFS (even if it was brian shrimp).
Here is a list of my main setup:
Coralife BioCube 29 Gallon Aquarium on stand
36 Watt Actinic Blue Straight Pin
36 Watt 10,000K Daylight Straight Pin
0.75 Watt Lunar Blue LED Bar
Extra receptors for 4 additional LED Bars
Cooling Fans: 60mm, 15.83 CFM, 25.5 Db
serif">
Pump Flow Rate: 264 gph (1000 L/H)
22 pounds live rock
30 pounds Fiji Pink live sand
Filled with RO water from local store
Deep Six Hydrometer
Coralife BioCube Protein Skimmer (for BioCube 29) - not added yet, I was told to wait until I put fish in
Looks good, get rid of Deep Six Hydromter use a refractormeter. Have you cycled tank yet?
Continuum Aquatics Parts A and B Reef Sculpture
Continuum Aquatics Reef Basis Kalkwasser
Here is the picture of the setup: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48795933@N03/9009942734/

mr llimpid

Just looked at your tank nice rock work. Are they setting on the bottom of your tank or on the sand? You want them on the tank bottom.

kkgaskin90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr LLimpid http:///t/395696/need-a-qt#post_3523526
Looks good, get rid of Deep Six Hydromter use a refractormeter. Have you cycled tank yet?
Just looked at your tank nice rock work. Are they setting on the bottom of your tank or on the sand? You want them on the tank bottom.
I just set up the tank on Sunday (6-9-13)-so no, this is my first experience with Saltwater so I'm trying to make sure I do it right and avoid as many mistakes as possible :)
The rocks were originally sitting on the sand (probably still were on the sand in the pic) but I have since put them on the bottom-same rock setup though.
When you say the sponge or media can by cycled in the DT at the same time, that is just something I can take out of the HOB filter for the QT, right?
Thanks so much for all the help!

mr llimpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgaskin90 http:///t/395696/need-a-qt#post_3523530
I just set up the tank on Sunday (6-9-13)-so no, this is my first experience with Saltwater so I'm trying to make sure I do it right and avoid as many mistakes as possible :)
The rocks were originally sitting on the sand (probably still were on the sand in the pic) but I have since put them on the bottom-same rock setup though.
When you say the sponge or media can by cycled in the DT at the same time, that is just something I can take out of the HOB filter for the QT, right? most HOB have a carbon filter you don't want that(carbon removes meds) I suggest using a plastic scrub brush (the kind you use for dishes, with no soap kind) or sponge material.
Thanks so much for all the help!

kkgaskin90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr LLimpid http:///t/395696/need-a-qt#post_3523543
most HOB have a carbon filter you don't want that(carbon removes meds) I suggest using a plastic scrub brush (the kind you use for dishes, with no soap kind) or sponge material.
So I should take the carbon filter out completely? Or just don't use it to collect good bacteria but keep it in the qt filter??

mr llimpid

Don't use carbon at all in QT. Carbon dosen't support bacteria growth, per say, it will remove organics, meds and other matter.

kkgaskin90

Got the QT all set up and placed a sponge in my DT... Since neither have cycled will it be ok to place sponge into QT once DT has cycled and go ahead with first fish (as long as water test is ok)? I feel like Im just running water through the QT...should I place anything in the tank to make it cycle?

mr llimpid

you are correct the QT is just a tank of water, you really don't need to have it running now. The sponge is were the bacteria is growing. How are you cycling the DT, with raw shrimp? Do you have all the test kits?

kkgaskin90

you are correct the QT is just a tank of water, you really don't need to have it running now. The sponge is were the bacteria is growing. How are you cycling the DT, with raw shrimp? Do you have all the test kits?
Oh goodness... My cluelessness is showing. I was told (by the LFS) that the LR and LS would provide biological matter to cycle the DT so I haven't added anything else.
Just left LFS for the 5th day in a row...she told me NOT to quarantine (don't worry, not taking that advice) and that the QT wont ever cycle, just start putting fish in it :/
I just got a test kit...she told me it was a waste of money, I should just bring them my
water to test...BUT Im a control freak so that wont happen. Mine tests for Calcium, Carbonate Hardness, Phosphate, and Nitrate...it's a API Reef Master Test kit ..unopened in case ya'll say its no good :)
I "ghost fed" the QT thinking that would help it cycle...did I screw up?

mr llimpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgaskin90 http:///t/395696/need-a-qt#post_3523660
Oh goodness... My cluelessness is showing. I was told (by the LFS) that the LR and LS would provide biological matter to cycle the DT so I haven't added anything else. Bacteria live on them but needs food to reproduce, thus the raw shrimp (food source)
Just left LFS for the 5th day in a row...she told me NOT to quarantine (don't worry, not taking that advice) and that the QT wont ever cycle, just start putting fish in it :/ sorry they want to sell you fish, if they die then will sell you another. Ask them if they QT there fish? If not you should.
I just got a test kit...she told me it was a waste of money, I should just bring them my
water to test...BUT Im a control freak so that wont happen. Mine tests for Calcium, Carbonate Hardness, Phosphate, and Nitrate...it's a API Reef Master Test kit ..unopened in case ya'll say its no good :) Those are good, also needed are ammonia and PH
I "ghost fed" the QT thinking that would help it cycle...did I screw up? No ghost feeding will keep the bacteria you already have a live, it will not promote growth, added food source so that ammonia spikes at 1.0 will promote new growth. Basically you want to add a raw shrimp, test your ammonia when it hits 1.0 pull it out, place shrimp in a toe of a old stocking tied with rubber band. Trust me if you don't put in stocking it will be a mess to get out of tank.

kkgaskin90

IQuote:
Originally Posted by Mr LLimpid http:///t/395696/need-a-qt#post_3523676Ask them if they QT there fish? I'm 99% sure they don't, but I will double check. There is one associate there I trust, but the rest seem uneducated. Those are good, also needed are ammonia and PH I knew I was forgetting something...I even went for specifically ammonia and walked out without it. Darn those distracting pretty fish! No ghost feeding will keep the bacteria you already have a live, it will not promote growth, added food source so that ammonia spikes at 1.0 will promote new growth. Basically you want to add a raw shrimp, test your ammonia when it hits 1.0 pull it out, place shrimp in a toe of a old stocking tied with rubber band. Trust me if you don't put in stocking it will be a mess to get out of tank. So go get 1 raw shrimp for DT and 1 for QT...remove when ammonia spikes to 1.0-got it! Thank you!
Also, they recommended a CUC a week or so in to cycling...how can I tell the tank is ready for a CUC and do they need to be quarantined?

mr llimpid

CUC is need once there is something to clean up, no fish nothing to clean up. Or if there is a lot of algae growth and in a fish only tank there are other ways to control algae growth. Are you going fish only or with coral?

kkgaskin90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr LLimpid http:///t/395696/need-a-qt#post_3523682
CUC is need once there is something to clean up, no fish nothing to clean up. Or if there is a lot of algae growth and in a fish only tank there are other ways to control algae growth. Are you going fish only or with coral? Eventually Coral-but not until the tank is well established.
We planned on starting with a pair of clownfish (they have them already paired at the LFS) - so in that case would we do the fish and CUC at the same time? one before the other? does the CUC need to be quarantined too?

btldreef

I have "cycled" smaller tanks, such as the bio cube" with nothing more than live rock and sand. And there are LFS's that suggest doing it that way, but ghost feeding or using a shrimp is a smart idea.
I actually do run carbon on my QT and its running full time, even when no fish are in it. This way, the tank is always ready to go. If I need medications, then I remove the carbon. But for hypo salinity treatments and just observations, I run with carbon. The sponge in the DT is a great way to jump start the QT, but once it's in the QT, you don't want it back in the main tank, this the main reson I just keep the QT running. That, and I have a million tanks and fish. Lol

mr llimpid

To answer your question about CUC. Fish B4 CUC, do not QT fish with inverts, most treatment for fish will kill inverts. QT CUC only if LFS houses fish in with them, then I would just leave them in fishless system for 6 weeks, then they would be fine to go into DT.

K

katorr

Should the first fish be quarantined since it will be the only thing in the tank? I would like to get a pair of clownfish as my first residents in my 75 gallon tank... As soon as I am sure that it has cycled.