Need advice...20g long sump, need skimmer for it...what one fits?

here is the story, 90g reef tank on a stand with 20g LONG tank below it. I need a skimmer that will fit into the stand, can access the cup, and can work in a water level of only 9 inches. 20g long tanks footprint is 12H x 12W x 30L. The inside of the stand has a maximum of 26 inches.
looking for price level below $300.00
skimmer can be either HOB or in-sump
ive been looking at remora pro, octo 100, and a few other but i can't really find out if they will work only 9 inches of water. So if anyone has any advice on this, please post.

geoj

Put this on a three inch skimm stand so it is in 6 inches of water an it will fit, tight but it works for me

Super Reef Octopus
XP 1000SSS CONE
Protein Skimmer 20 inches tall

PS-OCT-XP1000SSS

$294.95

geoj

PS: with that name you are going to need a better avatar, how about this one...

thank you for the advice im looking into that one now. Someone else also mentioned the aquac urchin, what do you think about that skimmer? it's a bit cheaper but the reviews are pretty good for it.
ps. i took your advice and have used that image hah

geoj

I have not used the aquac urchin, it is a bit older than the Octopus I recommend. The Octopus cone skimmer is worth the money because it's newer design works better. Both skimmers are good for there classes, but I think if you can get a the Octopus cone skimmer you will be happy.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/385496/need-advice-20g-long-sump-need-skimmer-for-it-what-one-fits#post_3381141
I have not used the aquac urchin, it is a bit older than the Octopus I recommend. The Octopus cone skimmer is worth the money because it's newer design works better. Both skimmers are good for there classes, but I think if you can get a the Octopus cone skimmer you will be happy.
+1 on the Octopus....that one is a really good one from some research I had done, and also from a lor of reviews I read

al&burke

I just got a SWC 160 small foot print works great.
Xtreme 180 conical protein skimmer.
The ORIGINAL Xtreme protein skimmer! Comes with a Sicce psk 2500 pump.
An integrated removable bubble plate to help reduce turbulence within the protein skimmer.
Fully disassemble, due to the removable base plate.
Perfectly balenced body and neck.
Adjustable air intake for fine air flow adjustment.
Gate valve pipe output allows you to adjust the skimmer and have precision control of the water level.
Custom pin wheel impeller. 900-1100 lph of air pull using custom impeller. Air number will vary depending on aquarium set up and testing methods.
These are real numbers not hyped numbers. Draws less than 25 watts of electricity per pump.Quick release neck on the collection cup - requires 1/2 inch of clearance to remove the cup.
In sump skimmers only.
Recommended water depth 7-9 inches.
Foot Print:
LxWxH in inches
9*8*21

nikesb

my vote is for the swc180 over the reef octopus. i have an swc150bmk and the swc skimmers are beasts for their price. even a 160 with the new mod from Luke would be good for your setup.