Need Anemone Expert!!!

ntank20

I have an anemone in my tank, he is doing good so far and eats every time I feed him. This is my first one so I am pretty clueless. He is supposed to be an green orange tipped sebae. I was wondering is it bad if my current rips him off the rock he is perched on and sends him flying around my tank. Will he reattach himself? the guy at the store is fet up with me calling and asking questions, all he will tell me is that if the anemone doesn't like where he is, he will let go of the rock and find somewhere better. He said he might even go behing my rock, which would be impossible because my rocks are proped up against my back wall. I just don't anything bad to happen to it. Also is it normal for when the anemone spits out the silverside, after he has chewed on it awhile, for it to look almost exactly like it did when he swallowed it. Does it just suck the nutrients out of it. Any advice and answers to my questions would be great. Thanks

l.i. geo

The Anemone Will Eventually Find A Spot He Likes And Latch On, Just Let Him Be. He'll Find One, The Lfs Guy Is Right!!!!!!!

ntank20

oh ok. thanks. I just get really worried about stuff. like i said, I just don't want anything bad to happen to it. just worries me a little that's all

ntank20

here's a pic of my new anemone. It's not a great pic but it will have to do for now. Just wanted to share!

tank watch

start it off in a low flow area. you want to make sure he can attach, that it has a good foot. sometimes when they are removed from a rock or natural area their foot gets torn. if he can attach he should find his spot. mine moves every other month it seems. try smaller foods like mysis shrimp, etc.

kmc

Not to Hijack the thread but I'm having the same problem with mine. He's been in for less than a week but I have yet to see his foot. My main concern is when the current flips him over face down. Should I turn him back over or can he right himself? The other question I have is that I read that they llike to plant their foot in the sand. So do they generally stay on the bottom or will/can they climb rocks? Mine is also a sebae but with purple tips.
Thanks

E

emeralcrab

From my experience and reading about them, they like to attach to a rock not sand. Sand I don't think gives them enough stablity.
When I first put one in my 55g, it moved back behind rock for ever, I had to add more rock so did have to move it. Lucky for me it has stayed where I put it now for 4 months. It was attached to what I thought was the sand bed, but it was actually attached to the bottom of the tank. It had worked its foot down.
And they can right themselves. I freaked out also, but sat and watched and mine righted its self and off it crawled.

hot883

Hopefully the tanks have been set up for mostly a year and that you have metal halides for these anemones.

reef diver

Yes, and also, in the pic your anemone looks like it has good color though. Sebaes like it near or on sand, but do not move them!. If neccesary, when it is floating, turn off your current for a couple HRs to let it settle.

ntank20

He has been in my tank now for over a week. I turned the current off of him and he kinda deflated and started to put the brown slimy thing out of his mouth, but when I put it back on him he started to liven up again. The bad thing was my current was only coming strong from one direction. See I have one powerhead flowing to the surface and the other flowing across the tank. The one kinda pulled him off the rock so I turned the powerhead so that it was barley blowing him. Now I have bought another ph that sits above and behind him so that it blows against the glass and bounces back and hits his front. he seems to like that ok, because the full force of the ph isn't blowing strait on him. Now I hope he will be doing better. And no I do not have MH on him. My lfs guy told me he would be fine with the lights I have. I want to upgrade to the sunpod MH system by current but I don't have the $$$ right now. Also with MH I will have to buy a chiller system because the way my room stays. Right now my tank is ok because it is winter but I will be getting a chiller by summer.

ntank20

I will try to feed him some mysis shrimp tomorrow. Also, when I feed him should I leave all of my flow going or should I turn it off. Hard to feed mysis with it going.

ntank20

I need some advice. My current just blew my anemone off the rock he was on. He is now wedged between two rocks. Should I leave him alone and let him find his own place or should I try and move him somewhere. I have noticed that on is footing there are white pebbles or something, maybe that is why he could never get a good grip in my tank. What should I do!?!

E

emeralcrab

If it were me, I would leave it alone. They will find a spot they like. I had to laugh at one of my sebae's, when I had to move it because I was adding a bunch more live rock, I put it about half way up the rock in a deep crevice, well he has a mind of its own. So later that day I watched it move down the rock, then to the left, back up again and then right back where I had put it.
Reminded me of my son, has to do it their own way.
Don't worry about the pebbles on their underside, it fine.
Good luck.

ntank20

ok. Now he is on his side down on the sand. He has started to put out his mouth like when he is stressed. What should I do? I guess I should leave him alone, I just don't want him to die. The thing is I don't even know if he is a sebae. Just because the lfs guy said he was doesn't mean it is so. His tentacles extend farther than the pics show the sebaes. Sorry for all the questions. I am just really worried. Thanks

24aqua

first you should have read up on how to care for the anemone!! mouth out is not good.what are your parameters?lighting?tank size?info...info...

ntank20

according to the people I bought it from everything is good. All my parameters are good, my lighting is good and my tank size is a 45 gallon. He doesn't have the white thing out anymore. Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. But my question is since he is laying on his side on the bottom of the tank, he won't attach to anything but he fully inflated looking good. But should I try and move him to put him on a rock or something or should I just leave him and let him do his own thing, also should I turn my current on or leave it off. Please someone answer this question, and if fact I did read up on it and I followed every instruction I was given when I bought the anemone to a T. I just need someones oppinion.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by NTank20
according to the people I bought it from everything is good. All my parameters are good, my lighting is good and my tank size is a 45 gallon. He doesn't have the white thing out anymore. Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. But my question is since he is laying on his side on the bottom of the tank, he won't attach to anything but he fully inflated looking good. But should I try and move him to put him on a rock or something or should I just leave him and let him do his own thing, also should I turn my current on or leave it off. Please someone answer this question, and if fact I did read up on it and I followed every instruction I was given when I bought the anemone to a T. I just need someones oppinion.
Specifics... sometimes what the pet store says is good and actually good are two different things.
What kind of lights do you have?
How long has tank been up?
What is salinity?
ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
Skimmer?
Substrate?
size of tank?

E

emeralcrab

Everyone that has answered has given you advise. LEAVE it be, they can right themselves, they can walk around, they will find where they want to be. Just make sure your power heads intakes are covered so it wont get sucked up if it goes to close.
Listen and re read what people have already posted. I know it is hard to sit and wait, I freaked the same way, I just had to walk away and let it do its thing. If all of your water parameters are where they are suppose to be then just sit back and leave it alone. There isn't much else you can do. By moving it around and keep touching and bugging it you are going to STRESS it our more and more. Please for the anemone's sake leave it be.