Need Filtration Advice... Filter is breaking.

cableguy

Sorry for all of the questions lately but I just dont want to buy something and then regret I spent 200 bucks in a couple of months on the wrong thing. I know you are all very helpful and smart and will point me in the right direction.
So my canister filter started to leak last night
- So I need a new filtration system. Any suggestions?
Another canister or a sump or wet/dry or ?? I need to read about what exactly a sump is because after reading some of the "helpful" threads above on sumps I am more confused than before.
Some info on my tank:
-It will be a reef tank
-Its a 75G bow
-No holes are drilled
-I do have some space under the tank for a sump if needed
Im looking for the best setup for this tank, let me hear them!

Thanks again everyone for the help!

cableguy

So if I get rid of my canister and go with a sump what do you put in the sump to "clean" the water?
So far I have found and read this: (If I go with a sump)
-I will put my heaters in the sump
-I will put my protein skimmer in the sump
-I will drill my tank ASAP with this kit on glass-holes.com
This I am still unclear about
:
-What is the filter device?
-What brand of pump is good? I see Pondmasters are decent flow for a good price
-700GPH overflow or a 1500GPH overflow for a 75G reef? (This is just the capicity of the overflow, not the pump.)
Am I missing anything else? I need to act on this ASAP because my pump is leaking quite a bit and need to replace it ASAP.

florida joe

IMO with your tank up and running And your admitted lack of knowledge concerning sumps in general I would stick with the canister filter

cableguy

I read that canisters are phosphate farms and that is bad for reef tanks...?
That is the reason I am looking into sumps. I would much rather read and learn about a good sump then spend 2-3 hundred on a canister filter. I would like for my protein skimmer and such to be hidden.
If all else fails, what is a good canister filter?

meowzer

How old is the canister you have now? Have you checked all the seals? How do you know you need a new one.....

cableguy

Its a Odyssea CFS4
It is leaking out of the top part (the pump) on the sides and then dripping down. I havent figured out why though.
Its currently sitting in a bucket.

meowzer

Originally Posted by cableguy
http:///forum/post/3249839
Its a Odyssea CFS4
It is leaking out of the top part (the pump) on the sides and then dripping down. I havent figured out why though.
Its currently sitting in a bucket.

Never heard of it....lol....Have you taken it apart...I mean ALL of it....seals, impellers....make sure the seals are not bent, or ripped.....lube them and try to fit top back on

louti

If you are the do it yourself type, I would suggest making your own sump. You can make baffles that slow the water flow and have macro algaes in the sump. You can also leave room for your protein skimmer and other equipment you may wish to have. You can use a filter sock for mechanical filtration.
If you don't want to build your own sump, I would recommend a wet/dry filter.

cableguy

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3249844
Never heard of it....lol....Have you taken it apart...I mean ALL of it....seals, impellers....make sure the seals are not bent, or ripped.....lube them and try to fit top back on

Took it apart... all I can say is I owe you big time. I am a huge DIY'er but I was thinking this is going to be 992421 pieces. HA! Super simple. It is leaking either from the in or the out.. not sure which, but it is filling the entire case and then leaking out the sides. The gaskets look good but I may have to get some new ones.
Is Permatex #2 Gasket Sealer Aquarium safe?
http://www.permatex.com/documents/td...tive/80015.pdf
Originally Posted by louti

http:///forum/post/3249903
If you are the do it yourself type, I would suggest making your own sump. You can make baffles that slow the water flow and have macro algaes in the sump. You can also leave room for your protein skimmer and other equipment you may wish to have. You can use a filter sock for mechanical filtration.
If you don't want to build your own sump, I would recommend a wet/dry filter.

Even if I fix my filter I am still going to build a sump I think. I was at HD today looking at Acrylic and I just need to get some arcylic bonding agent on line and then I will be set. They seem pretty easy and I love the pro's of a sump (from what I am reading).

Thanks for the help all
!!

florida joe

IMO before you jump into building a sump work out your plumbing on paper and figure out the space you will need under and behind your tank can you post a pic of your stand and tank in relation to the back of the tank and wall, i am going under the assumption you are not going to drill your tank

cableguy

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3249966
IMO before you jump into building a sump work out your plumbing on paper and figure out the space you will need under and behind your tank can you post a pic of your stand and tank in relation to the back of the tank and wall, i am going under the assumption you are not going to drill your tank

Yeah I am going to draw it all out first. I have look at many pictures and went to me LFS last night and looked at two of theirs.
I actually am going to drill my tank with a glass-holes.com kit. (the back side glass, not the bottom.
I will snap a pic and post it up here. Currently the tank is about 3-4 inches from the wall, when I do a water change, Im going to move it out a little more, CAREFULLY!. (Hardwood floors will make it a little easier.) I know its going to have to be like a 50% change, but the tank is new with no livestock so I'm not worried or in a rush either.
Thanks for the help Joe!!

florida joe

IMO Please do not move your tank with 35+ gallons of water in it. its not just the weight but the effect on the seals with the water movement.BTW I and many others enjoy sump builds so post as you go along. do you know what brand of overflow boxes you are going to get

cableguy

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3249974
IMO Please do not move your tank with 35+ gallons of water in it. its not just the weight but the effect on the seals with the water movement.BTW I and many others enjoy sump builds so post as you go along. do you know what brand of overflow boxes you are going to get
Thanks for the concern. As stated I have no live stock so if I need to empty it 90% I will. If that forces it into another mini cycle, so be it... No biggie

So I went to HD got a bunch of seals and replace the inlet and outlet seals.
Still was leaking inside, I could hear it. So I took it apart even further and found that one of the seals on the primer folded over a little. I folded it back and all is well now.

cableguy

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3250314
LOL...SEE,,,I have always told my kids they should listen to me
so it is ok now????

Haha yeah thanks for the info... amazing how simple this pump is.
Actually no its not fine. It is leaking again, just much slower. Looks like that fold permanitly dented the rubber gasket. I am going to see if I can find one somewhere, like home depot or the local plumbing store.
Its about a 3" gasket so this might be a little tough.