Need Fish Mentor, Tucson AZ

rnk9394

Hello Everyone
I looking to get into Salt Water. Currently have 3 FW tanks of various sizes.
I've researched quite a bite but am still confused about some finer ponts and set-up of a salt water tank.
What I'm looking for is a mentor in the Tucson area to guide me thru the process. I don't trust what the LFS are telling me as its seems to be different than what I have read on this site and others.
Help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rick

rnk9394

Thanks for the reply Guy
I've been to
Tropics of Tucson
Tropical kingdom
I've got some good info and then they make a statement about something need, etc. That makes me lose all confidence in what they told.
Did you have an aquarium in Tucson? Where did you shop?
Rick

bang guy

Yes I did. I shopped at a place called Saltwater Solutions owned by Roger Bull and located by the Famous Sams on Swan. I believe he went 100% mail order though.
Have you purchased any equipment yet?
Do you have a good saltwater book for reference?
Do you know what type of environment you'd like to set up (Fish, Reef, etc)?

rnk9394

I haven't purchased any equipment yet. Still trying to decide what size of tank I want. Something between 55 and 125 I think.
I bought the "The new Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta and it seems to be a very good book. Which helps me know that I want LR & LS along with a protein skimmer.
In the begining, it will just be a fish only tank. But certainly if things would well, I would move into more advanced things in Saltwater. I guess just want to do things right and not waste my money on things that I won't use once I get further into the hobby. I'm not afraid to spend the money(within reason) just want to make sure it the right solution.
Bang the place were you shopped is not in the phone book.
Rick

bang guy

You're already off to a better start than most. Going slow will always do better in this hobby than the typical Ready-Fire-Aim approach.
For you tank consider the minimum requirements of all of the fish you want to keep. Front to back depth is very visually pleasing and gives you a lot more freedom when aquascaping (stacking the rock). I'm really fond of 90's for a first tank but the 4 foot length eliminates most of the Tangs as residents.
I'm also a really big fan of a Reef-Ready tank that come with a built-in overflow. While not required, having a sump to hide heaters and your Skimmer will help a lot.
So, your first homework assignment is a stocking list of fish you're considering.

rnk9394

Sump Question
How big should it be?
What determines whether I want a sump or a fuge or both?
Can you buy constructed sump or fuge tanks or do you have build them yourself?
I guess that's my real question about setting up the saltwater tank. The questions and set-up about a sump or fuge with all the plumbing that seems to be done. That's has me concerned.
:help:

rnk9394

What is the best or most appealing live rock? Can't really tell from pictures on websites.
Marshall? Figi? Tonga?
Any opinions?
Thanks
Rick

bang guy

There's a picture contest going on. Take a look at some of the awesome tanks and just ask (in a seperate thread) what the people used from tanks that you like.
I use The Florida Aquacultured live rock like what they sell on this site. I prefer it because of the diversity of animals that come on the rock.
As far as sump size: You can buy prefab sumps but they are very expensive in my opinion. I've found that you can usually find someone's used 29 gal in the papers.
I'm a big fan of refugiums. Having a long sump that is sectioned into a refugium/sump is less error prone but mine have always been seperate containers.
Look in the Equipment forum for "Sump" ideas. There's a lot of info in there.

traib

When I lived in Tucson there was a local fish club. Ask LFS if their still around and go to meetings if they are. It was a good group when I lived there.