Need Help With Fish Compatibility

Scott Gold

I have been in the hobby for six months. I have a 220 Gallon Mixed Reef Tank. Currently I have

1) Purple Tang
2) Blue Throat Trigger
3) Crosshatch Trigger
4) Convict Tang
5) Powder Tang
6) Diamond Goby
7) Three Clowns
8) Yellow Eye Tang
9) A bunch of snails, Clam, Spiny Sea Urchin
10) A Ribbon Eel who is new and will not eat :headwally:

I would like to add the following

1) Six Line Wrasse
2) Foxface Rabbitfish
3) Harlequin Tusk
4) Blue Hippo Tang

Will these fish be compatible. I know there is some risk with the crustaceans. The aggressive fish is the Blue Powder Tang. Last time I added fish it took two days of him attacking a mirror but then I took the mirror away and everyone got along.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think you'll have an overload with the tangs. Have seen aggression yet?

Scott Gold

I think you'll have an overload with the tangs. Have seen aggression yet?
No aggression other than when I added the purple tang and the Blue Throat Trigger. The Powder Blue Tang was upset. I distracted him with a mirror and he attacked the mirror for two days. I took the mirror away and now everyone gets along and the Powder Blue forgot about the new fish. Guessing that I will have to do the same when I add these fish. My concern is if the new fish will go after the crustaceans and if the Tusk will get aggressive over time with the others.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would not add more tangs. Also consider that most of those fish are going to get rather large in your tank. And as they do, more aggression is likely. You may want to let things be for now, allowing the fish to grow and mature. There is no way of saying for sure if fish will get aggressive or when. Your stocking list certainly has that potential. And, just because they are currently playing nice, doesn't mean that will hold in the future. Crustaceans will be fair game for a tusk.

jay0705

I agree w beth. Tusk will eat inverts its there natural diet. The hippo is pushing things too

I have been in the hobby for six months. I have a 220 Gallon Mixed Reef Tank. Currently I have

Will these fish be compatible. I know there is some risk with the crustaceans. The aggressive fish is the Blue Powder Tang. Last time I added fish it took two days of him attacking a mirror but then I took the mirror away and everyone got along.
I haven't heard of the mirror approach before, but it sounds like it would be a good way to save new fish from some aggression. I've been wanting to add another tang to the tank with my powder brown, but he is pretty aggressive with new fish.

Has anyone else in the forum tried this approach? If so, what kind of success did you have?