Need help with plant selection

soulsigma

I AM A NEWBEE TO THE MARINE HOBBY, MY 75G TANK HAS BEEN UP AND RUNNING SINCE 12/27/08 AND i WANT TO ADD SOME PLANTS TO MY TANK. i WAS THINKING ABOUT THE SHAVING BRUSH OR THE BLADE OR EITHER MAIDENS HAIR BUT BEFORE I FORGE AHEAD WITH THIS I NEED YOU GUYS INPUT AND EXPERTISE ON THIS AS I HEARD ALL MARINE PLATS AT SOME POINT GO ASEXUAL AND RELEASE TOXIN WHICH WILL CAUSE A TANK TO CRASH AND INTERNS WOULD CAUSE ME TO CRASH
AS THIS IS NOT AN EASY HOBBY BUT THE REWARDS THE COME WHEN ONE OVER COMES THE CHALLENGES AND OBSTACLES WHEN ESTABLISHING AN CLOSED ENVIRONMENT IS WELL WORTH THE TIME, MONEY AND EFFORT THAT GOES INTO THE HOBBY

salt life

what type of lights do you have? I know most of the plants need alot of wattage to grow healthy. And I don't know about nutrients with plants but you might have to dose things like iron,iodine,calcium and stuff like that for a planted tank, not an expert but that is what i've read.

soulsigma

Thanks for your suport, the lighting system I have is a 48” Metal Halide System Total Output 760W ,System Support: 2x 250W DE HQI, 4x 65W Compact Fluorescent, 6x Dual Bluemoon LED.
This lighting system is a ideal high light output fixture for reef hobbyist at all levels. Featuring metal halide, compact fluorescent, and bluemoon LED in one system. Easy plug 'n' play design makes assembly a breeze. Built-in cooling fan for air circulation, preventing heat built up. Highly polished reflector increases reflective efficiency. Both, tempered glass lens and acrylic lens, protect light bulbs from water splashing. Individual on/off switches and power cords allow for dawn and dusk effect. System comes complete with external electronic HQI ballast and internal electronic compact fluorescent ballast.
Product Specification
• Light fixture (Approx. 48“x 15“x 3“)
• Support: 2x 250W DE HQI, 4x 65W Compact Fluorescent, 6x Dual
Bluemoon LED
• Non corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
• External HQI Ballast
• Internal Compact Fluorescent Ballast
• Built-in Cooling Fan
• Tempered glass lens and acrylic lens
• Individual power cords and on/off switches
• CE Certified
This should be more than enough lighting for the plants, fish, LR&LS, and maybe one day some corals. The thing of it is, is that I scard the plants will go asexual even under close monotering and cause my tank to crash

salt life

Originally Posted by soulsigma
http:///forum/post/2979696
Thanks for your suport, the lighting system I have is a 48” Metal Halide System Total Output 760W ,System Support: 2x 250W DE HQI, 4x 65W Compact Fluorescent, 6x Dual Bluemoon LED.
This lighting system is a ideal high light output fixture for reef hobbyist at all levels. Featuring metal halide, compact fluorescent, and bluemoon LED in one system. Easy plug 'n' play design makes assembly a breeze. Built-in cooling fan for air circulation, preventing heat built up. Highly polished reflector increases reflective efficiency. Both, tempered glass lens and acrylic lens, protect light bulbs from water splashing. Individual on/off switches and power cords allow for dawn and dusk effect. System comes complete with external electronic HQI ballast and internal electronic compact fluorescent ballast.
Product Specification
• Light fixture (Approx. 48“x 15“x 3“)
• Support: 2x 250W DE HQI, 4x 65W Compact Fluorescent, 6x Dual
Bluemoon LED
• Non corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
• External HQI Ballast
• Internal Compact Fluorescent Ballast
• Built-in Cooling Fan
• Tempered glass lens and acrylic lens
• Individual power cords and on/off switches
• CE Certified
This should be more than enough lighting for the plants, fish, LR&LS, and maybe one day some corals. The thing of it is, is that I scard the plants will go asexual even under close monotering and cause my tank to crash

yeah you have enough light

The only plant I read about that goes asexual is caluepra ( I think that is how you spell it) so I don't know about others, and I think maddens hair is toxic to some fish? not positive on this just trying to remember what i've read from articles. how bout you make a list of the plants your interested in, post it on here, and we can google them to see what requirements they need. IE, some need different flow, lower light/bright light, etc...

meowzer

I had gotten some shaving brush, blade, and halimeda with pc lights (before my MH) and they all died...Now that I have MH I have been considering trying them again....I think they are all safe plants...

nycbob

all of those plants such as halimeda and shaving brush will need proper calcium and alk to grow. the maidens hair is not really toxic in the sense if tangs eat it, it will die. tangs simply wont eat it bc it sends out a chemical to repel fish from eating it. and what's up with the CAP letters?

soulsigma

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2979852
all of those plants such as halimeda and shaving brush will need proper calcium and alk to grow. the maidens hair is not really toxic in the sense if tangs eat it, it will die. tangs simply wont eat it bc it sends out a chemical to repel fish from eating it. and what's up with the CAP letters?
LOL THE CAP LETTERS ARE PART OF WHO I AM
Mean while back at the ranch we were discussing me creating a list of plants thah I want to place in my 75g tank

1)SHAVING BRUSH
2) THE BLADE
3) MAIDENS HAIR , this would be my first choice

As of 03/06/09 may water parameters are as follow:
Specific Gravity 1.020 - Salinity 27
Temperature 80 - 83°F
pH 8.1
Alkalinity 8 - 12 dKH
Ammonia (NH3) Undetectable 0ppm
Nitrite (NO2)undetectable 0ppm
Nitrate - Nitrogen (NO3)20 ppm has been like this since my tank has completed its' cycle

Phosphate (PO4) 0.2 ppm
Calcium - 450 ppm
Magnesium - 1350 ppm
Iodine - 0.10 ppm
Strontium - 14 ppm
So I should not have to supplement as yet, maybe and thats a big maybe, I will once I add some corals or inverts that use the minerals up. And I won't be adding these until 12/09 or sometime in 2010 when my tank is stable.