need help with stary voltage?

quads4_lif

Oops I mean stray
I got up this morning and noticed my new zoas floated off of the rock I placed them on, so I stuck my hand in to place them back where they were and I felt a small shock. I unpluged my power heads and heaters and pluged them back in one at a time untill I figured out which was leaking the voltage. My question is how do you install a grounding probe and also What is a better way of checking for stray voltage and how do you do it?
Thanks

bang guy

GFCI outlet is a must. You're lucky to be alive.
A Titanium probe in the overflow, sump, or display tank grounded to an outlet or waterpipe will assist the GFCI when there's a voltage leak.

stephish

Bang Guy do you know, can an outlet be changed out to a GFCI or does the wiring have to be changed?

quads4_lif

My house is old and I am re wireing it and none of the outlets are grounded? So I guess I am going to have to use a probe some how?

ol'salty

You can run a new wire for the ground from your water pipes to the new 3rd plug of the outlet. If you can't do this, a GFIC breaker in the box will be better than nothing. It ties the ground in to the breaker and grounds it there...not as good as running the wire but better than nothing...(in case your house is on a slab)...Even if that outlet was the only one you ran the extra wire too it would be better and then install a GFIC outlet would be the most desirable way imo

quads4_lif

I would but I am still unsure if the maxijet I removed was the one with the stray voltage I am wanting to check my tank but I dont want to stick my hand back in there. Is there something I can use to test?

extremepcs

Pick up a cheap VOM (volt ohm meter) from radio shack or an auto parts store and stick the tip of the red probe in the tank. Stick the black one in the ground plug of an outlet (the middle one) or on a water pipe.
And yes, you can replace a standard grounded outlet with a GFCI outlet. If the outlet only has 2 wires (black and white) and no bare copper wire, then it may not be grounded properly. Some older homes have the ground lead screwed to the electrical box. Note - I'm not an electrician by any means... Just an avid DIYer. As they always say on TV, "when in doubt, call in a licensed electrician".

quads4_lif

Would a copper water pipe upto my fridge work as a ground? It is the closest to my aquaium. And my house only has the 2 wires no grounded plug?

quads4_lif

the one I got has a 600 and a 200 AC with a V~? I am guessing its the same? (never used one of these) If it is It is jumping around going from 000 to 3.4 and every where inbetween

bang guy

Originally Posted by stephish
Bang Guy do you know, can an outlet be changed out to a GFCI or does the wiring have to be changed?
Yes, Home Depot will sell GFCI Outlets. Just replace the standard one with the GFCI one.
If you can find the first outlet in the series then put the GFCI there, it will protect the entire series. If you can't find it or don't know then just replace the outlet you're using for the aquarium.