need HOB protein skimmer

okiereefer2

Most posts on this subject are a couple of years old or older. Thought there might be some new info .Any suggestions for a reasonably priced hob for my 120 gal? Thanks

snakeblitz33

I believe Coralife makes a good HOB protein skimmer for a 220g - which is almost double the volume for your tank, and it's reasonably priced at $184. They make one for a 125g for $140 and a 65g for $93 as well.
I have had coralife protein skimmers for years now and I have run across a couple of problems, but way less than other skimmer brands. They are easy to adjust and "dial in" and easy to maintain. They even come with a nice bubble trap that you have to add to the skimmers output so that you don't have a lot of microbubbles released back into the tank. It's a nice skimmer and worth every penny.
Others may disagree - but I'll defend it tooth and nail!
There are also Eshopps protein skimmers, but they are only rated for up to 100g that are reasonably priced at $140 on the high end.
Of course, I'm always on a really strict budget when it comes to saltwater aquariums, so I opt for the more reasonably priced but great performance skimmers
These days I go skimmerless though - I use an algae scrubber as the only filtration for my system.

florida joe

IMO you don’t want to skimp on a protein skimmer, look into the AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer with Rio 1400 Pump.
BTW have you considered a sump and skimmer combo?

1guydude

+1 on not skimping on things in this hobby such as filters and lights... u can get away with some of it but u may end up finding out that its a pos piece of equipment and buying the more expensive unit later anyway....thus uve wasted ur money! I havent heard anything bad about the esshops skimmers though.
My 1st skimmer was a $40 unit off the auction site and now it is just a piece of plastic sitting in the cloeset!

al&burke

I had a coral life 125 on my 65 - they only way I got it to work properly is building a HOB baffle fuge - then and only then did it work half decent, but I couldn't stand the pump in the tank. I upgraded to a SWC 160 cone skimmer - in sump.

okiereefer2

Thanks for the input--my intention is not to skimp on anything, but in the case of skimmers, lots of the posts on here say some are just way over-priced.,
I have considered the sump system--my biggest concern is I live in the country in an area prone to power outages. Just dont want to come home and find my tank siphoned all over the house.
Tank is 8 months old, and other than algae trying to grow on the sand and higher than desirable nitrates, its doing pretty well.
The place I bought my start-up supplies from kind of has a simplistic approach to it all, lots of live rock, lots of water movement, and lots of clean-up critters. No skimmer, no sump. I have two biowhheel filters and four power heads. Fish and inverts all seem happy--just floor of the tank always needs cleaned..
Details about equipment I might want to buy are frustratingly vague--much more details to be found in the forums,6500 posts I believe there are--lol
Thanks again--and anyone with a" next step" suggestion, feel free to share..

1guydude

Sump is indeed the way to go...my next system is going to be sumped and hopefully ill put all my tanks into one! Leaving a QT and a frag tank for the leftovers!