Need Id Asap Help!!!

twogirls

So I looked in my tnak tonight after the lights her out and this thing was "waving" in the water. It was about 10 inches long so I immediately grabbed the turkey baster and removed it into a container. When I put it in the container it broke apart into many of them. They are greenish brown worm looking things that when they move it gets really "squigly". My camera suck, but hopefully these help.

trippkid

Do they have bristles on them? I've seen them swimming at night too, at least that is what I caught when I noticed it. Bristle worm(s) possibly. Pic is kind of fuzzy.

nolatrav

Did you notice if they were coming outta any LR? Could be a form of spaghetti worms. If so they are harmless and from what I understand good scavengers. I have some in my rocks, they come out only at night and I've seen them extend 10-15 inches. Hope you get it identified.

twogirls

they were hovering above the rocks just in the water, but I have a ton of rock so I may not have seen it when it was connected. the way the move has given me the willies
that's how I feel when I look at these things
sorry about the picture quality. 4 year old camera. I can't see bristles with my eyes, but the camera caught them when the picture was blown up

twogirls

well, I'm going to bed and they are staying out of the tank until I know for sure what they are. So some one out there, help me out with an id. They don't look like bristtle worms to me. thanks to all in advance

1journeyman

Send Bang Guy a PM to look at this thread. He'll be able to ID it I'm sure.
Doesn't look like a Bristle to me either and I've never heard of Bristles being able to break apart and survive.

bang guy

They look like some type of Dorville Polychaete. They are carnivores if that's what they are. I can't tell you what they eat, probably other worms.
I once has some that only ate Aiptasia.

mushroomss

some type of bristle worm,When they reproduce they swim into the water column.They they hit the air on the surface of the water and split into many smaller bristle worms.IMO bristle worms are beneficial cleaners of your tank.People mistake them as being bad because they tend to prey on weak or sick organisms in the tank.That is ofentimes why you see them eaiting a dead or dying peice of coral.Put them back in your tank.IMO

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
They look like some type of Dorville Polychaete. They are carnivores if that's what they are. I can't tell you what they eat, probably other worms.
I once has some that only ate Aiptasia.
yes definatly a Polychaete of some kind , theres thousands of polychaetes thuogh, def. not a parisite