Need ideas for catching a fish

bang guy

Here's the scenario:
I have a PJ Cardinal that carries eggs every couple of months. I want to try raising the fry.
Here's the problem:
I need to put him in a seperate tank after he's carrying but before the eggs hatch.
He's really really skiddish when he's carrying eggs. If anything touches the water he darts for the rocks. At night he sleeps hidden in the rocks.
With my Banggai, they sleep in the open so I can just wait until midnight & turn on all the lights. They are stunned by the light (they have huge eyes) and I can easily scoop them out.
Here's the rules:
If the fish gets too stressed it will simply dump the eggs. I won't use a net to catch it, they are too stressful. I will use a net to corner it or guide it, but not to actually catch it.
I will read all suggestions. Please chime in with whatever you have.
Bang

R

royalshrimp

i doubt it would eat with a mouthful of eggs???:notsure:

sabby

I had really good luck catching some black cardinals using the soda bottle fish trap method. However, that method relies on the fish being lured in by the smell of the food you put in as bait. And correct me if I'm wrong (you're the expert), but don't cardinals stop eating during the time they are carrying eggs? The bottle trap might not work for that reason, but it might at least be worth a shot.

R

royalshrimp

Originally posted by Kip4130
skipped right over the egg part,, sorry:rolleyes:
i need to read closer

its alright... we all make mistakes:yes:

bang guy

Originally posted by Kip4130
first off.. what does a PJ eat?

They have been eating everything that I put in there. Unfortunately, Royalshrimp is correct - they don't eat for the full 15 days that they carry the eggs.

reefsoe

My Idea...
What I would do... Try a long peice of pvc pipe. Get a 6inch or so long 2inch wide peice. Cap one end and place it in the water. At first nobody will go near it. But im thinking since the cardinal like dark places... He will go in eventually and maybe even with some coaxing or if your lucky just to escape the net.

R

royalshrimp

i knew a site but i forgot the name... someone gave me the site on here because i had to catch a sixline... maybe do a search??? it doesnt work for me:confused:

R

royalshrimp

can you describe the behaveor of the cardinal exactly????:thinking:

beachbumtx

Hiya!,
I like the PVC pipe idea, but I would take it a step further. Try to notice the area that he always enters the rocks to hide and/or sleep. Set up your PVC in there. One end should be capped. Let it stay there for however long it takes for them to get use to it. The next time the PJs have eggs, wait until he goes into it to hide or sleep and take out the pipe. Might be able to coax it in there once they are use to the structure.
A 20oz plastic bottle witht he neck cut off might work as well.

bang guy

This picture pretty much illustrates their behavior. They just hang around the front of the tank & eat. The light beige inside the mouth are the eggs.

reefsoe

Use the PVC .. i like the idea of hiding it in the rockwork also IF you can do it... that way when he goes to hide you cover the entrance with the net and you have him

neowind

Here is what I would recommend because it was recommended to me. Know the tanks that have the 2 part glass top covers so you can open the glass to feed the fish? Put this in a corner of your tank and leave an opening so the fish can swim in it. Since the glass is clear they won't be too afraid of it and may swim in it fast. Once it comes in for a peak the glass bends just like the when you feed the fish and the fish is now trapped in a small location in which you can now dip your net in and catch it with ease.

bang guy

Originally posted by MR. Tuna
maby try cornering it with a net, and make is swim into a large ziplock bag. :notsure: :D

As soon as a net touches the water the fish dives into the rocks.

ryebread

The Trap-eze does work........it works really well........if the fish is eating. You have to put some food into the Trap-eze to get them to go in......typically anyway. The Cardinals aren't going to eat so I think it may not work.
At our store.......we have a 300g reef and we occasionally have to remove someone. I have found the easiest way (if the fish isn't eating) is to use a piece of glass or Acrylic and try to slip it in front of the rock structure.......I know this will pose a challenge with the skiddish PJ though.
I would also try the PVC idea........can't hurt.
Good luck.